iPad retains 74% tablet market share as Apple sits among top 5 PC vendors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    I feel the iphone and ipod touch are also computers in every way . <<time to count them also>> .

lets add those numbers too and then we will see the true apple greatness and market power

pow

• Reply 22 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I guess the other 26% are used to being laughed at by their GF's. That is, the ones that have GF's.

You have to wonder how much of that 26% is actually in the hands of end users.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I feel the iphone and ipod touch are also computers in every way . <<time to count them also>> .

lets add those numbers too and then we will see the true apple greatness and market power

pow

I'd also like to see the extra column on such tables showing the profitability of each segment. Volume doesn't a winner make.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

This means that competitors sold 1.5 million tablets in the first quarter (before PlayBook even arrived). I don't believe that.

Broken down this way:

67% still in channel

33% sold to customers.

Of which:

31% unused sitting on coffee table after first 2 weeks

24% actually being used

22% returned

13% already sitting on closet shelf

8% given to baby to use as soother

1.5% keeping fridge level

.5% keeping washer level (after seeing the effectiveness as a fridge leveler)
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Broken down this way:

60% still in channel

40% sold to customers.

Of which:

24% actually being used

22% returned

8% giving to baby to use as soother

One fact we know for sure, iPads are not sitting on shelves in stock rooms!
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

One fact we know for sure, iPads are not sitting on shelves in stock rooms!

I had to change my data after I learned that DaHarder didn't purchase 3 each of the Playbooks for his family members.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I had to change my data after I learned that DaHarder didn't purchase 3 each of the Playbooks for his family members.

LOL I was goign to ask what percentage were bought by DaHarder in your ?broken down this way? post.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    It seems interesting that overall shipments grew by 5,770,630. Apple with iPad sales grew 5,517,670. Almost 96% of the growth is coming from Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    "The most common uses for a tablet -- which Canalys refers to as "pads" -- are Web browsing, e-mail and messaging, and social networking."

This is certainly true for my personal anecdote. The iPad is not a "media" device. It is truly a computer. My laptop usage has essentially just been reduced to downloading the latest Ubuntu torrent and SW development.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The headline says "market share" and here is the generally accepted definition of that term: "sales revenue (from that market) divided by the total sales revenue available in that market"

That's why it's important to read beyond the headline if you want to know what's going on.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

"The most common uses for a tablet -- which Canalys refers to as "pads" -- are Web browsing, e-mail and messaging, and social networking."

This is certainly true for my personal anecdote. The iPad is not a "media" device. It is truly a computer. My laptop usage has essentially just been reduced to downloading the latest Ubuntu torrent and SW development.

The whole "media tablet" thing has always been a misnomer. I think it's basically a result of the Microsoft propaganda machine "convincing" analysts and others to call them that so they can pretend that Windows tablets are some sort of distinct and superior type of device.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    I use my ipod touch more than my Macbook. I can lay on my back and browse, download, read, facebook, play games, etc. Although I have really sharp eyes :P
  • Reply 33 of 46
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    can someone simply re-format that chart to include Q1 profits and revenue.

Screw shipments.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    My son saw a commercial for the BlackBerry Playbook - and he said - oh look a smaller iPad - it's bigger than an iPhone but smaller than an iPad. I told him, it is similar to an iPad but it is not an iPad. He said, yes i know - it's a smaller iPad.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

My son saw a commercial for the BlackBerry Playbook - and he said - oh look a smaller iPad - it's bigger than an iPhone but smaller than an iPad. I told him, it is similar to an iPad but it is not an iPad. He said, yes i know - it's a smaller iPad.

That?s cute? assuming your son isn?t 30yo and still living at home.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I guess the other 26% are used to being laughed at by their GF's. That is, the ones that have GF's.

LOL...chicks dig a man who can root his own tablet and customize the home screen with 10,000 widgets all sucking down battery life. That should be the next Motorola Xoom TV commercial
  • Reply 37 of 46
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I use my ipod touch more than my Macbook. I can lay on my back and browse, download, read, facebook, play games, etc.

Although I have really sharp eyes :P

Enjoy it while you can, kiddo! I guarantee it won't be like that forever. 40 may (or may not) seem like a long time off for you, but it'll come before you're ready for it!
  • Reply 38 of 46
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

Broken down this way:

67% still in channel

33% sold to customers.

Of which:

24% actually being used

22% returned

8% given to baby to use as soother

Love it!
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

One of the key players in creating Palm's WebOS mobile operating system, a man who designed its non-intrusive notification system, is now Apple's Senior User Interface Designer.

Well, thank FSM for that. While he's there, can we can get card-style multitasking too? iPad2 can surely handle it.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    I should have bought stock in "Others"