Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Safari adds iPad-like Downloads menu

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I loved Safari when Apple moved the tabs to the top. I was pissed when in the final release, after months of using the beta, Apple removed the even the option to put them up top. That was a very unAPple like move actually listening to the designed challenged masses to know what they liked.

Yet, Chrome calls home every ten minutes and it handles java script poorly. iCab? Seriously? You might as well start pulling out Omniweb.

Firefox 4 has come a long way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

sorry guys but safari has become pretty boring, and a bit of a dog, I hate to say it but google is way more tempting the way things are.

Put tabs on top, lose that all monochromatic flavour, make tabs close en masse easily like chrome, try optimizing it so extensions dont slow it down, etc. etc.

I don't see any flair with safari any more, icab and chrome are easily surpassing it.

• Reply 42 of 59
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Yeah that short period of tabs on top was pretty great once one got used to them - widescreens do not laptop resolutions taller make, and it was a really nice vertical saving, and nicely implemented I thought. And certainly no more against UI guidelines than the Mac AppStore's titlebar-cum-toolbar.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Thanks, I can get this kind of sarcasm and derision from my GF at home anytime.

It's one of the reasons I come here!

I still like my idea...too many "clicks," changing Preferences and remembering keyboard shortcuts with the other suggestions!

Right click on a word and the definition is at the bottom of the menu! I still think it's brilliant. And no, I'm not going to tell my GF about my idea!

Anyway...

Best
  • Reply 44 of 59
    frogbatfrogbat Posts: 69member
    i toyed with an earlier release of the big kitty - am pleased to see apple still adding and refining as well as listening to dev feedback (the modification of the slider tabs for example)

this pop up seems pretty neat and wouldn't be surprised if it sows up in other parts of the os - i'd love for them to se something similar for finder notifications and disk activity - always end up losing the file transfer windows - having them collected in one place would make sense
  • Reply 45 of 59
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:

even better, if you cmd control d and then dictionary just pops up. great shortcut to know!

...and even better is to open System Preferences, than the Keyboard control panel... and take a look at all of the other neat shortcuts built in to the OS.

PLUS, if there's one you don't like, or a service/menu item that doesn't have a shortcut... you can edit and/or create your own. I mean like: how cool is that!
  • Reply 46 of 59
    At first, I was going to dismiss Lion of being just some useless spit and polish on a DVD. Though, all these recent articles are making me want to upgrade to it! I might wait until the 10.7.1 update before I actually commit to it - twas a bad Ideal with snow leopard when I tried it!
  • Reply 47 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not everyone will be using the same size monitor, or will have the same resolution.

Do you think a 13" Macbook will be the same as a 27" iMac? Of course not! There is no way that Apple can accommodate all of their computers with a high Rez display. And those of us with Mac Pro's are not likely going to be using Apple monitors for any serious work.

Apple will need to have resolutions based on the size of the monitor, as they do now. And with all the developers out there, there will be the same confusion as before when looking at something at the misnamed "100%". 100% of what? We never know that, and we won't know now either, except that it will be smaller on the screen than before.

RI is supposed to allow us to size the screen elements as WE like them, not as Apple likes them. That's the whole point. What may look good to your eyes, won't necessarily look good to mine.

It?s just like now, Mel. There are many monitor types and sizes but thy all fall within a DPI range that makes them usable. With double resolution option in the OS and SDK you can then double the resolution and keep the same window.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I like the popup button for Downloads rather than the current separate window.

( I was also glad that TextEdit moves basic highlighting widgets out of the palette window into the main app window ).

Not so sure about the button only appearing after you have downloaded something.

Consistency is important for learning/awareness of new features.

Also, knowing that nothing has been downloaded is good information.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think it's coming. I think doubling the resolution will be their ticket for that.

Lion doesn't even activate the AppleDisplayScaleFactor option found in previous versions of Mac OS.

If you have a Magic Trackpad, Lion does inertia-based scrolling when you zoom in with Control-Scroll. Doesn't seem they've completely forgotten about zooming that way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aussie John View Post

Rather than being a smart arse why don't you just tell the poster that you can control this action via the preferences of the dictionary.

Or by double-clicking with three fingers.

Quote:

Put tabs on top

Get out of my field of vision.

Quote:

yeah, I know, well they should have known better

I do know better. I know better than to have an idiotic UI choice like that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Not so sure about the button only appearing after you have downloaded something.

But it doesn't. You can set it yourself before anything ever happens...
  • Reply 50 of 59
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

Or just hilight the word then hit command-control-D

Aha, now if Apple really wanted to work on their user interface, addressing these whacky key combinations would be a great place to start.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The more elements that serve multiple purposes (direct multi-touch, mouse, clickpad) the better. The action I'd like to see integrated would be a "hover over" action for multi-touch. I hate not having that extra level of drill-down when I need it before I choose to tap on something.

I completely agree. The implementation of this that I like the most isn't even in the OS -- it's on Netflix. Hovering over a film name or mini-poster will bring up a description of the movie and some other relevant information so I can decide if I'm want to know more. That's super helpful, intuitive and speeds the browsing process up considerably. Now I go to other sites and hover my cursor waiting for information to pop up that never does. I'm always disappointed thinking "why not? it's so helpful and (once you've used it) obvious. why isn't it standard everywhere?"

I would love to see THAT UI concept put to use by Apple in a user controllable way.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Agreed. I am so sick of clearing the downloads window and closing the downloads window. I know why the behaviour exists, but it sure ain't any fun managing that window.

Now if they just gave us an option to automatically clear the list when we want to, I'd have no complaints about Safari downloads at all.

Safari Prefs already has the option to clear the list as soon as a download completes (does not do it for cancelled downloads).

Unfortunately, you still have to close the Downloads window yourself.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It’s just like now, Mel. There are many monitor types and sizes but thy all fall within a DPI range that makes them usable. With double resolution option in the OS and SDK you can then double the resolution and keep the same window.

It will be just like now. You were saying that this would solve the problem before.

Right now, it's a very big problem. There is no rhyme or reason to the differing resolutions vs screen size. And I have to disagree, the ppi is all over the place. A 17" screen with 1920 x 1080, or a 21.5" screen with the same Rez. Then there are 24" screens with the same rez. What sense is that? My 27" with 2560 x 1400 is very high, and has a minuscule menu bar. We can't do anything about that.

RI is the only to resolve (ha, a pun!) that issue, and we all know that.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    notrsnotrs Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aussie John View Post

Rather than being a smart arse why don't you just tell the poster that you can control this action via the preferences of the dictionary.

Exactly what I was thinking Aussie.. thank you.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    lobosololobosolo Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Safari had put tabs on top and people bitched about it.

I'm one of them ... I don't like the tabs on top. As long as it's optional I don't care but don't force me.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    I like this feature because I don't really like having a separate Downloads window, seems having an integrated sheet would be much cleaner and accomplish the same thing, which it does.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It will be just like now. You were saying that this would solve the problem before.

Right now, it's a very big problem. There is no rhyme or reason to the differing resolutions vs screen size. And I have to disagree, the ppi is all over the place. A 17" screen with 1920 x 1080, or a 21.5" screen with the same Rez. Then there are 24" screens with the same rez. What sense is that? My 27" with 2560 x 1400 is very high, and has a minuscule menu bar. We can't do anything about that.

RI is the only to resolve (ha, a pun!) that issue, and we all know that.

If lion doesn't address ri it will be ludicrous. Particularly the small airs and the 27" imacs are deformed in terms of ui elements. The menu bar was never meant to be as small as that on the 27" imac, safari bookmarks page is almost unreadable... it's just being backward and not having ri.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

Or just hilight the word then hit command-control-D

No need to highlight. It will show you the word that the mouse is hovering over (and try to move the mouse around while holding down cmd-ctrl-d - you can even let go of d).
  • Reply 59 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Forget Command-Control-D.

In Lion, just double-click with three fingers on a trackpad.