Apple's fifth-gen iPhone rumored to have curved glass screen

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 64
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
    Isn't this more likely for the iPod Touch?

    Also - yes they might want to move the flash, but i'd imagine the A5's large size chip will hae meant things needing to be rejigged anyway.



    Would Apple ever enjoy moving things around in part to differentiate model types? I could see the use of the flash moving so people can identify the current model with the new iPhone this September.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    What if Apple is trying out a new Clamshell form figure?



    Everybody else is going bigger. With a Dual Screen, Dual Core phone. And with J. Ive using that Liquid Metal for a real thin strong shape.



    Just my halve cent worth
  • Reply 23 of 64
    eh270eh270 Posts: 60member
    Like this?



  • Reply 24 of 64
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post


    don't why it would really, glass is amorphous. May even be better if it follows the contour of a front pocket...





    I agree, in most instances curved objects do better in regards to accidental breakage. But I am dieing to see how Jonathan Ive and company pull this off. They have been on a roll hitting product design out of the park for so long.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post


    I agree, in most instances curved objects do better in regards to accidental breakage. But I am dieing to see how Jonathan Ive and company pull this off. They have been on a roll hitting product design out of the park for so long.



    Slightly better in terms of breakage, more 'organic' feel, new(ish) design trend, slips more easily into pocket, better (maybe) grip. That's what I could see.



    No major breakthough, but innovative and a difference to help differentiate and market the next new iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post


    Is it normal for Apple to purchase machines for a supplier?



    I can't speak specifically to Apple but it is common for a manufacturer to negotiate ownership of the tools their suppliers will use and often it is the manufacturer (i.e. Apple) who pays for the most specialized tools.



    In my company we are contracting with several suppliers and builders in South America, South Africa, and India. Our contracts state that if the relationship is terminated we keep the tools so we can easily transfer to a new supplier without needing to wait for all new tools to be engineered, tested, and polished.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post


    No major breakthough, but innovative and a difference to help differentiate and market the next new iPhone.



    They can differentiate by making the iPhone 5 look like the flagship Android device? I'm not so sure...



    IMO there would have to be a damn good reason for Apple to do this.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post


    Interesting.



    I'm confused by this article, but maybe someone here can set me straight. The article mentions the nexus S as a comparison for curved glass. I really don't know anything about it, so I did an image search. According to the pictures, the glass display doesn't look curved, yet the article above concerns a curved glass display, which made me think of something like the illustration above. Which one is it, curved back, or curved display? Or was I just not looking closely enough at the nexus S?



    I have a hard time seeing apple using a curved display for the phone. It's a neat idea, but would there be complaints about picture viewing, and games? I can see the concavity offering ease of use for the arch swing of the thumb...but I never saw this as an "issue" that needed to be solved. Have I completely misunderstood?



    Thoughts? I'm intrigued but skeptical.



    I own a Nexus S. I wasn't swept miraculously by the curved display(Super AMOLED, totally swept away). It adds a little bit of smoothness to the phone and feels a bit nicer on the face.



    But to see the actual curve, you have to almost dedicate yourself to pinpointing exact spots on the phone.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,774member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post


    Like this?







    They can call it the iGlass and they can build it with all clear parts.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The latest rumors from Apple's supply chain in Taiwan is that the fifth-generation iPhone will have a curved glass cover for its touchscreen display.



    Sounds possible .. for 2012 when the 5th generation iPhone comes out. 2011 is A5 processor, more memory and a universal chipset. Everything else is still in the lab.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post


    Is there any value in doing this beyond some insignificant aesthetic exercise?



    I'm just asking.



    I think the idea is to make it contour more naturally to the face when talking. Kinda like an old school handset. Also, may fit more naturally in the hand and in your pocket against the body. Works best if back is curved too. But all I ask is that it not rock when laid down on a surface, so would need some flat area in the center of the back



    As for copying Google? Apple debuted curved glass on iPod nano some time ago.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Curved beveled edges to make the feel more comfortable?
  • Reply 33 of 64
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rols View Post


    Sounds possible .. for 2012 when the 5th generation iPhone comes out. 2011 is A5 processor, more memory and a universal chipset. Everything else is still in the lab.



    Not to rain on your parade here, but the next phone that comes out (likely September), will be the 5th generation. It may or may not be called iPhone 5, but it will be the 5th generation regardless of what it is called. And as the pattern goes, the phone they come out with after that, in 2012, will be the 6th generation, and so on.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post


    Not to rain on your parade here, but the next phone that comes out (likely September), will be the 5th generation. It may or may not be called iPhone 5, but it will be the 5th generation regardless of what it is called. And as the pattern goes, the phone they come out with after that, in 2012, will be the 6th generation, and so on.



    Not necessarily. The original iPhone was not called iPhone 1, even though it was. The iPhone 3G was not called the iPhone 2 even though it was the second. The 3GS allowed the designation number to catch up to the actual generation (3). So even though the 4 is the 4th generation there is ample precedence in the past for Apple to ignore it going forward. If the next update is called 4S, it may be the 5th generation but not called iPhone5 either officially or casually. If Apple calls it the 4S, so will everyone else.



    Or did I miss your point.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Not necessarily. The original iPhone was not called iPhone 1, even though it was. The iPhone 3G was not called the iPhone 2 even though it was the second. The 3GS allowed the designation number to catch up to the actual generation (3). So even though the 4 is the 4th generation there is ample precedence in the past for Apple to ignore it going forward. If the next update is called 4S, it may be the 5th generation but not called iPhone5 either officially or casually. If Apple calls it the 4S, so will everyone else.



    Or did I miss your point.



    Yes you missed my point. I was basically arguing this same point because rols was saying that there will be an iPhone in 2012 that will be 5th generation. If he/she had said iPhone 5 would be out in 2012 then that could be true, and I would have let that slide. But the only way there is a 5th gen iPhone in 2012 is if there is one hell of a delay and we do not get the next phone until January at the earliest.



    Normally I wouldn't split hairs like this, but there still seem to be people who confuse the generation number with the radio technology and the marketing name, and this just gets annoying after awhile.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    Like this?







    An early design. \



    All the best.



    But it looks too much like a Blackberry. I prefer the iPhone 5 to look like a mini Macbook Air.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post


    Slightly better in terms of breakage, more 'organic' feel, new(ish) design trend, slips more easily into pocket, better (maybe) grip. That's what I could see.



    No major breakthough, but innovative and a difference to help differentiate and market the next new iPhone.



    And the amount of reflections will double, and it'll be harder to move the phone where there's no glare. Depending on how much curve there is, of course. Hopefully it'll be much less curve than the old iPod Nano, like maybe a mostly flat screen with just a slight curve on the edges. But curved edges may make it easier for the hand that's holding the iPhone to accidentally press something on the screen, especially if the screen goes edge-to-edge.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    Curved beveled edges to make the feel more comfortable?



    Yep guess this is it.



    An Android Fanboy once told me "Oh my god, don't buy an iPhone! Those hard aluminum and glass edges will hurt you after you hold the iPhone for longer than 10 minutes. I got myself an Samsung Galaxy with a nice curved back. You can hold it without hurting yourself". LOL
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    Like this?







    An early design. \



    All the best.



    Curve it along the length... not the width. Re-draw it like you were bending a playing card up the middle. Makes it easier to hold and avoids touches to the screen. Also, the bend should be very subtle...
  • Reply 40 of 64
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    As for the fifth-generation iPhone, the most recent details have suggested the device will have a camera lens and LED flash spread further apart on the rear of the device. This would allow for improved photos in low-lighting conditions by reducing the "red eye" effect sometimes created by camera flash.



    It will mostly prevent the horrible bleeding of light from the flash into the camera lens that is observed to fog photos taken with the iPhone 4.
Sign In or Register to comment.