Lost all Outlook messages, address book, etc.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcondliffe View Post

Help! I was trying to make room on my hard drive and copied everything from my Documents folder onto an external drive, then deleted it. Then, to my horror, I realized all my Microsoft Outlook data was in the Documents folder.

I tried what would be the logical thing to do and copied all the Microsoft Outlook data back to my Documents folder, but it will not restore my messages, etc. I then tried a few other tips I found online with creating a new identity, copying my stuff into that identity's place, etc. but nothing has worked.

Does anybody know how I can get all my stuff back? I have some really important emails, etc. that I really need.

thank you!

recovery outlook works with damaged/lost outlook emails. Program recovers messages, contacts, notes, journals, meeting and other items from corrupted/lost .pst files. It restores .pst files up to 32TB. Tool runs under all Windows OS starting Windows 98. Here you may test demo version of software.
  • Reply 22 of 47

Hello Mavin, 

Maybe you can help me too, I am having the same problem as mcondliffe, however when getting to this stage my issue is not resolved. When i was in all my files and found all my outlook emails saved there i deleted them thinking that they were duplications, then I discovered that it had removed all my e-mails/contacts and so forth from Outlook I dragged them all back from the trash to all my files. 

I have gone through a lot of steps to try sync them with Outlook agin but with no luck (identity issue), can you help or has moving and refiling them completely ruined my chances of a fix?

Thanks a bunch,

Renee

• Reply 23 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    renee12 wrote:
    Hello Mavin

Hang on, I'll see if she's in. Nope, just me. It's closer than Martin at least. ;)
    renee12 wrote:
    Maybe you can help me too, I am having the same problem as mcondliffe, however when getting to this stage my issue is not resolved. When i was in all my files and found all my outlook emails saved there i deleted them thinking that they were duplications, then I discovered that it had removed all my e-mails/contacts and so forth from Outlook I dragged them all back from the trash to all my files. 

I have gone through a lot of steps to try sync them with Outlook agin but with no luck (identity issue), can you help or has moving and refiling them completely ruined my chances of a fix?

See this is where Apple needs to be more responsible. They design these systems with the intention of making them simpler but they really messed up with this.

All My Files is a search view that for some reason Apple made the default view and it gets rid of the hierarchy of a filesystem. So all those files you saw were originally in a folder structure. When you moved them to the trash, it destroyed that hierarchy and when you moved them back into All My Files, it just dumps them into your Documents folder and Outlook has no way of finding them.

I hope they're reading this because they seriously need to put the default back the way it was but their interpretation will be they need to hide more things from All My Files.

The first thing you should do is go to Finder > preferences > Sidebar and enable the home folder (with your username) and hard disks if they aren't already enabled (and disabling All My Files wouldn't be a bad thing unless you happen to like it). If you navigate to your home folder and Documents, the emails should be in there but they might be in amongst a lot of other things. You'd be best to create a new folder on your desktop and put all the Outlook files into there. You can use list view to sort by file type to help.

I don't think you'll be able to easily put them back in the right place in the Outlook folder but Outlook will probably let you import them into a new identity. The big problem is it won't distinguish between sent and received mail. Was it just email files you moved to trash or was it also the database?
  • Reply 24 of 47

Hi Marvin, thanks for the reply, I seem to have really messed this one up.

I added my home folder and went to documents as you said however this only took me to where I was before in documents and Micorsoft Userdata.... I had already created new identities when trying to fix the problem a few days ago and to be honest am not sure which one is the original and which are my attempts to sync the files again.

All the files I deleted had the outlook icon :( I don't think I deleted the database (but am not really sure

I have now moved the outlook files to a separate folder on my desktop and tried to import them this way via File & Import within Outlook however all the files are greyed out and I am unable to select them. When I create a new identity again it all happens automatic and I am not able to choose where it looks for the files.. am I doing something wrong?

FYI, I am completely useless when it comes to these things and appreciate all the help ;)

• Reply 25 of 47
    renee12 wrote:
    I had already created new identities when trying to fix the problem a few days ago and to be honest am not sure which one is the original and which are my attempts to sync the files again.

If you go into list view on the folder where your identites are and right-click the bar where it says modification date, it will let you add creation date. The earliest creation date should be your original identity. It should also be the largest folder so while in list view, you can also go to the Finder view menu > show view options and select calculate all sizes.
    renee12 wrote:
    I have now moved the outlook files to a separate folder on my desktop and tried to import them this way via File & Import within Outlook however all the files are greyed out and I am unable to select them.

There are a couple of ways to rebuild this. When you dragged all of the emails out of All My Files, that should have been just the email header files. Close down Outlook first and try the following on the original identity you should have found earlier.

Inside your identity folder, there is a Data Records folder and inside that there are folders called Message Sources and Messages.
    Message Sources has the email contents, Messages has the headers.
    The folder structures in both of these Message folders should still exist and they should have the same groups of folders inside them.

Look at where the files are inside the Message Sources folder and if you find a file named say x27_137.olk14MsgSource (Microsoft has the friendliest naming conventions), the corresponding header to that should be x00_138.olk14Message (they increment the number before the extension for the header - usualy by 1 but sometimes more. It's the next closest number that matches) and it should be in the Messages folder in the same folder group.

Basically:
    Message Sources > 0T > 0B > 0M > 0K > x27_137.olk14MsgSource
    matches
    Messages > 0T > 0B > 0M > 0K > x00_138.olk14Message

If you have a load of these olk14Message files, it might take a while to do this but hopefully there won't be too many subfolders so you can drag batches of headers into the right folders at a time as they should be numbered sequentially.

Once all the files are in the right place, you should be able to move all the old identity folders out of the way and rename the original identity folder to Main Identity. If everything is ok, Outlook should ask you to pick an identity and open it without an error. If it still does, cancel and check the folders for any mismatches. If you can't see anything, try rebuilding.

If it still has a problem, the alternative route is to start a new identity and rename the files in Message Sources to have a .eml extension and then drag them into a folder in the Outlook sidebar. I would say this is a last resort though because this won't distinguish between sent/received emails and would also be quite time consuming. Putting the header files back will actually rebuild the identity.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    janetgjanetg Posts: 1member

Hi Marvin - I'm hoping you can help me with an Outlook issue as well. I was having trouble synching my iPhone and my emails with my network provider. They chose to delete my email account and then set up a new one - they told me not to worry because all my emails, etc were on their server. While this was true, when I went to my Outlook on my MacBook, I found that outlook was empty - and by empty I mean no emails, contacts or calendar files. I don't have a timemachine back up set up yet (my bad - am going to do this today!) but I did have a backup .olm file from my Outlook from only a week ago. The problem is that I imported the .olm file into Outlook, and while all my emails came in, none of my contact files or calendar files came in...any suggestions on how to recover those parts of Outlook?

• Reply 27 of 47
    janetg wrote: »
    They chose to delete my email account and then set up a new one - they told me not to worry because all my emails, etc were on their server. While this was true, when I went to my Outlook on my MacBook, I found that outlook was empty - and by empty I mean no emails, contacts or calendar files.

If they said your data is still on the server, you should just need to put in the right server details to access it. If you don't have an Exchange service, they likely just have your emails anyway. Your contacts and calendars should be in your backup as long as you chose to back those items up when you made it. If they aren't importing from that backup, I'd assume those options weren't selected when making the backup. If you have your emails though, you should at least have the contacts. If you have the calendars on your phone or iCal, you might be able to sync those back with Outlook.
  • Reply 28 of 47

How to easily get back lost Outlook messages, Address book- Get Free solution of this query with “Free-Trail version of address book recovery software”. Software provides you many exceptional features which allow users to recover contacts in proficient manner.

Demo: Allows users to save 15 PST contacts from Outlook Address book in the form of preview.

This tool is recently upgraded with technical algorithms which enable you to export PST files into various formats CSV, VCF. View complete info regarding lost contacts of Outlook by clicking here: http://www.addressbookrecovery.com/best-address-book-recovery-software.html

• Reply 29 of 47

I know this is an old thread, but I did the same thing.

Moved my MUD file thinking I didn't need it as somehow it was located in a different folder (one I thought I could delete).

Then emptied the trash. Got the message that couldn't empty that file since it was in use and realised I must need it, so moved it back and started searching for the problem.

Anyway, I have a database file for the main identity that is nearly 400MB, but I must have deleted the Data folder that accompanies it.

Is the database useless without the folder or is there some way to retrieve my emails etc?

Cheers

• Reply 30 of 47
    jaffaoz wrote: »
    Is the database useless without the folder or is there some way to retrieve my emails etc?

The folder is where it stores emails now. This means that things like Time Machine don't have to version a huge multi-gigabyte file every time you get a single email. If you had an Exchange or IMAP account, your emails and things should still be on the server. You can just remove the identity from the Outlook folder, launch Outlook to create a new one and input your server details and it should load all your emails from the server.
  • Reply 31 of 47

Have you tried Rebuild database utility feature. It is an inbuilt utility to repair corrupted or dameged Outlook data. You can repair any minor corruption related to Outlook data easily by using this brilliant feature. It can efficiently fix all the Partial issues related to OLM files.

For more informations visit: mail.recoverytrashmac.com

• Reply 32 of 47

Seems like your database has been corrupted so you must repair the corruption completely in order to recover all your Outlook items. To repair the corrupted database first of all you should try to rebuild your database. It would be quite sensible to have the proper backup of all your files before you go for database rebuild.

Steps to rebuild corrupted Outlook database:

1. Click and hold ‘Option’ key to start Outlook.

2. Here from the Database Utility Windows select the corrupted database which you need to repair and then click to rebuild option.

3. After rebuild process a message will shown to your screen, ‘Your database was rebuild successfully.’

4. At last click on Done.

For more information visit: http://macoutlook2011.undeletemac.org  

• Reply 33 of 47
    emleidingemleiding Posts: 1member

Hi Marvin, Firstly, thank you so much for being the only thread anywhere on the interweb with any kind of solution to this issue. I have sat on the phone to Microsoft and Apple and no one seems to be able to help me. In a fit of cleaning up my computer i deleted my Outlook application. Ive since re-loaded the app onto my MAC, and it opened with none of my archived emails (saved to archive email files on my computer that i could access via folders within my Outlook - if that makes sense). I have tried the solution of re-building the database, replacing the main identity with my folders - but when i do that Outlook will not open. It doesnt give me any error messages, it just fails. So then I tried re-building the database again, and it fails towards the end. My messages are around 50GB as i had alot of (important!) emails that i am now lost without. I just want to be able to open the emails, but cant even import the OLK messages if i do this one by one. any ideas? Is there a different mail app i can import OLKmessage files into? Any advice or suggestions you can offer is greatly appreciated. Emily

• Reply 34 of 47

Okay I'm at a loss here.  I have lost my Outlook Identity completely.  A new one is in it's place.  It has nothing in it.  I can't find another 2011 Outlook ID anywhere.

Here's what happened.

I was on Skype.  Something went nutty.  All my windows kept multiplying. I had to do a hard reboot.  When i opened I accidentally opened an OLD version of  Word.  I realized I did that then went to 2011 and opened Word there.  When I tried to open Outlook it wouldn't fire at all.  So I dragged the ID folder to the desktop. (per some instructions I found from Apple), opened Outlook and it opened with NOTHING populated.  Brand new ID no info.  So I went back to the 2004 version and saw an ID in there that was from this afternoon before the crash (I thought) opened that - and it opened an old Entourage version.

I'm back to just my blank 2011 Outlook.  I've rebuilt databases before but I can NOT find this one anywhere.  I haven't used Time Machine in a bit due to problems with my back up drive. 

Am I screwed?

I just need to know if I'm wasting my time.  My entire biz schedule and contacts and all of that for months ahead was in that data base.  I have no back up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Maggie

• Reply 35 of 47

You can restore outlook contacts list by the using of these steps:

1. Go to the Sign in page and then enter your email address and password.

2. And if you are already signed in, then you will go directly to the People page.

3. Now, in the menu bar, click on the Manage, then click on the Restore deleted contacts.

4. Click on Restore next to each contact that you want to restore, or click Restore all if you want all your deleted contacts to be recover.

Hope it will work well onto your system for the easily restoring Microsoft office outlook contact list.

• Reply 36 of 47
    emleiding wrote: »
    Hi Marvin, Firstly, thank you so much for being the only thread anywhere on the interweb with any kind of solution to this issue. I have sat on the phone to Microsoft and Apple and no one seems to be able to help me. In a fit of cleaning up my computer i deleted my Outlook application. Ive since re-loaded the app onto my MAC, and it opened with none of my archived emails (saved to archive email files on my computer that i could access via folders within my Outlook - if that makes sense). I have tried the solution of re-building the database, replacing the main identity with my folders - but when i do that Outlook will not open. It doesnt give me any error messages, it just fails. So then I tried re-building the database again, and it fails towards the end. My messages are around 50GB as i had alot of (important!) emails that i am now lost without. I just want to be able to open the emails, but cant even import the OLK messages if i do this one by one. any ideas? Is there a different mail app i can import OLKmessage files into? Any advice or suggestions you can offer is greatly appreciated. Emily

Did you save them to an archive file like this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/mac-outlook-help/export-or-manually-archive-outlook-items-HA102928297.aspx?CTT=1

If so, those files might not be in your identity folder. If you hit command-i when your original identity folder is selected, how big is it?
    maggierant wrote:
    I dragged the ID folder to the desktop. (per some instructions I found from Apple), opened Outlook and it opened with NOTHING populated.

When the ID folder is moved, it creates a blank one. The one you moved to the desktop should have your data in it. Given that it won't let you open Outlook, you can perhaps try switching the folders inside the identity folder with ones insider the newly created identity.
  • Reply 37 of 47

Hi, I was going through the same issue and looked for help everywhere around the web including Microsoft and Apple forums without any satisfactory solution. The closest solution was to manually copy and rename the olk14msgsource files. It was a tedious and time consuming process.

I recently found a solution for the same in form of an application OLK14 Message Recovery : http://www.olk14messagerecovery.com/

This tool worked wonders for me and got my emails back from dead. Hope it works for you too. Make sure

• Reply 38 of 47

I was in the similar situation myself. One fine day outlook felt like loosing all my emails data and opened up with a blank face. I was at loss and read everything available about the issue over internet. Followed all guides and rebuilt identity and what not without any positive results. Then I was stumped by a utility by the name outlook mac database recovery specifically designed for this purpose. I gave it a try and installed trial version and to my surprise it was able to read my emails from identity folder. Using the application I was able to recover almost all emails and also converted them into apple mail format to migrate in Mail app.

Check it out: http://www.outlookmacdatabaserecovery.com/

Apart from this utility I was unable to find any available method for full recovery from outlook database.

• Reply 39 of 47

Hi,

I am also missing messages in outlook since the last time my system crashed due to power fluctuation. Outlook comes up blank and the database utility does not have anything to rebuild. I have also tried moving the identities folder onto desktop and then running outlook to create a new identity. After closing outlook, I replaced the contents of identity folder with old content and then tried running outlook again. However, the issue remains same. It does not display anything in outlook window. 

Kindly help.

• Reply 40 of 47

After much hassles and continued research on this issue I came to know that my outlook identity database have corrupted beyond repair using rebuild option as it is not even displayed in outlook database utility. I even uninstalled and fresh installed outlook to no use. As I required emails urgently, I started looking for paid solutions and found a few tools but all of them were for repairing olm files which I didn't had. Then, I saw one search result with an option to recover emails directly from identity folder of outlook. I tried it and found it to be able to recover data with ease. Just for reference the name of application is: OLK14 Message Recovery. For anyone facing issues related to corrupt outlook database, I would suggest trying the utility at least once.