Microsoft retracts Ballmer's Windows 8 in 2012 comments

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why take the chance that he will get replaced by someone who actually knows what they are doing? Be careful what you wish for. Bill Gates might come back and then things would start to happen. Bill would start making we fanboys sweat bullets again.

Wasn't Vista a mostly Bill Gates thing?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

I wonder who had to decide to backpedal. And who had to tell the boss.

"The next version of Windows will be awesome"

"He said what? Dammit, we'll have to retract that too"
  • Reply 22 of 70
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

W8 - pronounced 'wait'.

Great way to start the day! Thanks.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why take the chance that he will get replaced by someone who actually knows what they are doing? Be careful what you wish for. Bill Gates might come back and then things would start to happen. Bill would start making we fanboys sweat bullets again.

Microsoft wasn't as successful as it was through the end of the last century because of Gates but simply because of the force of circumstances -- i.e., dumb luck. They rode that luck, with a little help from illegal activities, for over 20 years, but it finally ran out. Think about it, if Gates is as smart as everyone thinks he is, why did he leave Ballmer in charge? Everyone knew he was an idiot and a buffoon years before he was handed the reins.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please remain calm. It is quite common for the CEO of a company not to know the name and/or release date of their next major/minor operating/non-operating system. Instead, their attention is generally focused on the more important things...

Anyway, everybody knows that it will be called 'Windows Macrosoft OS VIII' and should be released not long after they've seen Lion.

It's obvious they are waiting for Lion to see if there's anything they can copy. They're probably already at work on a Windows Phone 7 App Store and Windows 8 App Store. (Program Store?)
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Think about it, if Gates is as smart as everyone thinks he is, why did he leave Ballmer in charge? Everyone knew he was an idiot and a buffoon years before he was handed the reins.

Because Gates is too rich to give a hoot anymore. Handing everything over to his doofus college buddy is part of his charity work.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

How embarrassing. Could you imagine Apple retracting statements from Steve Jobs?

Like : "We'll ship the white iPhone this june".

Anyway, I don't know if Balmer speaks too much, but it isn't good publicity. Too bad, I'm curious to see what it'll look like.

And have you seen their 'History Vault'? It's like Time Machine, just uglier.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Because Gates is too rich to give a hoot anymore. Handing everything over to his doofus college buddy is part of his charity work.

Funny, but, as exhibit B, I'll point you to Gates' video deposition in US v Microsoft. No signs of genius there. The only reason people think he is as smart as they do is because he's so rich.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

It'll probably wind up being called "Windows 8 Live with Bing" and ship in 2014...

With a blowback date of 2015, and then a positively, out the door time frame of 2016... Maybe then it might have all the wonderful new stuff in it that they had to take out of Longhorn/Vista/Windows 7 just to get that out the door?!

/

/

/
  • Reply 29 of 70
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    "Not intended to be taken as a factual statement, " says Senator Jon Kyl...

and Steve Ballmer.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Now it's official, Ballmer is an idiot.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Hmmm. I suppose you didn't see the logical contradiction there.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Poor Steve

The dude just gets so over excited he can't shut himself up. He must give the Microsoft PR team nightmares every time he hits the stage.

He reminds me more of Homer every time I see him. I'm waiting for him to do this at the Windows 8 launch
  • Reply 33 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Funny, but, as exhibit B, I'll point you to Gates' video deposition in US v Microsoft. No signs of genius there. The only reason people think he is as smart as they do is because he's so rich.

Billy boy was at least smart enough to realize Apple had it right with the first Mac OS and get his people to reverse engineer it. Other than that .... \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Poor Steve

The dude just gets so over excited he can't shut himself up. He must give the Microsoft PR team nightmares every time he hits the stage.

He reminds me more of Homer every time I see him. I'm waiting for him to do this at the Windows 8 launch

Oh please! Don't insult Homer like that!
  • Reply 34 of 70
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    "We regret that our leader is so dumb. The next version of our operating system will not be available until 4 years after Windows 7."
  • Reply 35 of 70
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

They're probably already at work on a Windows Phone 7 App Store and Windows 8 App Store. (Program Store?)

The app store for Windows Phone 7 launched with the phone. They call it the "Marketplace".

The app store in Windows 8 was one of the core features of the leaked OEM Windows 8 docs about 12 months or so ago, so I'd bet my house that there will be an app store in Windows 8.

I've got no idea what they are going to call it though. Apparently the "Windows App Store" images released not long ago were faked.

My guess would be on calling it the "Marketplace" and giving it an "Apps" section. That would be in line with the existing digital marketplaces on WPx and Xbox.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

In the Windows 8 developer's headquarter:

Quote:

- Oh nooo... he did it again!! We don't have it ready till next year.

- What is he nuts?!

- Somebody stop him!!"

Maybe, MS is planning to take over RIM -- and Balmer is practicing its "public" management style.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Ballmer himself is a misstatement.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
  • Reply 39 of 70
    revichrevich Posts: 4member
    You've got it right, Firefly7475. Like an aimless calvary commander, too many of these corporate "hard charger" types just don't know where they are charging too. All they know is that share-holders expect them to keep the horses running.

Run Steve Run. See Steve and his horses Run!

Quote:

Poor Steve

• Reply 40 of 70
    mebbertmebbert Posts: 56member
    That's awesome, and so true. It's hard to describe Ballmer in words, but 'Homer Simpson' pretty much sums it up.

Quote:

Poor Steve