The Official Star Trek: Nemesis Thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    You couldn't pay me to see this movie (or any movie like it for that matter).
  • Reply 22 of 66
    I used to just watch the parody of Star Trek on Reboot, but they don't show Reboot anymore. I have may actually have to watch this.

By the way: wasn't there supposed to be a Reboot movie?
  • Reply 23 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by ironchef82:

<strong>I haven't seen it yet (still stuck studying for finals...), but I hope to god that isn't a spoiler!</strong><hr></blockquote>Actually, it's not too much of a spoiler. The story is written carefully enough that he might not be dead. You'll see.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I saw the movie and to put it politely, it sucked rancid donkey butt.

The plot holes were huge. The character motivations were terribly muddled. Arnold and Sly movies make more sense than this monstrosity.

The battle scenes were the worst. The reasoning behind them was laughable. To give an analogy without spoiling the movie for you, it is like in Austin Powers where Dr Evil has to put Austin in a overly complex and easily escapable means of being killed right after telling him all his plans to take over the world. Meanwhile the son Scott is shouting, "let me just get my gun and kill him."

The whole movie feels like that.

Nick
  • Reply 25 of 66
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    So you all are saying that I should just rent the DVD. If even that.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    It's a great movie if you're a trekkie. It's a fair movie if you're a sci-fi buff. If neither, then you probably shouldn't bother.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    YOu know, the more i think about it, the more I absolutely loved the final scene with Picard walking down the hallway. It had a feel of, yes, this is an end, but it is also a begining. As if he was starting a new day in a good mood. What a great feeling. And then the shots of the enterprise... Absolutely priceless. I have got to see this movie again.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    I have to say as of this post I haven't seen it yet but, hope to see it today. The thing is I've been observing something odd about this movie. There have been a lot of negative reviews but, most people that I know that have seen it or have read their private reviews posted around the web say they " loved it " or " It wasn't that bad ".

Now I've just read that it's having a real tough weekend at the box office. Which is not good because next weekend it will get eclipsed by LOTR.

Sometimes I wonder from reading the differences between what private parties have said and what film critics have said do critics decide to kill a film? I mean is it like " Let's sink Star Trek. It'll be easy because next week LOTR comes out and that's got to have a negative effect. So even if people disagree with us we won't be chastised for it. "

Anyway you slice it this doesn't look good for ST. Yes, I know someone will come back with the old " ST has been dead for a long time " chant. But, I don't think that's necessarily true.

I just think what's happening to this film is odd. Maybe I'll change my mind after seeing it and say " It stinks! " but I bet not.

SDW we agree on something 100%!!!!! I think your list of ST films is accurate. However have you seen the Directors cut of ST The Motion Picture? It makes that film much more palitable.

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 66
    [quote] Wil Wheaton's speaking part was cut (but he's still sitting there) <hr></blockquote>

******possible spoiler******

Dammit, Dammit, Dammit. I want to see the turkey die a painful, painful death. (Possibly multiple ones)

ARRGGGHH
  • Reply 30 of 66
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Talk about wandering into a Trekkie convention. I cannot talk on the same level here, for I only saw Generations (on television), and judged it horrid crap, so... ah no, carry on.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    HAHAH westonm, I couldn't agree more!!!

But you guys, it is not looking good. It appears as if we just all saw the very last trek film for a very long time, if not forever.

Tis a sad state of affairs. Looks like the only good thing to come of this is that Berman might be looking for a new job.

It just pains me to see nemesis behind J Lo's new movie. God i can't stand her...
  • Reply 32 of 66
    I thought it was a brilliant movie. It seemed out of focus in many places, and the sound mix was not normalized, which drove me nuts. The difference between the sound levels in the opening shot vs the first scene was quite jarring.

*WHOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHH*

then.....

What did you say Mr. Romulan? Sorry, can't hear you.

Other than that, it was quite a film, where it really succeeded was in not doing what First Contact did. Which was to hold back. In FC, everytime we would be faced with a huge battle scene in space or on the Enterprise, it would be incredibly breif and leave the viewer feeling horribly underwhelemed.

Nemesis really kicks that aside and goes all out in every possible way. It hits the ground running hard and doesn't stop for a moment.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I just saw it. The ramming scene was great.

The only thing that startled me more than the ramming scene was the price of coke. Who in their right mind would pay $4.80!? :eek:
  • Reply 34 of 66
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Jimmac:

[quote]Now I've just read that it's having a real tough weekend at the box office. Which is not good because next weekend it will get eclipsed by LOTR. <hr></blockquote>

Really? That sucks. The theatre where I was happened to be packed.....but that's just anecdotal.

I think I need to see it again. I really liked it.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I am not a trekkie and RARELY watch any Star Trek but my friends and I went and saw it because one of them really likes Star Trek and the rest of us were really bored. Anyway, I thought it was really cool. The battles and the ramming was pretty cool. The fight in the 24th century Jeeps/Hummers (couldn't tell which; they both have 7 slot grilles) was so friggin cool! I also really liked the opening scene on Romulus. I was however, under the impression that the Enterprise could split into 2 sections that could both attack the big ass ship. Was that just the "D", or is the "E" supposed to do it also?
  • Reply 36 of 66
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>The theatre where I was happened to be packed.....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same here. It was nice to sit in a packet theatre that WASN'T full of preppy Abercrobie and Brat-wearing teenagers.

When I walked in, it was funny to see that everybody in the theatre seemed to be at least 18 with the average age of 40.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>

Same here. It was nice to sit in a packet theatre that WASN'T full of preppy Abercrobie and Brat-wearing teenagers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ya in my theater the only Abercrombie wearing teenager was me. I guess it's time to run and hide now...
  • Reply 38 of 66
    You guys might mock abercrombie teens and such, but if there were more at the theaters coming to watch nemesis, then the numbers wouldn't be looking so bad right now.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Wow, you guys have me hyped about this installment! If it is "up there" with WOK and UC, I am really excited! Initially, I was happy to hear a new ST film was coming, but then that little voice inside said, "You really want to see it that bad? You know the series has been running dry for some time now. Logically, you just can't expect much..." ...But you guys have reinvigorated my interest! If the mass audience isn't "buying into it", that's probably not such a bad sign for a ST film that has some good traditional content in it.

[quote]Originally posted by trumptman:

<strong>The plot holes were huge. The character motivations were terribly muddled...The battle scenes were the worst. The reasoning behind them was laughable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Care to flesh out some examples to discuss, or is this a hit'n'run?

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: Randycat99 ]</p>
  • Reply 40 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong> I was however, under the impression that the Enterprise could split into 2 sections that could both attack the big ass ship. Was that just the "D", or is the "E" supposed to do it also?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The "D" could indeed do that. Check out ST: Generations, or the TNG episodes "Encounter At Farpoint, Pt. 1 and 2", "The Arsenal of Freedom", and "Best of Both Worlds, Pt. 1 and 2." to see that in action. Originally it was intended that it happen everytime the ship was about to go into battle, but it was too expensive for Paramount to use on a regular basis.

Since the "E" is superior to the "D", I suppose it could do it too. Or maybe it doesn't have to since it seems to be more oriented to being in more of combat role than one of peaceful exploration.