82% of US tablet market owned by Apple's iPad, The Daily loses $10M

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's a very interesting question.

I recently heard the definition of two new verbs:

1) to iPod -- to enter an existing market late and then to dominate (Tim Bajarin)

2) to Ballmer -- to kiss oneself on the ass... from the inside

Apple has economies of scale, control of the supply chain that competitors can't match.

And, to iPad -- to enter an existing market early and then to dominate it.

To iPwn -- what Apple has been doing to the competition lately.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johngettler View Post

Why in the world does AppleInsider combine two totally different stories into one story. The market share iPads have, and the Daily story having nothing to do with each other. Other than that they are both iPad related. Do you see newspaper combining two stories into one? Please just post each single story.

Bafflingly. they have been doing this for a long time... With separate stories, you'd at least increase clicks.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Heh!

Re-concepted, re-purposed, re-imagined, re-released, re-fused.

and finally, "re-jected".
  • Reply 44 of 61
    joebloggsjoebloggs Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GNRbeaumont View Post

I hope The Daily debacle does not sour subscriptions. It was buggy and crashed several times during each issue, rendering it unreadable. Also, it seemed to dwnload everytime you opened it and did not have background loading. When it did reload you could not easily locate new information from old.

I would subscribe if I found out they got it right.

I have no problem with its operation. I think it's only crashed once in the month I've had it, and it downloads only once each day (the first time I open the app). You're right it doesn't have background downloading, but I just download it while I'm making coffee in the morning, and it's good to go.

The content is so-so. I suppose not bad for a national type paper (think USA Today), but it makes great use of the iPad's features - content changes depending on the iPad's orientation; many panoramic and 360 degree photographs, pop up sidebars, videos, the ability to save articles, etc. It's worth a buck a week for sure.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Namibaignic View Post

download.........

Hello, Mods?
  • Reply 46 of 61
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

and finally, "re-jected".

Quite so.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hello, Mods?

Just report it. Quoting the post means they have to clean up individual posts.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just report it. Quoting the post means they have to clean up individual posts.

Good point.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Daily loses $10M in first quarter

News Corporation's The Daily, a newspaper-style publication that debuted on the iPad earlier this year and was the first to feature subscription billing, lost a total of $10 million in its first quarter of operation, according to paidContent.org. Most of those losses are said to be a result of investment costs associated with starting up the operation.

A total of 800,000 downloads of The Daily have occurred since the publication debuted. It kicked-off with a free trial period until users were required to pay 99 cents per week for access.

"It's really early days," News Corp president Chase Carey told analysts on his company's earnings conference call. "It's only a month-plus that it's been pay-based. It's actually one of the most downloaded news apps out there. It's a work-in-progress; we're proving the technology, refining the content. The tablet market is still in its infancy."

The Daily debuted in early February for the iPad. Though it is initially only available on the iPad, News Corp. plans to bring it to other tablet devices in the future.

I kind of enjoyed the free trial, but the interface needs some help. I would have subscribed had it simply remembered where I was when I exited. Background downloading would not have hurt either, but that is a tip that goes to all of the magazine publishers. Background download is in iOS, use it..
  • Reply 50 of 61
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

Is anyone expecting non-iPad tablets to make a significant impact in the market the way Android did on the heals of iPhone, or are we seeing another iPod-like natural monopoly? I’ll wait for Honeycomb updates and iOS 5.0 before making any solid predictions but it’s not look good for Apple’s competitors.

I don't think so, but it's hard to say.

As we move into the "post PC" world mainstream users will see their digital lives change from being PC-centric to cloud-centric and they will access their digital life from a whole bunch of different devices (PCs, tablets, phones, TVs etc).

This is going to make the platform (i.e. the scope and depth of services available and the way devices interact with those services and each other) more important than the actual device itself.

So I think it really all comes down to what the big players (i.e. Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, HP, RIM maybe...) do over the next couple of years.

At the moment the iPad is the easy choice when looking for a tablet because users are buying into a device, not a platform. However, if Apple's post-PC platform ends up being totally Apple-focused (i.e. iDevices only working with other iDevices) I can't see the iPad controlling a monopoly position in the tablet market - there will be enough people that don't want to go "all in" with Apple to prevent a monopoly.

It's going to be like walking a tightrope though, not just for Apple but for all of the big players... if they make the platform too specific they risk losing customers that don't want to go "all in", if they make it too generic they risk making their own devices irrelevant.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    deewindeewin Posts: 34member
    The problem with reading news/magazine apps is that the experience isn't better on a tablet. Sure you get to interact with some of the pages but the tradeoff isn't worth it when you load up the app and have to wait 5+ minutes for everything to download. This restriction is probably set by Apple but even so I would rather just use the web browser and get instant gratification for free news on another website instead.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    nicolbolasnicolbolas Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have trouble believing their numbers. Apple has sold at least 20 million iPads as of this point. If that is 82% of the market, 2% comes to ~0.5 million.

I doubt very much that a a half million Xooms (2% of the market) have been sold. Didn't Motorola say that so far, they've 'shipped' only 250,000?

This isn't based off every single person who bought a tablet, but as older "tablets" have been out for years and some people bought them (enough to keep them BARELY alive) to make a difference. the iPad's share is probably at 85-90%.

now what the iPad's market share is worldwide and will be in the US/worldwide in a year or so remains to be seen (tablets selling at sub $200 0.o, not great, but it is kind of like netbooks, semi-impulse buy (i would assume, at that price))
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

This isn't based off every single person who bought a tablet, but as older "tablets" have been out for years and some people bought them (enough to keep them BARELY alive) to make a difference. the iPad's share is probably at 85-90%.

now what the iPad's market share is worldwide and will be in the US/worldwide in a year or so remains to be seen (tablets selling at sub $200 0.o, not great, but it is kind of like netbooks, semi-impulse buy (i would assume, at that price))

I humbly submit that you understood neither my arithmetic nor my comment.

There was nothing much to contradict (or clarify further) there.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

• Reply 55 of 61
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Is anyone expecting non-iPad tablets to make a significant impact in the market the way Android did on the heals of iPhone, or are we seeing another iPod-like natural monopoly? I?ll wait for Honeycomb updates and iOS 5.0 before making any solid predictions but it?s not look good for Apple?s competitors.

Michael Dell, for one.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Men want the Android because the Android platform is marketed directly to men while Apple's marketing is more high end.

Every Droid commercial is reminiscent of the Terminator
  • Reply 57 of 61
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwilcox View Post

Hey, there is a good idea for an app... ALL DAILY COMICS!

Just go to the Washington Post website. Hundreds of comics - and you can go back at least a month on all of 'em. Free too.

Not the slickest interface - but they are there.........

Quote:

As to the Android tabs (or QNX, WM7, WebOS) -- what can they offer that the iPad doesn't already have?

Then there's full Windows for tablets -- already proven to be a failure.

Other than whatever's HP's (wisely perhaps) takin' their time cookin' up, MS's tablet OS efforts may be the last best hope for anything that can give the iPad a bit of a run for its money in 2011-12 - and in the longer run (where Android seems likely to be a player for the longer-term as well).

Win Tab 8's two planned flavors (in in mid-late 2012) may alter the equation a bit as it will be a clean break in some respects from existing MS slates. We already know it's going to adopt some of the Metro interface conventions from Win Phone 7, and that it's going to still have a Windows 8 core. The Intel version will run all Windows programs - but should have an actually touch-enabled way of accessing the OS and at least selected programs like Office - and dunno about styluses, but expect one to be available if not as de rigeur as before.

The Arm Version is supposed to be fully touch-enabled and have a decent suite of applications, not only from MS, but they're heavily (reportedly) subsidizing ISV's to build for both WT8 and WP8. One would certainly expect something Word- and Power-Point like on the Arm versions of WT8, a la Pages and Keynote for iPad.

And shades of Lion, ideas from the phones and slates are supposed to show up in Win 8 itself. And MS is, while spinning its wheels for a looong time, hardly out of business. Call it the folly of ranking hope over experience, but I'm actually thinking that by WT8 Service Pack 1 or or WT9, MS is going to have credible high-volume hand-held devices running its mobile OS all over the corporate world and with some significant consumer uptake as well.

I agree that in the beginning Apple has an iPod-like advantage it could not have had in the phone market, but iPods replaced (when they replaced anything) non-computing devices. CD-Walkmen, other pure mp3 players, etc. iPads are replacing and adding to mainstream computing and they're not going to hold 80%+ of that market in the long term.

But they could still be the monster #1 vendor of both units, and if history's any guide, particularly of profits for years to come.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Just go to the Washington Post website. Hundreds of comics - and you can go back at least a month on all of 'em. Free too.

Not the slickest interface - but they are there.........

Other than whatever's HP's (wisely perhaps) takin' their time cookin' up, MS's tablet OS efforts may be the last best hope for anything that can give the iPad a bit of a run for its money in 2011-12 - and in the longer run (where Android seems likely to be a player for the longer-term as well).

Win Tab 8's two planned flavors (in in mid-late 2012) may alter the equation a bit as it will be a clean break in some respects from existing MS slates. We already know it's going to adopt some of the Metro interface conventions from Win Phone 7, and that it's going to still have a Windows 8 core. The Intel version will run all Windows programs - but should have an actually touch-enabled way of accessing the OS and at least selected programs like Office - and dunno about styluses, but expect one to be available if not as de rigeur as before.

The Arm Version is supposed to be fully touch-enabled and have a decent suite of applications, not only from MS, but they're heavily (reportedly) subsidizing ISV's to build for both WT8 and WP8. One would certainly expect something Word- and Power-Point like on the Arm versions of WT8, a la Pages and Keynote for iPad.

And shades of Lion, ideas from the phones and slates are supposed to show up in Win 8 itself. And MS is, while spinning its wheels for a looong time, hardly out of business. Call it the folly of ranking hope over experience, but I'm actually thinking that by WT8 Service Pack 1 or or WT9, MS is going to have credible high-volume hand-held devices running its mobile OS all over the corporate world and with some significant consumer uptake as well.

I agree that in the beginning Apple has an iPod-like advantage it could not have had in the phone market, but iPods replaced (when they replaced anything) non-computing devices. CD-Walkmen, other pure mp3 players, etc. iPads are replacing and adding to mainstream computing and they're not going to hold 80%+ of that market in the long term.

But they could still be the monster #1 vendor of both units, and if history's any guide, particularly of profits for years to come.

Nice post. I've said the same regarding Microsoft and WP8 in previous posts here at AI: MS is the elephant in the room... not Google.

It was also reported earlier in the week, that RIM and Microsoft are chumming up, eventually leading to what I also previously predicted... MS buying and/or seriously investing in RIM, and integrating RIM's enterprise expertise and back-end software. This taking place in Q4 or Q1-2012.

The article above also points to the other player trying to stay relevant: Adobe. We know from the past that Microsoft likes and has been somewhat successful working with Adobe; hardware and GPU acceleration coming first to Windows for example. Apparently the AIR dev. platform is working pretty well on a Playbook(?), interesting to see how MS leverages that.

Google will remain the tech-geek's platform of choice for awhile, but I do believe that the whole experiment is imploding on Google, what with the fragmentation and losing control of the platform already, I think it will eternally be in Beta as other Google projects have in the past.

Numbers in 2013:

MS-RIM: 65-70% of the enterprise market, 10% consumer;

Apple: 60-65% of the consumer market, overlapping with 30% small-business;

Google/Android and assorted forks: <10% enterprise - 10-15% consumer... basically the left-overs.

Anomalies:

1) certain big businesses such as hospitals, publishers, etc. will stick with Apple after their full roll-outs this and next year. Where to peg those on a simplified "consumer vs. enterprise" graph is difficult.

2) where and what is HP doing? Regardless... I think you'll have to add them to the "left-overs" line of the graph.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    In addition to my above post, I just thought I'd bring up the related point that was written about today at Macworld regarding OSX Lion's built-in free server.

IF Apple makes this truly easy to set up for consumers i.e. home entertainment, OTA and iCloud syncing, iTunes, ATV-aware, etc., it 'could' complete the circle of Apple products.

I imagine an 'iBox' that welds an ATV, Mini, and Capsule... and adds Thunderbolt for storage and easy hookup to your monitor of choice, more than likely a TV. Fully configurable and navigable via any iOS device and/or BT keyboard/mouse.

Maybe the "one more thing" at the WWDC and announcement of Lion? Just wishing...
  • Reply 60 of 61
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

2) to Ballmer -- to kiss oneself on the ass... from the inside

Thanks very much, Dick... That's a mental image that will take weeks to erase!