Alleged fifth-gen iPhone part suggests camera lens, flash will be further apart

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Deleted
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suddenly newton View Post

for the next rumor, the iphone 5 will have a hot shoe, and the flash will be external.

lol!!!!
  • Reply 23 of 46
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

Moving the flash further apart from the lens will help prevent red eyes. As far as I'm concerned, the iPhone 4 produces horrible red eyes with its flash, although they're not really red but zombie-yellowish.

But doesn't that just create lots of shadows?
  • Reply 24 of 46
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Apple will never include a real keyboard. Anyone suggesting that is speeding bugus information.

Stop repeating this.

J.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

THAT would be sweet. I would think it would need to be able to judge distance between the phones with better accuracy than just regular GPS though.

Hmmm... It seems to me that software could be written that would be able to calculate distances between devices via bluetooth or Wi-Fi or NFC. If BT/Wi-Fi are too "dumb" to detect distance, then I would suggest that both protocols be rebuilt to include that capability. There are plenty of ways in which distance between devices could be utilized.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

But doesn't that just create lots of shadows?

A two inch separation between flash and lens would barely create an "outline" (like the "drop shadow" effect in Photoshop), unless you're right up close to the subject. There are plenty of tricks you can use to reduce or eliminate shadows as well.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

Moving the flash further apart from the lens will help prevent red eyes. As far as I'm concerned, the iPhone 4 produces horrible red eyes with its flash, although they're not really red but zombie-yellowish.

The phone really isn't big enough to prevent red-eye. It's only a couple of inches. Point and shoot cameras have flash further from the lens than that, and they still produce red-eye.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

... As long as people can adapt to not putting their fingers in the two areas ... of the lens and flash, then flash photography on the iPhone will look a lot better.

It might even make for some interesting variations in the the flash will be on the bottom left when taking a landscape picture so one could easily put a finger or a fingernail in the way on purpose to soften or colour the flash etc.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

The phone really isn't big enough to prevent red-eye. It's only a couple of inches. Point and shoot cameras have flash further from the lens than that, and they still produce red-eye.

I'm sure there's a patent floating around on implementing red-eye reduction for mobile phone cameras and flashes.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

A two inch separation between flash and lens would barely create an "outline" (like the "drop shadow" effect in Photoshop), unless you're right up close to the subject. There are plenty of tricks you can use to reduce or eliminate shadows as well.

I don't think the separation would cause any issues with shadowing, on point-and-shoots the flash is at least that far from the lens...
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Apple will never include a real keyboard. Anyone suggesting that is speeding bugus information.

Stop repeating this.

J.

If Apple ever did a slide out keypad on an iphone, I'd be moving to a different phone/company.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    As long as it doesn't come with a smart cover, those are one of the dumbest inventions ever.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As long as it doesn't come with a smart cover, those are one of the dumbest inventions ever.

The Smart Cover is the most brilliant accessory I?ve used. it?s indispensable to my iPad usage. Without it I wouldn?t use my iPad half as much as I do now.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Lining up that many cameras and Synching that many shutters together would prove to be a real challenge and expensive even if it were cheap cameras. I've built BT rigs and it requires quite allot of work. Also iPhone camera lenses wouldn't really be up to the challenge either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That would be really cool...

Another use is maybe 10 to 50 iPhones for Bullet Time:

http://gizmodo.com/?_escaped_fragmen...rds-red-carpet

You know what, forget 3D, making our own Bullet Time stuff is more fun, I reckon.

In 10 years all smartphones will be advanced enough, that you could actually "crowdsource" say 50 to 100 people taking multiple pictures at a venue, say a concert or famous location, and software on any one of those smartphones could ingest all that data and interpolate it so you have a full 3D reconstruction (using photogrammetry, etc.) of the entire site and you can fly through it (like a virtual SpiderCam*) on the screen, pick out people in the crowd, etc.

Here's some of the "3D" apps for iPhone:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...the_iphone.php

http://gizmodo.com/5794582/trimensional-for-iphone

*Man I love SpiderCam (http://www.spidercam.net) in HD for my favourite tennis and football (soccer) live broadcasts.

Problem is, the broadcast directors don't use the SpiderCam shots and replays enough!

• Reply 35 of 46
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Smart Cover is the most brilliant accessory I?ve used. it?s indispensable to my iPad usage. Without it I wouldn?t use my iPad half as much as I do now.

While the comment about it being the "dumbest thing ever" is kind of stupid, it depends on how you use an iPad as to whether one finds the cover useful. It's certainly not for everyone. I bought one because I think the whole concept is cool but as it turns out it's fairly useless for me also and I haven't used it much if at all.

The chief drawback is that it only works if you use your iPad in landscape mode. It does essentially nothing for users who habitually use portrait mode and even actively gets in the way in many of those use cases.

IMO it's two most handy uses are:

- propping the iPad up on a table to watch a movie

- putting it on a slant so you can type in landscape mode when the ipad is laying down.

If you don't ever do those two things (I don't), then it's more or less useless. Worse, it's bulky, hangs down, and catches on things when in portrait mode while adding essentially nothing to the portrait mode experience. I find typing in landscape mode awkward and kind of ridiculous and I don't watch movies on it except in bed and in that case I don't need to prop it up so there just isn't a use case for me.

If they could make it so that it folds out of the way and doesn't need to be dealt with when using the iPad in portrait mode, I might go back to using it because it does keep the screen a little cleaner. I can't see how that could be done without making the iPad itself more asymmetrical though so I don't think it's likely.

Personally, I got tired of taking the cover on and off and carrying it around separately so I decided to just leave it at home after the first couple of days. Don't miss it at all.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

If Apple ever did a slide out keypad on an iphone, I'd be moving to a different phone/company.

I am not worried.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Just bring it... Want to update from my 3GS when contract expires in July.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I don't think the separation would cause any issues with shadowing, on point-and-shoots the flash is at least that far from the lens...

Ah, someone who has actually used a camera!

Correct. A two-inch separation isn't going to give results like a wedding photographer's rig (flash brackets, flash cords, etc.). What it might do is nominally reduce red-eye on closer shots.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

While the comment about it being the "dumbest thing ever" is kind of stupid, it depends on how you use an iPad as to whether one finds the cover useful. It's certainly not for everyone. I bought one because I think the whole concept is cool but as it turns out it's fairly useless for me also and I haven't used it much if at all.

The chief drawback is that it only works if you use your iPad in landscape mode. It does essentially nothing for users who habitually use portrait mode and even actively gets in the way in many of those use cases.

IMO it's two most handy uses are:

- propping the iPad up on a table to watch a movie

- putting it on a slant so you can type in landscape mode when the ipad is laying down.

If you don't ever do those two things (I don't), then it's more or less useless. Worse, it's bulky, hangs down, and catches on things when in portrait mode while adding essentially nothing to the portrait mode experience. I find typing in landscape mode awkward and kind of ridiculous and I don't watch movies on it except in bed and in that case I don't need to prop it up so there just isn't a use case for me.

If they could make it so that it folds out of the way and doesn't need to be dealt with when using the iPad in portrait mode, I might go back to using it because it does keep the screen a little cleaner. I can't see how that could be done without making the iPad itself more asymmetrical though so I don't think it's likely.

Personally, I got tired of taking the cover on and off and carrying it around separately so I decided to just leave it at home after the first couple of days. Don't miss it at all.

Agree on all comments regarding the lack of usefulness, and would like to add that the biggest drawback is that it does nothing to protect an accidental drop on a hard surface or from scratching when in a briefcase. The original Apple case is much better at protecting the device, but for those who just want a thin stylish screen protector that leaves streaks, snaps shut abruptly, flops around when the device is in hand held use, doesn't protect the back, or corners or from impacts, it's perfect.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I've been hearing rumors that the new Iphone 5 doesn't come out until next summer.