Microsoft's Ballmer: Next-gen Windows systems coming next year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    We have many customers that run XP as the main OS. They have older software packages which run fine on XP. We have been shipping new HP systems to them and putting XP on them even though their software will work fine on 7.

They are happy with XP and the performance they get. We just stuck in a new hardware firewall and upgraded their security suite and they are pleased as punch.

Other clients have a majority of XP machines which will be upgraded over time to windows 7 when they are cycled out for new hardware but no one is in a rush to spend too much on hardware at this time
  • Reply 42 of 65
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

" Windows will be everywhere on every device without compromise," said Ballmer

Sorry NO! Mr. Ballmer, I have to object! There will be no Windows 8 on any of my devices. Not ever!
  • Reply 43 of 65
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I think a lot of people who got stuck with Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 7.

There's a subset of people that upgraded, but most people I know didn't even install Vista in the first place. They just used the XP downgrade disk or selected the WinXP option when they purchased a new PC.

I literally don't know of a single person that went down to their local store and purchased a retail Windows 7 upgrade disk then went home and installed it.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    eyensteinnoeyensteinno Posts: 148member
    Instead of using a non-exciting name of Windows 8 MS should find something that will draw attention to a new OS, like MobileBOB. Just touch different animals on the screen to activate

a function, like a dog for the internet connection or a monkey for the MS website.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Does it involve that stunningly creepy login screen?

The Character looks a bit like the great great grandmother of Sally (Nightmare before Christmas)

• Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post

Instead of using a non-exciting name of Windows 8 MS should find something that will draw attention to a new OS, like MobileBOB. Just touch different animals on the screen to activate

a function, like a dog for the internet connection or a monkey for the MS website.

Could be funny, but I would guess the dog is already reserved for search and rescue functions.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    eyensteinnoeyensteinno Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Could be funny, but I would guess the dog is already reserved for search and rescue functions.

Sorry, I didn't know what the dog was for since I don't use Windows. Next thing is someone going to say the the monkey is reserved for Steve Balmer's email address.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

lol. that screen is actually from one of the wallpapers in windows7. There's a set of wallpapers in win7 that looks like it was inspired by a bad acid trip; i especially liked the flying turtle one.

And where are the clowns?

There ought to be clowns.

Well, maybe next year.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

Operating System Market Share

Windows XP\t 53.18%

Windows 7\t 25.11%

Windows Vista\t 10.22%

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper....aspx?qprid=10

Scary that XP's market share is still so high.

Interesting...

AIR, in the settlement of the lawsuit over the Mac UI -- there was a cross-licensing agreement between Apple and MS. If I remember correctly, Apple has certain rights to Windows XP -- internal access, modification, republishing...

I wonder if Apple could provide [enough] Win XP code to migrate many users to OS X and iOS?
  • Reply 50 of 65
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that having to hold the same ctrl-alt-delete keys that are used to force quit, end tasks etc are still being used after 20 plus years. It just seems that Microsoft can not break away from the past. Couldn't they just use the "Windows" key to log in?

It would make sense, wouldn't it? The Windows key should be the key you use to interact with Windows.

( Not that Mac OSX's special keys are particularly meaningful )
  • Reply 51 of 65
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Interesting...

AIR, in the settlement of the lawsuit over the Mac UI -- there was a cross-licensing agreement between Apple and MS. If I remember correctly, Apple has certain rights to Windows XP -- internal access, modification, republishing...

I wonder if Apple could provide [enough] Win XP code to migrate many users to OS X and iOS?

I would doubt that Apple wants to be on the hook for another companies operating system and how well it runs under their OS. They have provided the way by allowing the OS to be booted on their machines, but the support basically ends there. Once the windows code is running natively in the OS they would likely have to support the applications interactions. I doubt they would want to take that on.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I think a lot of people who got stuck with Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 7. IMO Vista was so bad that they should have offered free upgrade from Vista to Win 7.

That's how I felt and I ended up doing what Apple's website calls 'the ultimate upgrade' instead.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    dcolleydcolley Posts: 87member
    Seems that it is taking Redmond longer to copy Apple these days.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcolley View Post

Seems that it is taking Redmond longer to copy Apple these days.

Microsoft is a slow burn strategy. They put the first version out in the market (and it's usually a joke), then steadily add features and grow their business, waiting for the #1 competitor to stumble. They did it with Lotus, Borland, Netscape, Palm, Sony... now they're waiting for Apple to trip up, make a mistake, stagnate, miss a product cycle for them to catch up. It hasn't worked yet against Google or Apple in markets where these companies are leading Microsoft, but that's their strategy.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

Isn't MS doing the thing that Apple did with iOS? Apple derived iOS from OS X (Darwin & XNU kernel). Now, Microsoft is doing the same thing and deriving the NT subsystems for ARM. Anything that's not suitable for tablet touchscreen are removed. The UI is rewritten from scratch for touchscreen usage, like iOS. The ARM version of Windows 8 doesn't run any of the legacy Windows apps, but it'll use the new app model (called appx) that's portable for ARM and x86.

Good call. I wasn't aware of the new architecture base of W8. (W8 = wait? = weight? Just a couple of thoughts.)
  • Reply 56 of 65
    willb2064willb2064 Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What I find ironic is that the XBox came out first between the Wii and the PS3, yet it's about to be surpassed by the PS3 and its nowhere near as popular as the Wii.

Total consoles sold isn't the be all and end all - just look at Android vs. iOS - Android has a bigger market share yet Apple makes almost all the profit in the mobile industry.

For example:

Wii is the most profitable hardware

Xbox has the highest software attach rate of the 3 consoles
  • Reply 57 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Maybe sort of, although we don't really have much information yet as to what, exactly, Windows 8 Tablet Edition (or whatever they end up calling it) will entail.

Your suggested title sounds as good as MS would make it with its propensity to refer to every last variant on a them an "edition." I don't know if anyone else around here can remember when newspapers were king and each day our local one would come out with a bulldog edition (for distribution to outlying areas, the morning edition, the afternoon edition, the evening edition, the sorts final edition, with an occasional EXTRA edition (when something of importance occurred between editions). There were rarely many differences in 85% of the paper, just new stories on the front sheet, which was wrapped around the morning edition. this is what MS seems to do, wrap extra stuff around an ad-filled bloated core and depending on what's been activated, you've got the home, the personal, the student, the teacher, the small business, the enterprise, the ultimate, and the Ballmer Special editions.

I really loved it a few years ago when Jobs introduced the latest Mac OS X (Tiger maybe?) and after he introduced the box, he said something like, "And here's the Home edition" and pulled out a second box that was just like the first. Apparently the audience of fans let out a groan that nearly brought down the ceiling. Turned out that all "editions" were the same thing at the same price.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

My guess is the Windows Slate will run a version of the Windows Phone OS modified for a larger screen whilst the Windows Tablet will run the full Windows 8 operating system.

God, why do some people have to whistle when they write the word "while." It's hurting my ears.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

The only exposure a lot (most?) people have of Windows is at their work on a locked down version of a decade old OS on crappy underpowered hardware with enough bloat to sink the titanic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

At some point, Microsoft is going to wake up to the fact that they're just repainting the Titanic.

You guys are great coming up with such vivid word pictures of MS and the Titanic. Poor Mr. Andrews and Mr. Ismay, reliving their adventure of building the Titanic only to find that it's full of bloat and is being repainted as it sails to its appointment with destiny.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

There's a subset of people that upgraded, but most people I know didn't even install Vista in the first place. They just used the XP downgrade disk or selected the WinXP option when they purchased a new PC.

I literally don't know of a single person that went down to their local store and purchased a retail Windows 7 upgrade disk then went home and installed it.

I know several. In fact, I purchased three liciences for Win7 Home upgrade, and have only installed one.

But hten work is upgrading me to Vista shortly, maybe then i will be able to use my esata port.