Are you waiting for the G5?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Out of interest, how many of people are holding off buying a new mac and waiting until the G5 arrives?



I know I am becuase the G5 will probably herald a new mobo and associated technologies which may make any current purchase problematic just as the PCI powermacs couldn't accept a lot of stuff for the AGP powermacs.



thanx
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 78
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    i am waiting for the G5.

    Waiting for the G5, prevent me from buying a new mac too quickly
  • Reply 2 of 78
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I am waiting for the G5, thats why I have not bought a mac for 2 years since I got the revision a. iMac, because it will be a whole lot faster than my iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    Waiting... I am stuck with a G3/466 and my audio apps squeeze everything out of it. But with disappointment of recent G4 performance I will wait for a big leap forwards and up tto date components in Powermacs. G5, come on!
  • Reply 4 of 78
    I am on a 450 SE iMac (Sage) and am thinking about a Cube, because I can get it for ~700... But other than that, I am waiting before I do any major update, and saving my money. I hope to get a G5 with a Cinema Display.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Like Spooky, I'm waiting for the G5 and hope to see updated internal architecture like Rapid I/O and DDR RAM.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    I not waiting on the near mythical G5, just a decent update to the Mobo. Something that will at least lift the powermacs performance to something comperable to the current crop of Intel/AMD based machines.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    [QUOTE] are you waiting for a G5?[QUOTE]



    Why yes, thanks for asking
  • Reply 8 of 78
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I was and have been since last July, but I folded and got the dual gig. I figure by the time I'm ready to upgrade from this, the G5 should be over 2.0ghz and the rumors about the G6 will be out
  • Reply 9 of 78
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    I am waiting for the next architecture, not just the G5. I have a sawtooth mac, and for me the next step is not just a faster processor, it is a better architecture. Computers do not age linearly, my 450Mhz machine will probably have aged as much in the last 2 years as the dual 1Ghz is about to age in the next 6 months.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Am I waiting for G5?



    Absolutely YES
  • Reply 11 of 78
    [quote]Originally posted by *l++:

    <strong>Computers do not age linearly, my 450Mhz machine will probably have aged as much in the last 2 years as the dual 1Ghz is about to age in the next 6 months.</strong><hr></blockquote>





    Ahhh ... Sanity ...



    When it comes to computers, truer words are rarely spoken *1++ ...



    The latest Dual Ghz machines might as well have "Transitional Stop-Gap" spray painted all over their bright-shiny QuickSilver exteriors.



    Keeping my fingers crossed

    C'mon Uncle Steve!
  • Reply 12 of 78
    Let me put it this way...I probably won't buy a new Powermac until something comes along that absolutely convinces me that my PM G4 400 should be put out to pasture. Dual 1Ghz comes close, but isn't quite there yet.



    However, I do have to admit to being seriously tempted by the LCD iMac... always was a sucker for curves.



  • Reply 13 of 78
    I definatly am waiting for the g5, My iMav DVSE will be fine for a while ,but I'm going to be getting into some computer related stuff that will seriously tax out the processor.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I am getting a new Mac at the end ofthe summer. Either the high-end iMac or the low-end PowerMac. Whatever is available in August. I doubt we'll get a G5.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    I'm waiting for the G5 until MWSF. If Apple offered a dual G4 &gt;1GHz with DDR, at MWNY, I don't know if I could resist the temptation to go out and buy one. Since I'm running a stock 8600/200, I can hardly keep myself from going out and buying one of the new G4 dual 1GHz towers that are available now.



    All you people with G3's or G4's are a lot better off than me with respect to computing power.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Nope, I just bought a Dual 1G and have not looked back.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    waiting for the G5... and a new case. once that comes out I'll likely purchase the mdrange model with either a 17 inch or 22 inch Apple LCD.



    If a 17 inch imac with an improved GPU comes out by the fall I'll likely get that instead though
  • Reply 18 of 78
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    [quote]Originally posted by dillerx:

    <strong>Nope, I just bought a Dual 1G and have not looked back. </strong><hr></blockquote>



    dillerx,



    Do you run VPC 5 (in OS X) on your new machine? If you do, how does it run windows apps?
  • Reply 19 of 78
    I'm waiting. Hopefully they will be shipping in time for the start of school in August.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    actually, I'll be a bit more specific because I'm not just simply waiting for a G5



    I want

    dual 1.4Ghz G5s

    512 MB 266Mhz DDR RAM (at least)

    120GB 7200 RPM HD

    gigabit ethernet

    superdrive

    geforce 4 or equivalent graphic card

    firewire 2

    for under $3000



    may be possible. dual 1.2Ghz may be a bit more realistic.
Sign In or Register to comment.