Steve Jobs to Nike CEO: 'Get rid of the crappy stuff'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    In 2010, Steve Jobs insulted the writers of useless fart apps. Little did he know, just ten years later, fart apps would sell billions of copies and become the MOST VALUABLE INDUSTRY IN TEH WORLD......
  • Reply 42 of 68
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Nike branded headphones suck(IMHO) and they make too many narrow shoes. I would buy the expensive airmax if they came in a 13 4E.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Absolutely right on all accounts.

For instance: Nike casual wear clothing (not shoes), and most of ACG. Axe both entire lines. It's just distracting customers. While it may be adding to your bottom line, it is degrading your brand.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

So says the guy with over 800 fart apps for sale for the iPhone.

So of all the amazing things that come from Apple, you choose to criticize them for fart apps they didn't even make? You're an idiot, bro'.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

So of all the amazing things that come from Apple, you choose to criticize them for fart apps they didn't even make? You're an idiot, bro'.

You give him too much credit...
  • Reply 46 of 68
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    WTF happened to the database, this is a couple year old story and responses, with current dates???
  • Reply 47 of 68
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This is not new nor news.

No, but you clicked on it and generated a pageview.

That's all that counts these days. Journalism died in the mid-Nineties.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

'Get rid of the crappy stuff'

this is a company that sells you a $150 shoe that costs a few $$$ in materials and labor to produce but over $100 or more of the price went towards advertising. lately my wife has been buying cheaper shoes that last a lot longer than nike shoes

it's almost as bad as breakfast cereal where most of the cost is the TV ads

Quote:

"I'm actually as proud of many of the things we haven't done as the things we have done. The clearest example was when we were pressured for years to do a PDA, and I realized one day that 90% of the people who use a PDA only take information out of it on the road. They don't put information into it.

"Pretty soon cellphones are going to do that, so the PDA market's going to get reduced to a fraction of its current size, and it won't really be sustainable. So we decided not to get into it. If we had gotten into it, we wouldn't have had the resources to do the iPod. We probably wouldn't have seen it coming."

i remember having an ipaq and knew people with palm's. those things were OK but it was a big PITA getting data into it. in the end i junked mine because it never saved any time
  • Reply 49 of 68
    nomadmacnomadmac Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Duuuuuhhh, a no brainer. How do these people get into such positions?

Q. How many small trucks with a diesel engine are offered in the U.S.?

A. Zero

Not VW, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Dodge, Isuzu, Mitsubishi. Chevy, Subaru or Mercedes All of which make diesels.

The preferred choice of engine in Europe for the Ford Transit Connect is a diesel with a stick.

Ford only offers it with a four cylinder gasoline engine and an automatic in the U.S. market.

So to answer your question, I have no idea why these people get in these positions and there are so many of them if they can't see the opportunity of a wide-open market.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do you think Steve was also insinuating that the crappy website should go as well?

I can't even get to the main page either because of Click2Flash or Ghostery or both. Nike.com (English or Español) is dead in the water for me.

on the whole I like Nike stuff...but I agree I hate their slow Flash website! I use Click2Flash and Ghostery too. Great Safari Extensions!

I've used the Nike + since it first came out and now have NikeGPS+ on my iP4. But I find my iP4 too heavy and big to run with and I don't like the head phones dangling. I got BT headphones but they are uncomfortable. Now I run "free" shoes, socks, sunglasses and shorts. Now crap dangling, carrying, etc. I now "track" my runs by seeing if I can get in my 32" waist jeans!

Best
  • Reply 51 of 68
    munciemuncie Posts: 47member
    I, a longtime Apple user (Bought my SE at the UCSC bookstore in 1987), recently facilitated my wife's move from the iPhone 3G to Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus V. All the Android reviews loved the LG Optimus V. Oh, there were some hitches here and there but no more than usual. Even former iPhone users chimed in that it was a very similar experience. My wife uses her phone for texting, email, navigation, and Yelp. She's never downloaded an App and would not consider herself and Apple fan. The verdict? Android is crappy and the LG Optimus is crappy.

There are just all these little things that she never knew she'd miss until they were gone, like pop-up notifications that work for both email and SMS; a glass screen that doesn't scratch very easily; a battery that lasts all day; 3G connections that restore themselves even after the phone's been reset - the Optimus has some bug that requires manually resetting the network connection each time.

The only thing less crappy by comparison? Virgin Mobile vs ATT. And that trumps all else, because $25/ month fits our budget more than $65 (after adds for data and texting).

So, Android fans will continue to love the LG Optimus and its ilk, finding lesser phones to be crappy. Apple fans may be disenchanted with ATT, but they will soon find that Android is crappy and all other phones are crappy if they venture beyond the iPhone zone.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muncie View Post

I, a longtime Apple user (Bought my SE at the UCSC bookstore in 1987), recently facilitated my wife's move from the iPhone 3G to Virgin Mobile's LG Optimus V. All the Android reviews loved the LG Optimus V. Oh, there were some hitches here and there but no more than usual. Even former iPhone users chimed in that it was a very similar experience. My wife uses her phone for texting, email, navigation, and Yelp. She's never downloaded an App and would not consider herself and Apple fan. The verdict? Android is crappy and the LG Optimus is crappy.

There are just all these little things that she never knew she'd miss until they were gone, like pop-up notifications that work for both email and SMS; a glass screen that doesn't scratch very easily; a battery that lasts all day; 3G connections that restore themselves even after the phone's been reset - the Optimus has some bug that requires manually resetting the network connection each time.

The only thing less crappy by comparison? Virgin Mobile vs ATT. And that trumps all else, because $25/ month fits our budget more than $65 (after adds for data and texting).

So, Android fans will continue to love the LG Optimus and its ilk, finding lesser phones to be crappy. Apple fans may be disenchanted with ATT, but they will soon find that Android is crappy and all other phones are crappy if they venture beyond the iPhone zone.

Well said, Muncie! My thoughts exactly. Apple is first class when it comes to attention to detail in software design and manufacturing hardware which results in fantastic usability!
  • Reply 53 of 68
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, if I recall, Apple took a stand against more fart apps.

I bet RIM would f'ing KILL for 800 fart apps.

It wouldn't be funny if it weren't (at least partly if not entirely) true.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

The first thought I had with this article was "Samsung". They make some great products.

Exactly. A friend of mine heard about how Samsung makes great TVs and bought one. But she bought Samsung's bottom-of-the-line model, and it _is_ complete crap. The backlighting is so uneven, for example.

Apple avoids this by only making top-of-the-line products. You never have to worry about buying a crappy Apple product (except maybe the iBook, but thankfully that's way in the past).
  • Reply 55 of 68
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

this is google's problem. they seem to say yes to everything. don't get me wrong, they have some great products, but i wouldn't call any of them elegant or.

"I like 'em short

I like 'em tall

If they have ads

I like 'em all"

-Google
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

with a few exceptions ceo's get to such positions either by being born to power and money or by being major suck ups to it and very ruthless.

very rarely does it have anything to do with actual capabilities.

viz. Steve Ballmer
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

You know, I just wonder about these career trolls. What's their motivation? all the ways they try to get in under the radar; even trying in some cases to insert themselves as friendly or knowledgeable (remember tekstud's iPhone purchase and how he "loved" Apple for about 3 months) before gradually sliding into the snarky, bitter role. It blows my mind to think of what these people are like in real life. Are they just as sarcastic and poison-tongued with their friends?

One quiet way to handle this without further feeding the trolls is to go to the top of the comments page. In the upper left is a link to "User CP," which is a control panel. There you'll find that you can set up a list of commenters to ignore. Putting a commenter's nic on this list will render their subsequent posts "invisible" in that while their name will be shown in the thread, the actual post will not be displayed.

It is rumored that vBulletin, the comments engine, is working on a way to notify people who have been ignored by five or more other commenters, letting them know that fewer and fewer readers are not reading their trollish comments. It would be nice to have vBulletin change the color of the troll's nic to various shades as their "ignore" count rises. But then you'd have other folks trying to boost their "ignore" rating just to brag about it. <sigh>

The world is simply insane. But after Saturday I'll bet things will be saner.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

The first thought I had with this article was "Samsung". They make some great products. The 55" Samsung flat-screen I have is one of the best TVs I've seen.

My last non-iPhone was a Samsung: Poor, confusing user interface and frustrating limited controls. I was never so glad to be rid of a phone.

These are the kinds of products companies should trash (or never release to begin with). You can't help thinking "Do they even field test these products before dumping them on us?"

My wife's current phone is just as bad. I really hate using it, and she is constantly asking me to help her find basic things like "missed calls". She doesn't want an iPhone, because she wouldn't use the internet enough to justify data fees.

Are you listening, Apple? There are people out there that would buy an iPhone Nano!

While I fully sympathize with you and your wife's problems I doubt Apple will ever bring to market a nano phone. It's just not their demographic. Apples wants people to buy apps and use the features of their regular iPhone, not a basic telephone. Unfortunately they leave that to the bottom feeders.

But what the heck? Apple just might do this and I'd join you in buying one (I currently don't have any cell phone at all).
  • Reply 59 of 68
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    I think Steve could apply the same advice to some of Apple's products. Whilst clearly the overall standard/quality of Apple's products is very high, to pretend that they don't make their fair share of crappy stuff is simply disingenuous.

- MobileMe

- iPhone/iPod standard earbuds

- AEBS/Time Capsules that die just out of warranty

- bulging MacBook batteries (I'm about to be onto my 3rd in a $3000 2.5yo MacBook Pro)

- MacBook power cables that fray

- iTunes

- iOS updates that kill battery life or cripple certain models

Apple are great - most of us here can agree on that. But the way they stay great is by hopefully acknowledging their faults. Groupthink and blind adulation will not help.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

One quiet way to handle this without further feeding the trolls is to go to the top of the comments page. In the upper left is a link to "User CP," which is a control panel. There you'll find that you can set up a list of commenters to ignore. Putting a commenter's nic on this list will render their subsequent posts "invisible" in that while their name will be shown in the thread, the actual post will not be displayed.

It is rumored that vBulletin, the comments engine, is working on a way to notify people who have been ignored by five or more other commenters, letting them know that fewer and fewer readers are not reading their trollish comments. It would be nice to have vBulletin change the color of the troll's nic to various shades as their "ignore" count rises. But then you'd have other folks trying to boost their "ignore" rating just to brag about it. <sigh>

The world is simply insane. But after Saturday I'll bet things will be saner.

I have done and will continue to use this, but as a marketer who also loves psychology I can't help but wonder as to the motives behind their actions. Btw, what's the comment about Saturday about?