Comments

• Reply 41 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

A great day for Apple.

An even greater day next Monday.

Welcome back Steve.

To be clear, Jobs was never gone. In 2008 he did take a 6 month leave, but this year he was simply working from home more often.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I'm curious what our next email address will be now....

I just finally got all of my contacts put through to [email protected] from mac.com... what next? [email protected]? oy.....

I think they will stay as me.com and the old mac.com. It's shorter and sweeter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

It seems obvious to me that by Apple choosing to announce what they are going to present before they do it that they have something up there sleeves. Now I def. can't wait for June 6.

It's a developer conference so mentioning the desktop OS, mobile OS and the service that will tie them together isn't a shocker. The only shock, as the article stated, is they announced the name of their revamped cloud service outside of normal channels. But they only announced the name, no real secrets. I wouldn't expect any HW at the event and I am half expecting Jobs to announce his successor.
  • Reply 42 of 162
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

No, that's exactly what he should do. In fact, it might even be better if he wasn't there at all. One of the problems with Steve and Apple is that he's made it seem like that he's the whole company. His "insistence" on doing these presentations even when he's still officially on personal leave only reinforces the notion that no other executive in the company is capable of making such a presentation except for him.

He makes occassional "thank you's" to the team, but it still comes across as "all Steve, all the time." Even if his health wasn't an issue, he needs to begin stepping back so that the market is assured that the rest of the exec team can run the company. Otherwise, whenever he does leave, whether it's by choice (like Bill Gates) or because of health issues, the stock won't crash to absurd lows based on the false assumption that without Steve, Apple can't be successful. And if Apple doesn't have anyone else who can give exciting, credible presentations, then they need to hire those types of people.

IMO, the CFO should present the sales/financial review and the head of each product team should present the new services/products. Steve (since he'll obviously be there), should act as moderator and booster for his team of execs.

Whew! It's great that Apple has executives with experience to ignore kibitzers with none!
  • Reply 43 of 162
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AIR, pricing was:

-- 20 GB free with ads

-- buy additional 20 GB disks for $20 / year with ads

-- 100 GB without ads at $99 / year

Now, that's not too shabby. Finally, the $99/year (that I've been paying for nought all these years) might just be worth it....

Don't want to get too excited until I see how it's implemented, though. Hopefully, they've fired the MobileMe (and whatever the heck it was called before that -- DotMac?) team, and got some new thinking in there.
  • Reply 44 of 162
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

The CloudMe site is active:

CloudMe

Nothing to do with Apple! http://xcerion.com/
  • Reply 45 of 162
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Sorry, but...

* Zzzzzzzzzzzzz *
  • Reply 46 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Sorry, but...

* Zzzzzzzzzzzzz *

Why are you on this site, then?

Lion. iOS 5. Cloud services.

That's everything. If you're "bored" by them, you really have no reason to be here.
  • Reply 47 of 162
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:

Sorry, but...

* Zzzzzzzzzzzzz *

I completely agree, who wants new stuff anyway?
  • Reply 48 of 162
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's everything. If you're "bored" by them, you really have no reason to be here.

That's true.
  • Reply 49 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Now, that's not too shabby. Finally, the $99/year (that I've been paying for nought all these years) might just be worth it....

Don't want to get too excited until I see how it's implemented, though. Hopefully, they've fired the MobileMe (and whatever the heck it was called before that -- DotMac?) team, and got some new thinking in there.

Recalled incorrectly, here's the pricing:

Packages
  • Reply 50 of 162
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

I second that. I love what I'm seeing in OS X 10.7, it's great stuff, but it's all evolutionary and it most likely won't significantly change my day-to-day use of my OS X machines.

iOS 5 on the other hand, I expect a lot from that. The things I'm most interested in is (of course) the notification system, the way it will handle multi-core CPU's (I'm pretty sure it's going to have some twist that makes it much easier for developers to exploit multiple cores compared to other OS's), and what new API's and frameworks will be available. My prediction is that the notification system and some minor UI changes and gimmicks such as widgets will attract most of the attention of the general public, and that many people will be disappointed that iOS 5 will not introduce a massive UI overhaul (I don't think it's going to happen), but that meanwhile, under the hood, so many things will change that iOS 5 will open a whole new world of opportunities for developers. Looking forward to it

For me the only thing I'm really interested in are the "broken" parts that interfere with my daily work. Notifications work well enough for the amount of notifications I get, they are only "broken" for me in that they are really poorly implemented within applications. eBay for instance uses notifications, but so badly that it's almost not worth using their apps.

The major "broken" part of iOS for me is and always has been the file system (or lack of one). I understand the "we don't want a traditional file system," goal and the "we can't make it easy because that would be insecure," goal that Apple is working with, but there still needs to be some kind of rudimentary file system. Specifically, there has to be a rational, reasonable, easy way to manage documents in iOS and so far there just isn't.

iOS will never replace traditional computing without really good document management. I understand that the average user is not "into" managing documents, and that most people don't even know where most of their stuff is on their computer, but it is a computer after all. How can you write with it or draw with it if you can't efficiently manage the products of your work?

I'm thinking that the cloud could easily be part of a good solution to this problem, so I'm expecting this solution to be revealed on June 6th. The fact that *nobody*, no blogs, no dev sites or anything is talking about this however gives me pause and makes me think that they probably aren't ready to tackle this problem yet. But there is hope.
  • Reply 51 of 162
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Packages

Very good. Still nothing to do with Apple though!
  • Reply 52 of 162
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Packages

You do know that this isn't Apple right?
  • Reply 53 of 162
    Quote:

Best feature of Lion, Mac App Store, is already out.

Biggest announced feature in iOS 5 is widgets. Useless junk that drains battery.

Mac cloud service has been out for several years and is one of the few areas where Apple has been an unqualified flop.

* Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *
  • Reply 54 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Best feature of Lion, Mac App Store, is already out.

Right.

Quote:

Biggest announced feature in iOS 5 is widgets. Useless junk that drains battery.

And you think you know that, don't you?

Quote:

Mac cloud service has been out for several years and is one of the few areas where Apple has been an unqualified flop.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? You can't possibly think that Apple is just going to pull the script for the MobileMe launch out of storage and just give that again? No, seriously, you're joking about this. I refuse to believe that a human being can believe what you say you believe.
  • Reply 55 of 162
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

The CloudMe site is active:

CloudMe

Edit:

Oops... There, then gone in an instant!!

AIR, pricing was:

-- 20 GB free with ads

-- buy additional 20 GB disks for $20 / year with ads

-- 100 GB without ads at $99 / year

I just went there trying to find out about the iCloud and it brought me to cloudme.com.
  • Reply 56 of 162
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Very good. Still nothing to do with Apple though!

It's what comes up when you type iCloud.com into your bar.
  • Reply 57 of 162
    Quote:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? You can't possibly think that Apple is just going to pull the script for the MobileMe launch out of storage and just give that again? No, seriously, you're joking about this. I refuse to believe that a human being can believe what you say you believe.

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason MobileMe failed is because it's a pointless service no one wants, not because of it's launch?

Or do you think no buys it two years after it's launch, and no one bought DocMac before it, is solely because incompentant underlings failed to implement Steve Jobs vision with proper granduer on day one?
  • Reply 58 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

You do know that this isn't Apple right?

I don't know about that...

http://www.icloud.com

redirects to

http://www.cloudme.com/en

However, I will say that I signed up and I am not too happy with the few things I've tried:

-- Flash required in browser for uploads to web site

-- Java required in browser for uploads from mobile

-- Agnostic look to the "windows" Java-esque -- neither fish no fowl.

There is an iPhone size iOS app in the app store that works OK -- but an iPad app is needed.

It does have a file system, though, and this could be the missing link for iOS devices.
  • Reply 59 of 162
    Quote:

Has it ever occurred to you that the reason MobileMe failed is because it's a pointless service no one wants, not because of it's launch?

Or do you think no buys it two years after it's launch, and no one bought DocMac before it, is solely because incompentant underlings failed to implement Steve Jobs vision with proper granduer on day one?

Well, thank the Deity, that they, and we, can all benefit from your wisdom and support.
  • Reply 60 of 162
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I'm curious what our next email address will be now....

I just finally got all of my contacts put through to [email protected] from mac.com... what next? [email protected]? oy.....

They will do what they did with dotmac to mobileme. They will allow both addresses to dump into the same mail box.

that is, if they actually have an icloud.com at all. it might just stay me.com

as for the whole "weird move". The rumors have gotten so big that it is going to happen that it makes sense for them to confirm yes there is something, now come back and find out what. It actually builds the excitement tossing that carrot out there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I'm glad Steve will be there, but it sounds like one of those keynotes where is more like the MC, handing off the individual presentations to other execs. I prefer when he does the whole thing. He used to do a 90min presentation all by himself without skipping a beat.

And that nearly killed the company. Doing the whole thing put out there the impression to the general public that Steve Jobs = Apple. Steve goes and the company goes with him. And about 2-3 years ago that resulted in the stock crashing do like $50 a share because of the whole Steve is dying talk.

So the company started having other folks on the stage to show that there are other minds involved. And very good ones (they should be Steve hand picked them). In fact I heard from a source that even at his worst Steve could still do the whole thing by himself but it was his idea and insistence that the others take the stage even if they didn't want to. Just for that show to the public. Now things like the Jonny moment are as much a moment in the keynote as Steve is (it's the accent, chicks dig that accent lol)