Apple may offer free iCloud services with aggressively priced Mac OS X Lion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 119
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

Because I was paying $140 for 2 separate accounts and their greater storage capacity on iDisk which we use for cloud backup. A much better deal for 2 persons.

Wow! Has it finished yet ?
  • Reply 42 of 119
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    If iCloud mirrors/backups my entire iTunes library, including all the CDs I ripped using Apple Lossless, I would happily pay for it.
  • Reply 43 of 119
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Crap, made the change. Sorry, I mean Lion.

Sokay. I was kinda making a lame joke anyway
  • Reply 44 of 119
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It seems unlikely to me that they will then take this new feature away next week.

They won't, you'll just be paying for it.
  • Reply 45 of 119
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They won't, you'll just be paying for it.

What I meant was this was a "new feature" and it seems like it's included in the price I already pay.

I'm already fine with $99 a year for the bookmark syncing and email alone, if they add in cloud documents and don't change the price, it's a win for me, and probably for most MobileMe members as well.
  • Reply 46 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unkown Blogger View Post

How do you "preannounce" something? Once you mention it, that's the announcement.

It works like magic.
  • Reply 47 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What I meant was this was a "new feature" and it seems like it's included in the price I already pay.

I'm already fine with $99 a year for the bookmark syncing and email alone, if they add in cloud documents and don't change the price, it's a win for me, and probably for most MobileMe members as well.

I might pay more for them to stop mangling my data.
  • Reply 48 of 119
    Won't you need 3g service or WiFi to access to cloud? And if you are someplace without those two I guess you have no music or data???
  • Reply 49 of 119
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Won't you need 3g service or WiFi to access to cloud? And if you are someplace without those two I guess you have no music or data???

I don't know why you would assume that you can't put them onto your ipod/phone/pad/laptop like always.

Personally, I ripped all of my DVDs to watch on my iPad. Until there is a 1.5 TB iPad, streaming works or me. I already do it via homesharing, but to do it at the cottage would be a big bonus. Of course, I always leave a season of Seinfeld on it in case the internet is down.
  • Reply 50 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unkown Blogger View Post

How do you "preannounce" something? Once you mention it, that's the announcement.

You realize, of course, you won't get far in life if you keep making sense like that.
  • Reply 51 of 119
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

One thing that wouldn´t help Lion addoption is if Core Solo Macs and/or Core Duo Macs were not supported by Lion.

There is a host of older iMacs and Mac Minis that should be supported. (hec even if its not your main Mac, maybe you use it as a backup server and Lion´s server software would be perfect for that)

Any news on what the minimum system requirements for Lion will be?

Definitely not supported in the Lion Preview. Only 64 bit CPUs are officially supported. Some people reportedly have hacked the installer to allow it to run on Core Duo, but those are probably the same folks that get it to run on Dells too.
  • Reply 52 of 119
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 775member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Or "Baron Von Cloudington"

The Queen actually bestowed that on Prince William to cover the Crown's devoted Apple followers. It pairs rather nicely with his other title Baron Carrickfergus.
  • Reply 53 of 119
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    I don't get why people think it is impossible for iCloud to be free.

Even if the MPAA/RIAA get high fees people have to remember that the goal of this service is to drive iPod/iPhone/iPad sales.

If Apple takes the hit off the top for the consumer they would more than make up for it in increased sales of their hardware products.
  • Reply 54 of 119
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I don't know why you would assume that you can't put them onto your ipod/phone/pad/laptop like always.

Personally, I ripped all of my DVDs to watch on my iPad. Until there is a 1.5 TB iPad, streaming works or me. I already do it via homesharing, but to do it at the cottage would be a big bonus. Of course, I always leave a season of Seinfeld on it in case the internet is down.

Get a NAS like the Promise SmartStor. Built in DNLA with a web server and you can access and stream media from the browser.
  • Reply 55 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

We're probably looking at $49 for a boxed copy and $29 for the Mac App Store download.

Unlikely for that price!
  • Reply 56 of 119
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

I don't get why people think it is impossible for iCloud to be free.

If Apple takes the hit off the top...

Because Apple doesn't "take hits off the top".
  • Reply 57 of 119
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Am I massively missing something about streaming of music, but I really can't understand why I need it? The fact that I can have my iTunes library on multiple devices means I already have all my music with me wherever I go. I really can't imagine a time I wouldn't have my music with me.

Maybe there is a business out there for a subscription music plan like Netflix is for movies, but I can't see it. I think people are used to owning their music and Apple will have a hard time overcoming that.

As for the pricing of iCloud, it will depend entirely on what it consists of. I've never paid for MobileMe, because Yahoo Mail is good and free. Web calendaring doesn't seem to fit for me, since my iPhone (which is always with me) synchs my Outlook calendar, so I just don't see the value proposition.

Good luck to them though. There has been so much talk about Cloud computing that I wait to be blown away by it - but it's not happened yet......

Yeah, I have the same feelings about the music streaming. I love music, but I have less than 5gb...even if I had three times the music, it would still all fit on my iphone with no trouble, and I imagine in one year there will be more storage space. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but of the things that take up a great deal of space on my phone, music isn't one of them. I see how it could be helpful...I suppose...but I don't see why it is an emphasized feature.
  • Reply 58 of 119
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Am I totally alone in liking MobileMe? I agree it's pricey if you only use one or two of its features, but if you use them all it's great value. The web hosting is often unused by the moaners but it's worth the market rate for hosting alone! Push email and calendar synch make it a great package.

It all works just fine for me too and always has after a few early problems, for which (as in conveniently forgotten) I was reimbursed!!
  • Reply 59 of 119
    ICloud may be well and good but many times I don't have internet access so I am leery of cloud only apps and access!
  • Reply 60 of 119
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    I hope they also co-announce the back-to-school promo. Then new Air's sometime soon.

New Air w/ Lion + free 8GB iTouch = winning