if the next president is a democrat, will he get the free ride Bush is getting today?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>I'd say that inventing the story that he came out and said he'd been a drunk driver when in fact he tried to cover it up until he was caught is an example of absurd praise.</strong><hr></blockquote>

har har har
  • Reply 62 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by OBJRA10:

<strong>

Bush is actually a reasonable human being, and he's honest about his faults. See, integrity isn't about the mistakes you made, it's about your willingness to take responsibility and deal with the consequences. Then you move on with your life.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What responsibility did Bush ever have to take in his life, and what negative consequences did he ever suffer for his mistakes?

[quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong> You perceive that, because it isn't there in explicit words. The only way you can see it is to read into it. Simply saying that Bush fessed up isn't saying that Bush is Jesus v2.0.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's like playing whack-a-mole...smack down one false dichotomy, and it just pops out of another hole.

<strong>I certainly never said anything of the sort, yet you were so ready to bemoan the non-existant praise you didn't let that absence get in your way.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, come on now. Are you honestly saying that all of the comparisons of Bush and Clinton (both here on the boards, as well as in the real world) do not amount to value judgments?

<strong>You see, now you're just going overboard. Please point that out somewhere, anywhere, in this thread.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I already said, "I refer not necessarily to posters here, but to the media in general," and I already included a link to the recent Churchill reference.

<strong>And you will continue to defend against the spinning windmills that seem to you to be dragons of absurdity.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, stop.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by Josef K.:

<strong>Oh, come on now. Are you honestly saying that all of the comparisons of Bush and Clinton (both here on the boards, as well as in the real world) do not amount to value judgments?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Certainly not from me, and you can't honestly expect me to speak for everyone (real or imaginary) that you have heard from. If you're going to lambast one poster for an idea make sure that poster actually put forward the idea you're attacking.
  • Reply 64 of 64

<strong>Certainly not from me, and you can't honestly expect me to speak for everyone (real or imaginary) that you have heard from. </strong><hr></blockquote>

If your girlfriend said to you, "My old boyfriend was well endowed, you're not. That's the bottom line," you wouldn't take that personally?

<strong>If you're going to lambast one poster for an idea make sure that poster actually put forward the idea you're attacking.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The only real criticism I've directly leveled against you in this thread has concerned the idea that Bush was honest and admitted to his mistakes - an opinion you most assuredly espoused.

Otherwise, when I told you that Bush doesn't deserve credit for being honest, that's "lambasting" you?

If you really don't believe that Bush deserves credit for his honesty ("real or imaginary," as you say), then why don't you just come right out and directly say so?