Light leaks with LG iPad 2 displays make Samsung Apple's new primary supplier

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

But, but ... Samsung has been stealing Apple's technology! Switch supplier! Ask intel to make the chips!

To butcher a famous saying... Buy some components from your friends, but buy more from your enemies. Apple's Art of War.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkcooke View Post

If you have light leak, it's LG.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Very easy test. In a dark room, put your iPad 2 flat on the table. Turn the brightness all the way up. Open the Camera and make sure you select the rear-facing camera. If there are light leaks you will see a "spotlight" coming from small corners or like a "pinching" of light on a black background. Rotate the iPad a bit so the silver bar at the bottom of the screen moves to a different part of the screen.

More accurately, download an image with pure black from Google, view this fullscreen in a dark room with the brightness all the way up.

BTW, Thank you very much LG, great job this time 'round. NOT.

Thanks. I'll try that tonight.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    tigertiger Posts: 20member
    It's better to have Light Peaks than light leaks!
  • Reply 44 of 49
    einsteinbqateinsteinbqat Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Thanks. I'll try that tonight.

SHIT!

I have an LG screen! Will need to call Apple!
  • Reply 45 of 49
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

SHIT!

I have an LG screen! Will need to call Apple!

Get yer replacement...! Good luck. I can't yet because it would be a few weeks (ie. an agonising time of unknown length) at least before replacement stock might arrive where I am and I can't be without my iPad 2 for that long!
  • Reply 46 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    According to an update at Engadget:

Update: An astute reader reminds us that while LG, Panasonic and Chimei make IPS screens, Samsung traditionally does not. Perhaps Samsung has managed to get its plane-line switching (PLS) displays into iPads instead, as was rumored last month, or perhaps this rumor is simply inaccurate, in whole or in part.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    celticcjcelticcj Posts: 1member
    My iPad 2 which I bought on 25th March has really bad light leakage from all sides, taking it back this week
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Not sure if this has been added to the discussion, but I went to an Apple store and they told me that "Apple is aware of the issue and it occurs predominantly in the white iPad 2" (which is what I have.) They told me that Apple will let anyone exchange their iPad one time regarding the light leakage issue and that once the exchange is made, the iPad that you receive is your iPad, no more exchanges after that. They said it could be far worse than the one you exchanged but it doesn't matter, as soon as you get the exchange you have to stick with that iPad. They added though that after the exchange, if I was still unsatisfied I could return my iPad in the Apple store and they would accept it and give me my money back on the spot, even if I bought my iPad from a different retailer (which I did.) So, found it a little interesting that it seems to be worse in white iPads and that they are pretty willing to let you return/exchange until you get the right one no matter where you bought the thing.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    dman624dman624 Posts: 2member
    I had light leaking quite badly on my 16gb wifi black iPad, I took it back yesterday and Apple replaced it with a new one within 5 minuutes, no issues for me replacing it. My friend on the other hand got all kinds of flack when she went in to return it for the same issue, and we both went to the same store, different days. They gave her 20 questions and almost made it seem like she was lying about it for some reason. Anyway, light leaks are happening, and Apple took care of me with mine, and now my second iPad is perfect, no light leaking issues