Apple ranked world's most valuable brand at $153 billion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new survey ranks Apple as the world's most valuable brand, worth an estimated $153 billion, beating mainstays like Coca-Cola, BMW and Disney, as well as tech rival and the previous No. 1 company, Google.

BrandZ's ranking of the Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands (PDF) shows Apple with an 84 percent increase in brand value from 2010. Search giant Google, meanwhile, dropped 2 percent to $111 billion, coming in second place.

Noteworthy brands beaten by Apple and in the top 50 include IBM ($101 billion, No. 3), Microsoft ($78 billion, No. 5), Coca-Cola ($74 billion, No. 6), AT&T ($70 billion, No. 7), Amazon.com ($37.6 billion, No. 14), and Disney ($17.2 billion, No. 38). Other tech companies on the list include HP at No. 18, BlackBerry at No. 25, FaceBook at No. 35, and Cisco at No. 44.

The total list of the 100 most valuable brands increased by 17 percent year over year to $2.4 trillion. BrandZ found growth in all 13 sectors it tracks, including apparel, beer, technology, insurance and luxury.

Developed by Millward Brown Optimor, the ranking system analyzes the world's leading brands and the economic and competitive dynamics that influence value fluctuations. It focuses on market-facing brands that generate revenue and profits through the sale of goods and services directly to consumers or business customers.

The valuation establishes an estimated worth of the Apple brand, rather than Apple the company. The survey was created 13 years ago, and includes information from more than 2 million in-depth consumer interviews in 30 countries.

Apple's 84 percent year over year increase made it the fifth-largest growth story of 2010 on the brand ranking index. Apple was beaten by Facebook, which saw its estimated brand value surge 246 percent to $19 billion, giving it the greatest increase.

The social network was followed by Baidu (141 percent), Wells Fargo (97 percent) and Burberry (86 percent). Apple came ahead of Skol (68 percent), Pizza Hut (58 percent) and Geico (53 percent).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Noteworthy brands beaten by Apple and in the top 50 include IBM ($101 million, No. 3), Microsoft ($78 million, No. 5), Coca-Cola ($74 million, No. 6), AT&T ($70 million, No. 7), Amazon.com ($37.6 million, No. 14), and Disney ($17.2 million, No. 38). Other tech companies on the list include HP at No. 18, BlackBerry at No. 25, FaceBook at No. 35, and Cisco at No. 44.

Nice to know a company that produces devices to enhance one's life has a better brand name than a sugar water company that causes tooth decay, a telecom company that can't hold a phone call more than a minute, or a social networking site that is a total waste of time.

I wish they had mentioned Nike so I could rail about a clothing company that makes millions of of sweat shop labor.

But good on you anyway Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    jesmithjesmith Posts: 1member
    all better.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    In that table graphic you show, that last column (percent change) has "N/A" listed for a couple of companies. That seems nonsensical. Does "N/A" have another meaning here than "not applicable"?

Presumably they meant "no change" (so: N/C).

(I presume this is a graphic you lifted from the original source, not one you made yourself. And yes, I am unable to go back and look. Tired. Fingers broken )
  • Reply 4 of 48
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    There is really no way Apple's achievement can be overstated. They singlehandedly, almost overnight, freed the "computer" from the box and keyboard. This was a landmark moment. Now everyone's pushing this paradigm. Tablets, slates, app stores, touch interfaces, etc.

The next 5-7 years will be a huge growth phase for Apple, during which we will witness the decline of Microsoft. Note how MS' brand now ranks below McDonalds. And McDonalds sells low grade cheeseburgers that pose serious health risks.

Welcome to the post-PC era, Microsoft. Seriously.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

Nice to know a company that produces devices to enhance one's life has a better brand name than a sugar water company that causes tooth decay, a telecom company that can't hold a phone call more than a minute, or a social networking site that is a total waste of time.

I wish they had mentioned Nike so I could rail about a clothing company that makes millions of of sweat shop labor.

But good on you anyway Apple.

I could give up my Apple products way easier than give up my Coca-Cola products.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    How does one measure "brand" anyway? Where did $153 billion come from? What's the metric used to generate these values?
  • Reply 7 of 48
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I dunno about that. If I was doing a ranking I would put it like this:

1. Google - cause way more people I've met use it, know about it, and it is a verb.

2. Apple - sure many people know about it, but those who haven't used a mac tend to dislike the company for some reason.

3. Walmart

4. Amazon

5. Verizon

6. ATT

7. Coca- Cola

100. Microsoft

500. McDonalds

10000. Marlboro
  • Reply 8 of 48
    channel27channel27 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JESmith View Post

I'm pretty sure CocaCola is worth more than 74 Million Dollars.

73,752 million = 73.7 billion
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And McDonalds sells low grade cheeseburgers that pose serious health risks.

Eating a "low grade" McDonald's cheeseburger is a serious health risk? Really? With trillions sold? Why isn't everybody dropping over dead? The streets should be littered with corpses - all clinging tightly to their half eaten burgers.

At least include a smiley face or something to show that you're not trying to be serious. You aren't really trying to be serious are you?
  • Reply 10 of 48
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Eating a "low grade" McDonald's cheeseburger is a serious health risk? Really? With trillions sold? Why isn't everybody dropping over dead? The streets should be littered with corpses - all clinging tightly to their half eaten burgers.

At least include a smiley face or something to show that you're not trying to be serious. You aren't really trying to be serious are you?

Eating lots of burgers will eventually kill you.

You don't see people dying after smoking one cigarette either. Are you suggesting they're not bad for your health too?
  • Reply 11 of 48
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

1. Google - cause way more people I've met use it, know about it, and it is a verb.

2. Apple - sure many people know about it, but those who haven't used a mac tend to dislike the company for some reason.

3. Walmart

4. Amazon

5. Verizon

6. ATT

7. Coca- Cola

100. Microsoft

500. McDonalds

10000. Marlboro

I don't think Google is valued as high because they are essentially a one-trick pony. Yes, they have Android, Gmail, etc. etc., but if their advertisers start spending their dollars on Bing or (more likely) Facebook, Google isn't looking so good then.

The people that dislike Apple tend to be either jealous that they don't have one and are trying to justify the stuff they own, are scared to change since it isn't Windows, or are big enough geeks that they would prefer to use Linux anyway (an extremely small percentage).

Walmart is the bane of all evil, but they make a lot of money. Walmart to me is a last resort, last ditch effort kind of place. If I never step foot inside one again, I will feel like I have accomplished something in my life.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    "Noteworthy brands beaten by Apple..."

Are every brand you have ever heard of, because Apple's got the number 1 spot.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Google - cause way more people I've met use it, …

: Then WHY is Microsoft down below in that list?

I cannot believe, most people you've come into use Mac.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

: Then WHY is Microsoft down below in that list?

I cannot believe, most people you've come into use Mac.

You shouldn't come into people so often.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

• Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You shouldn't come into people so often.

goodnight everybody.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

3. Walmart

4. Amazon

5. Verizon

6. ATT

7. Coca- Cola

100. Microsoft

500. McDonalds

10000. Marlboro

As someone else said, Google may be incredibly well known and used on a regular (more than regular) basis every single day, but what they do is sell advertisements. That's their business.

Apple, otoh, actually sells products that people end up with in their hands, and use. And really, with the iPad2 and the iPhone4, Apple's had a great year.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I stand corrected. Thanks.

• Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

You don't see people dying after smoking one cigarette either. Are you suggesting they're not bad for your health too?

Really? You equate cigarette smoking with cheesburgers? Seriously? All "risks" are identical huh?
  • Reply 20 of 48
    jsheffiejsheffie Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Eating too much of a single vegetable may also cause health issues... consider the possibility of vitamin-A overdose in certain vegetarian diets really high on a certain potent vegetable [possibly spinach?] (especially if multi-vitamin supplements are taken).

Better stop eating your vegetables, too I guess...

Ps. I really hope no one is eating 20 burgers a day. That would definitely be a lot, and probably would kill you.