Apple, Google called to U.S. Senate hearing on mobile privacy

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m sure he means #21.

Oh the one where it says apple only sends data out of various sorts if you turn on location services? But it certainly doesn't send out consolidated.db... the reason for this mockrage.

The only point he could make is about iAds.. but even then he could opt out. But since he is so against using web services based on location (apparently) he need not fear. But if he did- he could opt out of that too.

Don't get me wrong- I don't agree with being trackable and all kinds of other things of that nature- but we all make a concession in order to use location services. If it is really a concern- I mean truly- there are ways to anonymize yourself. It kind of makes me chuckle, despite the principle of the matter, knowing odds are some of these bitches whining about this are people with utterly vapid and boring lives of zero interest outside of advertising interests.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

... It kind of makes me chuckle, despite the principle of the matter, knowing odds are some of these bitches whining about this are people with utterly vapid and boring lives of zero interest outside of advertising interests.

Too True! If you are not really rich or a CEO of a secretive company or an extort-able politician or a most wanted criminal or enemy of the state...then you are just a consumer.

And as a consumer, sorry to burst people's egos, they aren't tracking you, they are tracking George.

You know the guy on the $1 bill who some times travels around with you.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

This meeting does absolutely nothing for the citizen but waste Government resources. You may as well bring MasterCard/Visa/AMEX and other credit lenders in as well since my swipe puts at least my card at a specified terminal at a specified time.

[...]

Faux outrage coming from the media and faux concern coming from the Government.

Amen!
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:

Bahhh Bahhh says the sheep.

So your cell phone and credit card free then, eh? Cash only?
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DogGone View Post

Web bugs are rife in every web page you surf.

For the past couple of months I've been using Ghostery to block web-bugs.

Hopefully we will have more visibility on location tracking in the future.

No kidding - Ghostery shows 21 on these pages alone!
  • Reply 46 of 76
    THIS is what the Senate is worried about??! Here's a cure for mobile tracking: DON'T USE A MOBILE DEVICE.

Now fix campaign finance, amend to keep a balanced budget and increase funding to alternative energy based in U.S. by decreasing monies to pointless foreign wars.

Done.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:

Don't get me wrong- I don't agree with being trackable and all kinds of other things of that nature- but we all make a concession in order to use location services. If it is really a concern- I mean truly- there are ways to anonymize yourself. It kind of makes me chuckle, despite the principle of the matter, knowing odds are some of these bitches whining about this are people with utterly vapid and boring lives of zero interest outside of advertising interests.

Wow. You really are making a great case for yourself, with all the slurs, Ad Hominems, and pathetic self-contradictions.

Of course, without the slightest hint of vapidity.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?I want to know whether consumers have been informed of what is being tracked and stored by Apple and Google and whether those tracking and storage features can be disabled,? said Madigan. ?It?s important that these companies ensure that their users? private information is protected.?

I don't see this kind of concern over Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion gathering data on people. Or for that matter, the FBI. Can private citizens disable that "feature"?

No?
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

So your cell phone and credit card free then, eh? Cash only?

no. what's your point?
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I don't see this kind of concern over Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion gathering data on people. Or for that matter, the FBI. Can private citizens disable that "feature"?

No?

There we go again. Two wrongs make a right. Apple is no better than Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Or rather, since Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion do what they do (leaving aside the fact that they are required by law to let you know what they do if you ask them), Apple, Google, et. al can do what they want to do. There is no difference between a normal expectation of privacy and matters of national security. FBI is the same as Apple. The private sector is the same as the government because, if a citizen can disable his/her cell pone, (s)he must automatically be able to disable government.....

Need I go on?

The fallacious (and sophomoric) arguments in this thread are beyond belief.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. You really are making a great case for yourself, with all the slurs, Ad Hominems, and pathetic self-contradictions.

Of course, without the slightest hint of vapidity.

slurs? lol.

ooo kay. did your feeble mind fall apart and you lose your intellectual bearings when I said an honest observation not even directed at you personally?

If you understood the technological concession I was talking about- it wouldn't be a pathetic self-contradiction. It only seems so to you due to your magazine article assisted understanding.

And of course my life is vapid- I do nothing to propel humanity to a higher level. Of course, I make small contributions here and there I'd like to think make some kind of meaningful impact. Why? Do you have yourself disillusioned that your life isn't vapid?
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:

ooo kay. did your feeble mind fall apart and you lose your intellectual bearings when I said an honest observation not even directed at you personally?

Who said anything about it being directed at me personally?

Oh wait, except for that 'feeble' bit.....

I'll stand by 'pathetic self-contradictions.'
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who said anything about it being directed at me personally?

Oh wait, except for that 'feeble' bit.....

I'll stand by 'pathetic self-contradictions.'

Of course you will. It's completely self serving. God forbid you did a bit more research outside of a news article that shock and awed you with presentation. Btw- I didn't call you feeble.. I asked if you were. I think you are getting lost in trying to cop out of talking tech by acting offended. but it sounds like you pull the mockrage hysterical card at the drop of a hat anyways.

So- you aren't talking about consolidated.db. Your concern is anonymous information collected every 12 hours by apple consisting of exactly what you let them have.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1975
  • Reply 54 of 76
    The more this crap is in the media the more my memory gets recall...

Telcos have done this with mobile forever. The phones ping the towers with their unique ID, the towers know where you are to route the call, the telco knows where the towers are and record the data "for network analysis". That data might be called on by a warrant but just as easily it might be sold, or an individual might use it, or stolen...

They have it vast repositories on us.

I'd question if Nokia et al haven't had devices pinging base for yonks querying updates or whatever (since Nokia in my experience never patched a damn thing on their feature phones) and why wouldn't that ave included unique ID of phone, tower and carrier.

People act as if this stuff just started happening. Maybe not in a file on your phone, more so on a remote server, which is hardly more private, quite the opposite.

Fear of the month

Keeps us all week

Glued to the news

That I call the confuse

Feeding us illness

An anxious gnawing

That we'll get killed

While we sleep.

Yeah it keeps us all week
  • Reply 55 of 76
    Boy when Apple slips, people are so excited. Who CARES about this. I wouldn't know how to access it, the information doesn't get transmitted, and it may just be an iOS 4 bug! Whoop-de-doo! I am so glad that the federal govt has time to deal with this and not the other so very pressing matters that lay in front of us. We are about to go broke, our credit rating has been downgraded, this country is scr***d! We have Donald Duck as president who won't take control of the Libyan situation, gas prices are through the roof! AND THE PEOPLE RUNNING UP OIL PRICES ARE WALL STREET SPECULATORS!!!!! Why doesnt the former terrible comedian senator franken worry about that! Where is the investigation into our entire country being fleeced by wall street and the oil companies? Where is the class action suit being brought out for that? Why don't the two morons who filed suit against Apple file suit against the congress, wall street, and the oil companies for robbing us of our money at every level of our daily living! Who else is as frustrated about this as much if not more than I am! Absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?I want to know whether consumers have been informed of what is being tracked and stored by Apple and Google and whether those tracking and storage features can be disabled,"

Pretty obvious to me.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    lazollazol Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DogGone View Post

The reality is that businesses have been collecting information about you for years. Web bugs are rife in every web page you surf. The advent of GPS and cell location services offer a new way to gather valued added information.

Apple always asks if you are willing to let an app use location services. They also probably want to know location density and signal quality.

The interesting thing will be when someone gets convicted for being at a crime scene when a crime was being committed. Of course it could also be used to provide an alibi.

For the past couple of months I've been using Ghostery to block web-bugs.

Hopefully we will have more visibility on location tracking in the future.

Thanks for the tip on GHOSTERY!

It makes Safari much faster, scary to see how much data is collected at visiting some site.

"Just because they following me, it doesn't mean I am paranoid"...
  • Reply 58 of 76
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    This is the "gubment" pretending to care about our privacy. They violate our privacy more than anyone. PLEASE. Who cares about the tracking information, if you are not out doing anything wrong then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. This info. would have been great for those convicted for crimes they didn't commit. They could have proved their whereabouts. This info. could be used for many positive advances in technology such as missing person's reports ect.. Only paranoid criminals should be worried about this crap. What a waste of taxpayers money. You really think the gubment cares about your privacy? Every cell phone and GPS on the market has tracking info.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Did i miss the point? How is this thing news? I opted out WAY back when this was first discussed on appleinsider. So did everybody else i know personaly whom own an iphone.

I tried Iphone tracker but I tcouldnt find anything of interest on my machine....

Are we talking about the same thing here?
  • Reply 60 of 76
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So what happens when this little group of government run up against the other group of government who demand this information be kept BY PHONE NETWORKS and turned over to the government under legislation compelling them to do so.

The consolidated db is rubbish, when I checked it the big black area where I supposedly spend most of my time is a city 70 miles away, my house and workplace are just small orange dots among the hundreds of small orange dots I have passed by.

I can wipe my phone, delete the file from my encrypted backup and restore my phone without ANY of this rather useless and inaccurate information.

If you don't wan to be trackable burn your drivers licence, passport, credit cards. ATM cards, cellphones, computers, don't participate in society by voting and deal strictly in cash.

Of course you will deprive yourself of most of the benefits of living in a modern society but you will be anonymous and will leave very few traces.