Microsoft demonstrates Windows 8 with HTML5 apps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 177
    n1954679n1954679 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Honestly that UI kills iOS. I'm not so sure a full version of windows needs to be on a tablet, and I dont understand how this is meant to be used on a laptop, but the basic layout of the homescreens looks so much cleaner and more functional than ios4, which has pretty much looked the same since 2007. Apple needs to step it up beyond a grid of icons and some widgets.

I have to agree, it does look good. But we are looking at a late 2012, 2013 release date for this and MS makes a habit of showing cool tech and never delivering. As they say, competition is good
  • Reply 42 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Why is it good for MS to have shown this so soon? This is just another MS concept video tossed out before another real Apple product. Remember the Courier?

1) Yes, this does look like MS trying to get a jump on Apple's WWDC demo of iOS 5.0 or iPad and Mac OS X Lion, but remember that YouTube video came out the same day as MS' presentation at D9.

2) No, the YouTube and D9 videos are not CGI concept videos.
  • Reply 43 of 177
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Yes, this does look like MS trying to get a jump on Apple's WWDC demo of iOS 5.0 or iPad and Mac OS X Lion, but remember that YouTube video came out the same day as MS' presentation at D9.

2) No, the YouTube and D9 videos are not CGI concept videos.

Completely agree! I'm not saying the this is CGI, or that W8 will not come out in some form. But this is very early interface concepts stuff. They are nowhere near ready to be talking about what the actual shipping product will look like or how it will perform. The are not shipping betas to devs. There is no reason to even show this stuff except to try and stay relevant in the onslaught of what they know is about to happen at WWDC.

The only real difference between this and the Courier is that they actually intend to develop and ship this at some point.
  • Reply 44 of 177
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Microsoft schooled Apple on this one, a week before Apple. You know Steve has to be pissed. You have to admit, no one saw Microsoft doing this so soon.

Ok no saw this coming so soon, when Ballmar had particularly announced the new version at a conference. I think you have not been watching news lately. Also with Apple's announcements next week, you may see that Apple further ahead of windows then you think. Using word schooled is very strong, since this is video of initial product and have a while to wait for the finished item. Lets not get too excited and wait for it to be finished.
  • Reply 45 of 177
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agion1 View Post

I have an iPad 2 and love it. With that said, in my view, this thing looks better on every level. What can my iPad do that this cannot? Hopefully Jobs will have some big surprises come the keynote on Monday.

Everything since Microsoft still has to ship something. Then we just have to wait for some Apps...
  • Reply 46 of 177
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Microsoft schooled Apple on this one, a week before Apple. You know Steve has to be pissed. You have to admit, no one saw Microsoft doing this so soon.

Really! What did you see? An HTML5 demo, most likely a complete mockup. At this stage most demos are just that. All you saw most likely was IE9 in fullscreen mode running a mockup...
  • Reply 47 of 177
    cylackcylack Posts: 26member
    In the beginning of the video when the guys says that we're in their design room where they get inspired the camera didn't pan far enough to the left. When he pointed out what inspires them the camera just fell short of the design teams' iMac, iPhone, and iPad. Wow MS, doing an App Store too now? Hmm, wonder where they got that idea from?
  • Reply 48 of 177
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Soon? like in a year or two? that's "soon"? or is it actually vaporware, hypeware, promiseware, or whatever you call something that doesn't really exist yet? along with all its non-existant apps. oh yeah, a demo.

bullsh*t might be more accurate.

and after Jobs mops the floor with MS next week, it will be patheticware.
  • Reply 49 of 177
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Soon? like in a year or two? that's "soon"? or is it actually vaporware, hypeware, promiseware, or whatever you call something that doesn't really exist yet? along with all its non-existant apps. oh yeah, a demo.

bullsh*t might be more accurate.

and after Jobs mops the floor with MS next week, it will be patheticware.

Probably called a demo, an announcement, or maybe a paper launch (though that term is usually limited to the nVidia / ATi fan fights)

Vaporware refers to an announced product that never gets released, usually in hindsight. So that term wouldn't technically be correct in this usage. Ironically, it was Microsoft who first used this term.
  • Reply 50 of 177
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

- "Thumbs" keyboard. I hope Apple does something like this for the iPad. Its unpleasant to use the existing soft keyboard on the iPad. I prefer the iPhone keyboard over the iPad due to the ergonomic issue.

- New touch oriented apps sound cool.

- Nice vivid demo

Unsure:

-. Live tiles seems useful. However, I'm concerned about battery life of having too much "live" updates. Is this really practical and a worthwhile battery life trade off?

- Is there a style guide for the new touch oriented app SDK? Or will it just be the wild wild west free for all?

- Multitasking. Not sure how average consumers will actually want more then one apps on the screen at the same time. I only really do this for cut-n-paste operations personally. As long as the task switching is efficient and cut and paste work well, I dot really need to have more then one app visible at the same time. Battery life concerns of turning multiple apps at the same time.

Dislike:

- I don't think running legacy Windows apps designed for use with a high resolution pointer such as a mouse via touch interface is appropriate. I guess this would be similar to having the desire to run my Mac OS X apps on my iPad via an agent like Ignition. I don't really have any desire as this would be exhausting, IMHO. The app has to be DESIGNED for touch from the very beginning.

As a result, would a buy a tablet form factor to run my legacy desktop apps? probably not. Same reason all Windows tablet have failed thus far.

Recommendation to MS. Stop trying to make Windows Legacy Apps run on Tablets. You are better off just extending Windows Phone 7 to the tablet with its own set of touch oriented apps.
  • Reply 51 of 177
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Probably called a demo, an announcement, or maybe a paper launch (though that term is usually limited to the nVidia / ATi fan fights)

Vaporware refers to an announced product that never gets released, usually in hindsight. So that term wouldn't technically be correct in this usage. Ironically, it was Microsoft who first used this term.

Microsoft product users are a fairly uncritical lot when it comes to usability, so the poor, beaten down masses will glom onto this like a pitbull on peanut butter.
  • Reply 52 of 177
    Quote:

You've gotta be kidding. Apple can't make its products fast enough to meet demand, and you think Jobs cares about a MS product that doesn't even exist? Get real.
  • Reply 53 of 177
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Look at the video starting at 38 seconds.

The far right of the screen has a bunch of blurred out stuff hanging on the wall.

Must be photos/notes of Apple products for them to copy.

• Reply 54 of 177
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    When will Microsoft learn? Tiling wasn't popular with Windows 1.0 either.
  • Reply 55 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylack View Post

In the beginning of the video when the guys says that we're in their design room where they get inspired the camera didn't pan far enough to the left. When he pointed out what inspires them the camera just fell short of the design teams' iMac, iPhone, and iPad. Wow MS, doing an App Store too now? Hmm, wonder where they got that idea from?

I good quote about the way Apple innovates. "Good artists know how to copy, Great artists know what to steal".

I was good to see Microsoft finally thinking about "stealing concepts" from non-computer oriented domains, thinking about humanities and ergonomics. A step in the right direction IMHO,

However, to make this viable as a tablet platform, they have to give up this idea of running all of the legacy apps and supporting legacy design assumptions. File System Browsers and management, On screen multitasking, etc. Get over it guys... open your minds a bit more.
  • Reply 56 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Well Microsoft's IE monopoly has fallen from 95% to LESS THAN 25% (according to W3Schools). And the company's share of mobiles has fallen from ~25% to something like 7% in just a few years.

The PC market itself is falling, with significant contraction happening worldwide. Apple is eating into that with Mac OS X while it creates a new market for iOS devices that is hitting it from below.

Delivering a tepid product that chases the iPad and does little but confuse Windows PC users is not going to shore up Microsoft's losses. Although the use of HTML5 is interesting. It denotes the complete failure of Silverlight.

Windows 7 numbers *alone* are greater than iOS and Mac devices put together.
  • Reply 57 of 177
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    One question: Did Balmer post his resume yet?

http://www.dailytech.com/Influential...ticle21736.htm
  • Reply 58 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    @snova,

I like the thoroughness and balance of your posts. Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 59 of 177
    jca666usjca666us Posts: 87member

Looking good? Oookay - screenshots of win doze running on arm. It's a good first start, but looks a few years away from being a polished cohesive interface.

I think honeycomb is garbage, but it's much better than windows 8!
  • Reply 60 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Windows 7 numbers *alone* are greater than iOS and Mac devices put together.

While looking at the current market share is definitely meaningful, looking at business trends and and momentum are even more so. Things can change quickly in this industry. Simply ask Apple, Nokia, and RIM.

You can be sure, Microsoft is taking the iPad threat very seriously.