Sources: Apple gearing up for back-to-school promotion as early as next week

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple as early as next week will once again announce its annual back-to-school promotion that has historically offered a free or discounted iOS device to customers purchasing of a new Mac, an event that may prove to be one of the main topics of discussion at the much-hyped employee meetings set to be held at the company's retail stores this Sunday.

People familiar with the Apple's retail operations have told AppleInsider that the company is currently gearing up for its yearly educational promotion. The news comes as numerous reports have revealed that Apple has scheduled early 7 a.m. store meetings with employees this coming Sunday, May 22.

Given that lack of details surrounding those meetings, expectations among industry watchers have run wild, as this Thursday will mark the tenth anniversary of Apple's highly successful retail operations. The first two stores opened in Virginia and California on May 19, 2001.

The planned meetings, combined with the 10-year milestone, have led to speculation that Apple could launch its said-to-be-completed cloud music service. Another report even claimed that Apple could introduce wireless near-field communication payments in its stores this weekend.

But with the annual back-to-school sale set to kick off as soon as next week, the educational promotion is potentially a more likely subject for Sunday's meetings. Additionally, other people familiar with next week's plans say some of the materials and shipments rumored to be making their way to stores around the same time will be part of 'procedural changes' to the way the shops run or operate, rather than new products customers could buy.

As for the company's annual promotion, the timing would fit with years past. Last year's promotion was announced on Tuesday, May 25, and gave students and school faculty the ability to receive a free 8GB iPod touch with the purchase of a Mac.

The offer was a relatively ho-hum affair, with a $949 starting price for the low-end MacBook that was higher than in years past. At the time, the 8GB iPod touch also carried a lower price of $199, though the new FaceTime-enabled 8GB model is now $229.

Previous back-to-school sales also began around the same time, with the 2009 promotion starting on Wednesday, May 27. The 2008 promo launched a bit later, on Monday, June 2, while the 2007 offer made headlines on Tuesday, June 5. The sales typically run until the first week of September, just before new iPod models go on sale.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Been looking forward to this. Picking up a new 21.5 inch iMac for myself and a 27 incher for my parents.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    kwoot27kwoot27 Posts: 30member
    Would be pretty cool if you buy a Mac and get a decent discount on an iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    In years past, did you need any proof that you're a student to get the deal?

I've been waiting for a Mac Mini refresh and to get in on a student deal would be great, but I'm no student.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I've been waiting for a Mac Mini refresh and to get in on a student deal would be great, but I'm no student.

At least you're honest about your dishonesty...

Have you ever considered a career in politics?
  • Reply 5 of 50
    So some people are claiming that Apple will have a 'back-to-school' promotion before school even lets out?

This is getting to be like stores that put Christmas stuff out a month before Halloween.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

So some people are claiming that Apple will have a 'back-to-school' promotion before school even lets out?

This is getting to be like stores that put Christmas stuff out a month before Halloween.

My thoughts exactly except around here in the mid-West the Xmas stuff goes on sale after Labor Day and lasts unit late january, making nearly 5 full months of gimme gimme gimme.

Sheesh, when I was growing up in the 40s and 50s, no one ever even tried to put Xmas stuff out until the day after Thanksgiving. You have to wonder how starting so early increases sales.

And for Apple to do this BtoS stuff in May? I find it very disingenuous and crass.

Oh wait, it's in Q3 so it helps the Q3 numbers. Then in Q4 they advertise specials for those who are actually returning to school. then there's Xmas in Q1 of next year. Or do I have the quarters all mixed up?
  • Reply 7 of 50
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Not to mention the fact that the whole purpose of the back to school sale is to blow out old stock so they can sell the new product.

If they do this in May, then that suggests a new iPod touch product sooner than September.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    If you check the education pricing right now, you'll see that the MacBook is now discounted to $899. It's regularly $949 for students. Weird thing though, it still only lists this as a $50 savings, not $100.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    yodieyodie Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Most colleges let out in mid-May. It's nice to get BTS free stuff after getting out of finals.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not to mention the fact that the whole purpose of the back to school sale is to blow out old stock so they can sell the new product.

If they do this in May, then that suggests a new iPod touch product sooner than September.

How so? It's been like this for the past few years.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    czech44czech44 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

colleges and universities here in toronto were done by end of april...
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Go to your local Community College, register for summer classes, but don't pick the classes, they will give you a temp. card, and Walla, your are a college student at no cost.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    bklynkidbklynkid Posts: 36member
    Ugh, I just bought an iMac!!
  • Reply 13 of 50
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleKoolaid View Post

Go to your local Community College, register for summer classes, but don't pick the classes, they will give you a temp. card, and Walla, your are a college student at no cost.

It's French.

And "you're a college student" is probably what you were trying to say.

You might want to actually attend a few classes instead of just registering for the temporary school ID.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Someone on the other thread suggested it could be a discount program. I didn’t think much of it at the time but it does make some sense it they are cleaning out out products. Maybe the iPhone and iPod releases are switching quarters.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

Ugh, I just bought an iMac!!

How just? If it's within two weeks of the promotion, you can usually get them to send you an iTouch for free (if you used a student discount).
  • Reply 16 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

It's French.

And "you're a college student" is probably what you were trying to say.

You might want to actually attend a few classes instead of just registering for the temporary school ID.

Post of the day!
  • Reply 17 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodie View Post

How just? If it's within two weeks of the promotion, you can usually get them to send you an iTouch for free (if you used a student discount).

And, continuing with that theme, there's no such thing as an 'iTouch.'
  • Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by czech44 View Post

colleges and universities here in toronto were done by end of april...

'Back to school' generally refers to grade school -- crayons and 'Trapper Keepers.' (anyone else here as old as I am?) The kiddies get out at the end of May or first week of June, and go back at the end of August or first of September.

Colleges and universities are all over the place. My first year of college was at the U. of Minnesota, and they were on a trimester system.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, continuing with that theme, there's no such thing as an 'iTouch.'

My dictionary is more descriptive than prescriptive (within reason).
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Quote:

'Back to school' generally refers to grade school -- crayons and 'Trapper Keepers.' (anyone else here as old as I am?) The kiddies get out at the end of May or first week of June, and go back at the end of August or first of September.

BTS for Apple refers to college.