US Army's first smartphone will be powered by Google Android, not Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

The enemy will be using iPhones and they'll have an advantage. Go figure. The U.S. Army decided to go with second best. I thought the military had some sort of unlimited budget and yet they cheaped out.

Military does not have an unlimited budget. In fact, most times they go with whichever company offers the cheapest deal (why do you think there are so many Dell's throughout the military?) Military buys some really cheap garbage.

As for this particular project, nothing will even be fielded until 2013. And by then, I'm sure something better will have come out and this will get dropped.
  • Reply 22 of 182
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

(getting political...) We'd be a lot better off (and a hell of a lot smarter with a hell of a lot less social problems) switching the military and education budgets. What we're doing now and have been for 50 years sure in the world ain't working that's for sure...

(staying political...) Obama is pretty well educated! We're not better off. The man has no common sense, street smarts and is lacking in the humanities, AND this nation has never been more divided! So much for increased education! Besides increases in education funds wouldn't go to the children, but to the Union bosses first, then teachers (increased pay, free health care, and 80% pension), NEA, then maybe what's left goes to the state for distribution towards the children. Just see WI! But I will agree with you somewhat... What we've been doing for the past two years sure in the world ain't working that's for sure.

Regarding story, when it comes to Apple and Google, I'll pick Apple any day of the week and twice on Sunday! When it comes to our soldiers, especially those on the front lines, regardless of how one feels about the wars, I'll pick the US soldier any time, any where and if anything can be done to ensure their safety and victory and come back home soon, I'll choose whatever it takes to enhance that safety and victory, even if that something is Android!

/

/

/
  • Reply 23 of 182
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Although I'm out of the defense biz now, going with Android was probably a no-brainer. They need the ability to harden the hardware, swap out comm software, customize the login/home software, etc. Yeah, so a couple hundred thousand games will be missing and some nifty music software. They probably will wall that garden out the wazoo anyway and not allow any non-approved software onto the devices.

I worked with the Battle Command folks when they were here at Ft Monmouth and they're not idiots. They're actually a pretty sharp bunch. And General Chiarelli is probably one of the most tech-savvy guys with stars on his shoulder... we used to use his name as a verb for something that gets pulled out of R&D and fielded sooner than anyone could have imagined (leading to a lot of late nights for software engineers but soldiers with the best stuff in the world.)

Anyway, I'm sure there will still be a heck of a lot of iPhones on the next battlefield. It just won't run JBC-P.
  • Reply 24 of 182
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    This is a great result.

Apple keeps the Military brass out of your lives by the fact it has no intention of exposing it's technologies and patents to the CIA, NSA, and Armed Forces.

We had this problem back at NeXT when the CIA approached us at NeXT, Andrew Stone of Stone Design and a few key developers [They wanted NeXT and those key developers to developer solutions for distributed databases and keep track of US Citizens].

It was shot down.

I can't remember if this was first pushed by Perot but it was shot down by Steve and all that the CIA received was a custom build of NeXTStep 3.0 and shortly afterwards they went with Microsoft.
  • Reply 25 of 182
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

(staying political...) Obama is pretty well educated! We're not better off. The man has no common sense, street smarts and is lacking in the humanities, AND this nation has never been more divided! So much for increased education! Besides increases in education funds wouldn't go to the children, but to the Union bosses first, then teachers (increased pay, free health care, and 80% pension), NEA, then maybe what's left goes to the state for distribution towards the children. Just see WI! But I will agree with you somewhat... What we've been doing for the past two years sure in the world ain't working that's for sure.

Regarding story, when it comes to Apple and Google, I'll pick Apple any day of the week and twice on Sunday! When it comes to our soldiers, especially those on the front lines, regardless of how one feels about the wars, I'll pick the US soldier any time, any where and if anything can be done to ensure their safety and victory and come back home soon, I'll choose whatever it takes to enhance that safety and victory, even if that something is Android!

/

/

/

I disagree with everything you said in the first paragraph, but I'd really this forum didn't turn into a political flamewar, so I'm going to refrain and I'd encourage others to stay on topic as well.
  • Reply 26 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

I think it's quite a stretch to suggest linux will become Windows when it comes to security.

Really? I seem to recall numerous accounts of the Android OS being compromised by nefarious and malevolent apps. Does this mean the OS is insecure - not really. does it meant the implementation of the OS by Google is insecure - ABSOLUTELY.

Give me a walled garden any day of the week as opposed to an "open" garbage dump.

The Army has once again proven why it is the lesser of the Military branches. Flaky body armor, sub-optimal weaponry, bottom of the barrel recruits, and now the dregs of the smartphone technology. Go Army!
  • Reply 27 of 182
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    So many ignorant and stupid, yes stupid, people posting here. If it was your son or daughter going into combat, the last thing you'd want is for them to have a device because it's "slick", which is what Apple is all about these days. There will never be ruggedized iPhone hardware. Apple would never allow someone else to modify iOS to handle the security and sensitive information this devices will be expected to carry. Regardless of cost, Apple would in no way be responsive to the needs of the military for such a device and how it would need to be managed and controlled. Sure, use a Mac if you are sitting comfy in an office in the Pentagon or cruising around the oceans on an aircraft carrier. But you don't want Apple hardware on the battlefield.

I don't care what your opinions are about how the US uses it's military, but at least have a little respect for the men and women who are put in harm's way by our idiot politicians. No way in hell would I want my kid going into combat with an iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 182
    iOS is not suitable for the military period. iOS does not allow sideloading of apps, that's basically it. Let's not try to make too much out of this news, although again, I'm sure the article is written in a way to maximize the clicks.
  • Reply 29 of 182
    i can't wait tiil the day some soldier download some kind of hot girls wallpaper, turn out that will open a back door for the enemies to get all your info . Good luck with the crap beta O.S
  • Reply 30 of 182
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Maybe, but if I recall it was Google that got hacked by the Chinese and lost a lot of user information to the Chinese. You know stuff like Gmail accounts. Shortly thereafter, many folks, my stepfather included had his gmail account hacked and he was locked out of it by the hacker. Still hasn't gained access, while friends receive email in his name.

Don't really hear about that happening to Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Makes sense.

Google is an American company.

Apple is a Chinese company.

• Reply 31 of 182
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by morgan.nelson View Post

Really? I seem to recall numerous accounts of the Android OS being compromised by nefarious and malevolent apps. Does this mean the OS is insecure - not really. does it meant the implementation of the OS by Google is insecure - ABSOLUTELY.

Give me a walled garden any day of the week as opposed to an "open" garbage dump.

The Army has once again proven why it is the lesser of the Military branches. Flaky body armor, sub-optimal weaponry, bottom of the barrel recruits, and now the dregs of the smartphone technology. Go Army!

Do you really think they'd be using off-the-shelf Android? The very fact that they can customize it and lock it down was probably a driving factor in the decision. It wouldn't be a walled garden, it would be a fortress. With an iOS device they'd always be at the whim of Apple to address any security concerns. With Android, they can strictly control how any software gets added to the device.

Or did you really think they'd let soldiers just log into an Android marketplace and download whatever they wanted onto the device.
  • Reply 32 of 182
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    In truth, it really isn't Android at all. Android has to run Google services, like maps, etc. Android is a marketing term for a version of the OS that Google has approved.

If you want to modify it without Google's stamp of approval, Google doesn't allow one to call it Android.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Do you really think they'd be using off-the-shelf Android? The very fact that they can customize it and lock it down was probably a driving factor in the decision. It wouldn't be a walled garden, it would be a fortress. With an iOS device they'd always be at the whim of Apple to address any security concerns. With Android, they can strictly control how any software gets added to the device.

Or did you really think they'd let soldiers just log into an Android marketplace and download whatever they wanted onto the device.

• Reply 33 of 182
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    It's a device built by contracted company. Like Apple will allow that... And they probably wouldn't have time to work with the army anyway seeing the iPad 2 is still in a "mother of all backlog".
  • Reply 34 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrMacintosh View Post

How is that any different from the tracking bug on the iPhone?

I suppose they went with Android because it would be easier to customize for their needs. I wonder how this will turn out.

How is apples tracking any different than googles?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ech_LEADSecond

Only difference is that apple creates a .db file on the syncing computer
  • Reply 35 of 182
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrMacintosh View Post

How is that any different from the tracking bug on the iPhone?

I suppose they went with Android because it would be easier to customize for their needs. I wonder how this will turn out.

On iPhone it's a bug, on Android it's a feature.
  • Reply 36 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple-ecosystems View Post

The former CEO, now Chairman of the Board of Google, has been a close sci-tech adviser of the administration since the beginning. And, if I am not mistaken, Google spends more for lobby funds than Apple.

I got nothing to back it up, but I doubt cozying up to any current administration is going to automatically dictate Pentagon equipment-buying decisions. There are many layers in between, and decisions like this can take the coming and going of more than one administration before they are made.
  • Reply 37 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

(staying political...) Besides increases in education funds wouldn't go to the children, but to the Union bosses first, then teachers (increased pay, free health care, and 80% pension), NEA, then maybe what's left goes to the state for distribution towards the children.

But seriously, in a hundred years or so people will look back in wonder at a society that deluded itself into believing that teachers are the enemy.
  • Reply 38 of 182
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

So many ignorant and stupid, yes stupid, people posting here. If it was your son or daughter going into combat, the last thing you'd want is for them to have a device because it's "slick", which is what Apple is all about these days. There will never be ruggedized iPhone hardware. Apple would never allow someone else to modify iOS to handle the security and sensitive information this devices will be expected to carry. Regardless of cost, Apple would in no way be responsive to the needs of the military for such a device and how it would need to be managed and controlled. Sure, use a Mac if you are sitting comfy in an office in the Pentagon or cruising around the oceans on an aircraft carrier. But you don't want Apple hardware on the battlefield.

I don't care what your opinions are about how the US uses it's military, but at least have a little respect for the men and women who are put in harm's way by our idiot politicians. No way in hell would I want my kid going into combat with an iPhone.

Maybe you should show some respect by not stepping out of line and writing checks your body can't cash. It's not just son's and daughters asses that are on the line, it has been some of our and our friends.

Have you participated in the design of a device destined for a combat zone? Doubtful. Do you work with soldier/engineers designing devices for things that they want in combat zones? No, you don't. Do you know about the tactically critical hardware limitations to ALL of these commercially available devices due to signal leakage? No, you probably don't.

If you did know about those things you would understand why they learn what can be accomplished by learning to program the iPhone, then work out how to find custom hardware that doesn't have the above problems, and then they are stuck with doing the device in Android because another previous poster was correct, Apple isn't about to redesign a signals secure iPhone for the military.
  • Reply 39 of 182
    srathisrathi Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If you want to modify it without Google's stamp of approval, Google doesn't allow one to call it Android.

Source?
  • Reply 40 of 182
    [QUOTE=Ecphorizer;1852940]Well no wonder they are using Android. No Apple device is even capable of exchanging medieval requests since, well, medieval times several hundred years ago.

It obviously should have been MEDICAL tasks. Damn predictive text!

Crap is going a bit far though, it's very unusual to find such errors in Applreinsider posts.