Latest 'MAC Defender' malware attacks Mac OS X without password

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A new, more dangerous variant of "MAC Defender," dubbed "Mac Guard," has been discovered, and the new malware does not require an administrator password to install.

The discovery was announced on Wednesday by security firm Intego. Unlike previous versions of the software, which required users to enter an administrator password to install the fake antivirus, the latest variant uses a different install method.

"The first part is a downloader, a tool that, after installation, downloads a payload from a web server," the security firm said. "As with the Mac Defender malware variants, this installation package, called avSetup.pkg, is downloaded automatically when a user visits a specially crafted web site."

No administrator's password is required to install the application, and if users have Safari's "Open 'safe' files after downloading option checked, the package will open Apple's Mac OS X installer, and users will see a standard installation screen. However, at this point users must still agree to install the "MAC Defender" malware.

The second part of the malware is a new version called "MacGuard." The avRunner application automatically downloads "MacGuard," which, like its predecessor, aims to trick users into providing credit card numbers in exchange for supposedly ridding a users' systems of "infected" files.

This week, Apple posted instructions on its website explaining how to remove the "MAC Defender" malware. The company also revealed it will release an update to its Mac OS X operating system that will automatically find and remove the malware.

Some reports have suggested that the "MAC Defender" malware has spread quickly, with one anonymous AppleCare representative claiming that the "overwhelming majority" of recent calls to Apple were related to the malware. The software was first discovered early this month, also by Intego.

While the original variant was categorized as a "low" threat because it requires users to type in an administrator password, the latest version is considered more dangerous, and was ranked with a "medium" risk.

The malware has spread through search engines like Google via a method known as "SEO poisoning." Using this technique, phony sites are designed to game search engine algorithms and show up when users search for certain topics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    I wish the press would stop using words like "virus" and "attack". The software doesn't attack anything (other then the intelligence of those who install it) and it is not a virus nor is it a trojan. It's a phishing attack, a software con artist that depends on users making at least one conscious decision to actually install the thing onto their systems.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    the fact that you are intentionally installing a program, regardless of entering a password, should mean the risk is still low.
  • Reply 3 of 93
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Yeah, installing a trojan horse bit of nagware is only an "attack" in the mind of Ed Bott. The ability to load software limited to the current admin user is also not a "dangerous" new development. The user has to be an ADMIN who is PURPOSELY INSTALLING SCARE-WARE from an unknown source.

This is an irresponsible headline and lead for AI to be printing.

Inaccurate, misleading, sensationalist.
  • Reply 4 of 93
    True, attacking the intelligence of the end user, the weaklings amongst them will provide the card details too. Press nowadays all about click, the loudest and fastest but little is paid for reputation, accuracy and responsibility.

OTH, they who made this nuisances wouldn't go far with OSX with this kind of approach especially when it is now a well publicised issue of which Apple already post a solution.
  • Reply 5 of 93
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    When this type of nonsense happens to Windows users...many Apple people I know (I use both OS X and Windows computers) use this as a reason to switch from PC to Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    Would anyone download an unknown, untested, un-vouched-for "defender" or "guard" or anything else for that matter, but especially something that claims to be a defender, guard, etc....?
  • Reply 7 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitWrangler View Post

It's a phishing attack, a software con artist that depends on users making at least one conscious decision to actually install the thing onto their systems.

and it makes me wonder why people click "OK" to begin with. I mean seriously. I've seen macdefender ads all over. It's a classic scam, why would anyone think it is in fact ok?
  • Reply 8 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

When this type of nonsense happens to Windows users...many Apple people I know (I use both OS X and Windows computers) use this as a reason to switch from PC to Mac.

Great post...and bang goes Apple's marketing...

Win PC user installs trojan = Win PC bad

OSX user installs trojan = User bad

????

• Reply 9 of 93
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

and it makes me wonder why people click "OK" to begin with. I mean seriously. I've seen macdefender ads all over. It's a classic scam, why would anyone think it is in fact ok?

Because users trust their Apple products. They have been told that no matter what, there is no malware written for their computers. So, clicking "Okay" can't harm them, right? Because that's what Apple said.

(What I don't get, is why people are downloading an AV program for an OS that touts it not needing one. Ironic.)

Viruses Ad

Spyware Ad

Of course, you do need AV for Windows. Sadly, most people get bamboozled into buying something like Norton or McAfee or some other resource hog... so maybe that's part of it too.
  • Reply 10 of 93
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

Great post...and bang goes Apple's marketing...

Win PC user installs trojan = Win PC bad

OSX user installs trojan = User bad

????

Forgetting the viruses on PC?
  • Reply 11 of 93
    ernstcsernstcs Posts: 27member
    I've always hated and never understood why the option existed in Safari to automatically 'Open "Safe" files after downloading'. I don't think Safari really knows what's SAFE and what's not. Bad Apple!
  • Reply 12 of 93
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:

hive mind thinking, perpetuated by some advocates of Apple products, that Mac OS X doesn't suffer from malicious software is dangerous. the ignorance and arrogance, on the part of the advocates, is also unfortunate.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

I wish the press would stop using words like "virus" and "attack". The software doesn't attack anything (other then the intelligence of those who install it) and it is not a virus nor is it a trojan. It's a phishing attack, a software con artist that depends on users making at least one conscious decision to actually install the thing onto their systems.

I wish some people would stop using the word attack to describe this too.

Sorry, could not resist.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    How about Google cleaning up its act? Oh, right, why should Google do anything to help a competitor? Perhaps we should switch to Bing in protest.

As for Apple cleaning up after malware with OS updates, this approach seems destined to fail when the variety of malware explodes.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

How about Google cleaning up its act? Oh, right, why should Google do anything to help a competitor? Perhaps we should switch to Bing in protest.

As for Apple cleaning up after malware with OS updates, this approach seems destined to fail when the variety of malware explodes.

What have to clean Google, or Bing, or Yahoo. All of three can be cheated by SEO techniques.
  • Reply 16 of 93
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Um, see anything ironic about the parts I highlighted? And you are simply mincing words anyway. It's a threat. And the people who are most like to be victims don't know or care about the technical distinction you are trying to make. In my book, if someone lays out landmines hoping I'll step on one, I'd call that an attack.

The article left out one critical piece of info...the no password version only works if you are logged in as an admin account. From the Intego article:

Quote:

Since any user with an administrator?s account ? the default if there is just one user on a Mac ? can install software in the Applications folder, a password is not needed.

This is an area I think Apple would do well to better educate their customers. The difference between admin and non-admin accounts. And they should encourage users to not use admin accounts for anything other than administering their computers. And use non-Admin accounts for regular, daily use. It's not fool-proof, but it ensures that the user will be asked for a password, and one that's different from their normal daily login password (hopefully). And that will be one more chance for the person to stop and think about what they are doing.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 18 of 93
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Would anyone download an unknown, untested, un-vouched-for "defender" or "guard" or anything else for that matter, but especially something that claims to be a defender, guard, etc....?

Because 99% of typical users are completely naive. They are not stupid people but they are ignorant of the risks and will click on just about anything. It's a reflex action almost. This, unfortunately, is more typical of Mac users because they have been duped into believing nothing can touch OS X. I have finally convinced other family members to not respond to any emails requesting personal information or asking them to "verify" their account.
  • Reply 19 of 93
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 20 of 93
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Because 99% of users are not the type of people to frequent special-interest Apple forums.