Google launches cloud music, previews next Android, promises OS updates for 18 mos.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google launched the invite-only beta of its new cloud music streaming service Tuesday, along with Android movie rentals, and Honeycomb 3.1 for tablets. It also previewed Ice Cream Sandwich, the next major Android release, and promised that devices will receive future Android updates for 18 months after they launch, through a new agreement with carriers and device makers.

Music Beta by Google, Android movie rentals

As was previously announced, Google on Tuesday launched its new Music service, a streaming product that will remain free while in beta. Initially, the service is only available to those who are given an invite.

The license-free cloud product allows users to upload their library of music to Google's servers, and stream those tracks to Android devices and computers, on both Windows and Mac. The Music Beta software allows users to upload all of the music within their iTunes library and access it on the go.

The search giant unveiled the new product as part of its I/O 2011 conference on Tuesday. It boasted that the music service, when synced to the cloud, means users will never have to sync with a cable again.

Music Beta by Google also lets users "pin" their music for offline use, allowing content to be accessed when a data connection may not be available. Music Beta can be used on Android devices running Froyo or Gingerbread.

Music Beta by Google. Google I/O 2011 photos via Gizmodo.

Google also unveiled movie rentals for Android devices, with thousands of movies available to rent for $1.99 A new movies application for Android tablets like the Motorola Xoom allows users to watch movies on the go as well.

Like with music, users can "pin" their movie and download it, even if it's rented and streaming, for playback when a data connection may not be available, such as on a plane ride.

Movies are now available on the Android market, and the official Movies application is available as part of today's Honeycomb 3.1 release, while smartphone users with Android 2.2 will receive the application in the next few weeks.

Android movies. Google I/O 2011 photos via Gizmodo.

Android Honeycomb 3.1, coming to Google TV

Google also announced that an update for Honeycomb, its tablet-centric mobile operating system, is available today for Verizon customers. Those who own a Motorola Xoom will be able to update to Android 3.1.

The new update adds the ability to make Android devices act as USB hosts. In one example, they showed an Xbox 360 wired controller being used with an Android tablet via USB.

With the update, users can also stretch widgets horizontally or vertically to make them fit their needs.

Android 3.1 will also come to Google TV this summer, and bring the Android Market with applications. Google also revealed that there are now more than 200,000 applications available on the Android Market.

Ice Cream Sandwich, streamlined updates, accessory support

Google's philosophy with the next major release of Android, dubbed Ice Cream Sandwich, will be "one OS everywhere," across a range of devices. That would mean that Android phones and tablets would be running the same operating system, unlike the current landscape where Honeycomb is restricted only to tablets.

Google said it would have an "advanced app framework" in the next release of Android, allowing developers to scale their software to different platforms. They also boasted that their mobile operating system will "all be open source."

Ice Cream Sandwich is also said to include a new user interface, new widgets, and new applications. It said the next user interface would be "state of the art."

In one demonstration, Google showed off 3D headtracking on a Motorola Xoom using the hardware's forward facing camera.

Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Google I/O 2011 photos via Gizmodo.

Google also vowed to streamline the updating process for Android devices. Carriers and device makers have agreed to provide new updates for 18 months after devices are launched, provided the hardware can support the newer versions of Android.

The company also showed off a new standard called Android Open Accessory. Using this, external can be connected to Android handsets and be supported by third-party software.

The search giant provided a demonstration of Android Open Accessory by connecting an Android phone to a stationary bike. It also demonstrated home automation integration called Android @ Home, with Android-compatible lightbulbs from Lighting Science set to go on sale by the end of the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 123
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google [...] promised that devices will receive future Android updates for 18 months after they launch

Clarification: devices (not necessarily customers) will receive updates 18 months after launch.
  • Reply 2 of 123
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Android Ice Cream Sandwich.... thats a long name.

Haha careful though, if it gets too hot it will melt!
  • Reply 3 of 123
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Even after Google successfully replicated Apple's eco-system they still can't seriously compete. This is more of a YAWN product line. Everyone seen it, heard of it. Same crap just from different company down the street.
  • Reply 4 of 123
    Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) seems like a back-cronymed swipe at IOS.
  • Reply 5 of 123
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    I don't know, it seems Google is getting really serious with Android. It sounds they are heading in the right direction, even fighting fragmentation. I certainly not abandoning ship, but Google may become a serious competitor for Apple. Something MS isn't really in the mobile space.
  • Reply 6 of 123
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    1: even if the 18 months deadline is met, it is AWFULLY SLOW updating isn't it. A year and a half after you buy your device? Seriously?

2: given Google's history what are the chances it will actually be 18 months? More like 24 I bet...2 YEARS
  • Reply 7 of 123
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Stop caring about Google products for quite some time. Strange to see they still use this "invited to our beta program" tactic.
  • Reply 8 of 123
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) seems like a back-cronymed swipe at IOS.

I heard the next release is Chocolate Covered Vienna Sausage
  • Reply 9 of 123
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Why should I care? I care about Apple products not Google products.
  • Reply 10 of 123
    rigelianrigelian Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

1: even if the 18 months deadline is met, it is AWFULLY SLOW updating isn't it. A year and a half after you buy your device? Seriously?

2: given Google's history what are the chances it will actually be 18 months? More like 24 I bet...2 YEARS

It means you'll get updates for 18 months after the release of the device. That doesn't mean you have to wait 18 months for an update. If there are three updates within that 18 month period, you'll get them.

As far as updates for my google devices. I've had a number for the nexus one.
  • Reply 11 of 123
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Clarification: devices (not necessarily customers) will receive updates 18 months after launch.

I assume that means vendors and carriers will receive updates 18 months after launch, but that it doesn’t mean vendors or carriers will work to make those updates work for the devices they sell.

Apple has a hard enough time getting updates to their very limited product line despite controlling the HW and OS, yet it seems Google is trying to follow suit, even pushing GoogleTV to an Android 3.1 update. Logistically I can’t see how Google can possibly make keep that up long term unless the changes will be minimal over that 18 months.
  • Reply 12 of 123
    Quote:

According to other blog sites reporting on this event, Google will provide updates up to 18 months after the release of the device BUT only if the device's hardware is capable of supporting it.

Not to take anything away from Google but I still much prefer the way Apple supports it iDevices vs Google. At least I know my device is good for at least 2 years.
  • Reply 13 of 123
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Good job Google. This a welcome development for the ever expanding options available to consumers. We have seen what Amazon has to offer in terms of Cloud, now Google. I wonder what Apple will come out with.
  • Reply 14 of 123
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:

I think they mean you will get every update for a 18 month period. My HTC Desire is 11 months old and I have already had two updaes, with the third comming at the end of May.
  • Reply 15 of 123
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Wonder how much space you get on Googles cloud service. I have 4+ terra in my itunes. I guess I wont be able to upload it all to their service.
  • Reply 16 of 123
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    You forgot to mention the 400,000 activations a day mentioned at the conference.

That was 400,000 activations a day.

• Reply 17 of 123
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

You forgot to mention the 400,000 activations a day mentioned at the conference.

That was 400,000 activations a day.

1) That's all companies and all products running Android? That's only 36 million per quarter. Didn't Apple do more than half that total last quarter just with their iPhone, excluding their iPod, iPad and AppleTV? It doesn't seem like Android is growing that fast consolidating it's vendor count and price advantages.

2) Wasn't it already at 350,000 a half a year ago? That looks like some serious drop in growth rate.
  • Reply 18 of 123
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Meanwhile, Apple is still trying to figure out how to do notifications on iOS.
  • Reply 19 of 123
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Meanwhile, Apple is still trying to figure out how to do notifications on iOS.

if you're really so set on swiping the top of the screen just get an android phone. the notifications on iOS are just fine compared to android. they could use some work, but android is not better at notifications.
  • Reply 20 of 123
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    One thing not mentioned in this article:

Quote:

9:52 am "Now there are some cool devices coming out with amazing features. Like this -- the new Samsung 10.1 Tab."

"It's thinner and lighter than you ever imagined. This will launch in about a month or so. It's not available to anyone yet... with one exception. Thanks to Samsung, all 5000 of you are getting one today!"

Google I/O 2011 LIVE

...Well, there goes the neighborhood!