Originally Posted by snova View Post

Im a touch typist...

How else would you do it? Telekinesis?
  • Reply 122 of 177
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

now there is an idea. this would make the challenge go away completely.
  • Reply 123 of 177
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:

Im a touch typist...

Quote:

Soli, I hope this is meant to be humor. In case it isn't (I'm humor-challenged today), the term "touch-typist" refers to a person who can read a ms. and accurately type without looking at the keyboard. That's why there are little projections on the F and J keys of the US keyboard; that's where you place your two index fingers.
  • Reply 124 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Soli, I hope this is meant to be humor. In case it isn't (I'm humor-challenged today), the term "touch-typist" refers to a person who can read a ms. and accurately type without looking at the keyboard. That's why there are little projections on the F and J keys of the US keyboard; that's where you place your two index fingers.

Not the inclusion of an emoticon smily sticking his tongue out .
  • Reply 125 of 177
    List of quotes posted by Flaneur:

Quote:

It does look nice.

Quote:

It looks good.

Quote:

have to admit that I thought it looked pretty good.

Quote:

I have to agree, it does look good.

Quote:

The UI looks nice.

Quote:

It does look nice

Quote:

I must say it actually looked good

If I didn't recognize the posters of these comments to be regulars on this board, I'd think that they were astroturfers, using pretty much the same words. (Not meaning any slurs on those of us who think alike and not criticizing the commenters' opinions.) Reminds me of the commenters/reviewers on MacUpdate who are all one person (the developer's brother) commenting under different logins, extolling the virtues of the app, all reading the same.

Of course the quotes are reduced to a few words and probably taken out of context.
  • Reply 126 of 177
    Quote:

Not the inclusion of an emoticon smily sticking his tongue out .

Ahhh, NOW I get it. You see, I am a bit slow on the uptake today. Sorry 'bout that!
  • Reply 127 of 177
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

actually, this has cause me to think about this a bit more critically. I guess touch typing would work better in the iPad if it would allow you to lightly rest most of your fingers on the on-screen keyboard region without sending an input event when you lift up your fingers to push down an a desired virtual key. Maybe they can try to use the accelerometer in-conjunction with the touch screen as a possible solution like they do to recognize desired attenuation in Garageband for the iPad.
  • Reply 128 of 177
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Didn't Microsoft just go all ape shit over Ballmer using the name Windows 8 just a week ago? Now they release a demo of Windows 8. Man they don't know whether they are coming or going.
  • Reply 129 of 177
    What I envision my ideal notebook to be is something I use for productivity when I am at my office desk and when it's time to relax, I just pull off the LCD screen and use touch technology as I lazily lounge on my couch. This is what is preventing me from purchasing a tablet in its current form - be it an iPad2 or an Asus Eeepad Transformer. Unless there is something coming out that would allow me to do this in 2-years time, it looks like Windows 8 is the only viable option for me.
  • Reply 130 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kongqueror View Post

What I envision my ideal notebook to be is something I use for productivity when I am at my office desk and when it's time to relax, I just pull off the LCD screen and use touch technology as I lazily lounge on my couch. This is what is preventing me from purchasing a tablet in its current form - be it an iPad2 or an Asus Eeepad Transformer. Unless there is something coming out that would allow me to do this in 2-years time, it looks like Windows 8 is the only viable option for me.

I think you the user MS is banking on. My question is good of an experience can Windows 8 yield as tablet coming from a desktop/x86 foundation? Even with the new Ivy Bridge CPUs will this be sufficiently low power enough to give you all day use? What size does a tablet begin too big to cart around? People already complain about the 9.7" iPad and most 'PC' displays are 13" or larger for notebooks which desktops being even larger.

It's one thing to think to think different, which I believe MS is doing in spades these days, but it's another to think clearly and accurately. I think W8 on tablets is still a big gamble.
  • Reply 131 of 177
    wths54wths54 Posts: 2member
    The tile interface looks good and looks very fluid and very well suited for touch. My major gripe is the desktop and laptop thing. They say that this interface will also run on normal computers with a mouse and a keyboard. It looks interesting but for a normal computer it is downright scary.

I got scared when they showed Office in the demo. IE10 looked pretty awesome and the multitasking looks like something that should have been on tablets since day 1.

In about a year, we will be seeing the new Windows shell. I don't believe they're that stupid to leave the 2nd interface in the state it is in. Anyways, we'll see if I will be getting an iPad 3 or a W8 tablet.
  • Reply 132 of 177
    n8nncn8nnc Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Microsoft's idea of a "better user experience" is to add more animations. At least, that is how they process what Apple is doing.

I think there's a typo in your post:

Microsoft's idea is a "bitter user experience"
  • Reply 133 of 177
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:

Instead, the trend is to store user files of type XYZ in a database which which is designed to manage and quickly index and search for files of type XYZ using metadata, i.e. photos are in a photo library, music in a music library, apps in an app library, and books in a book library. Where the photo library is relative to the music library is of no importance to the user.?

sounds like how win 7 can be set up currently
  • Reply 134 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I am not an engineer, but is it not true that even an Atom IA64 struggles with W7? So, the SoCs now can handle 'full access' on W8? I am waiting to be impressed!

No, it is not true that even an atom struggles with w7
  • Reply 135 of 177
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

No, it is not true that even an atom struggles with w7

Not with Windows 7 Starter Edition, you mean.
  • Reply 136 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Not with Windows 7 Starter Edition, you mean.

Dunno, never used the starter addition. My hp mini runs perfectly well with Win 7 home. For sure, it could be faster, but most of hte issues are related to the dog slow hdd in it, rather than the processor (plus access through an 802.11g network). There are points that I get annoyed with my macbook doing things slower than the atom based machine - whcih is likely due to the way osx handles the software, and the dog slow hdd that apple put in there...
  • Reply 137 of 177
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Didn't Microsoft just go all ape shit over Ballmer using the name Windows 8 just a week ago? Now they release a demo of Windows 8. Man they don't know whether they are coming or going.

The first time Ballmer used it, they were coming. Prematurely
  • Reply 138 of 177
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

List of quotes posted by Flaneur:

If I didn't recognize the posters of these comments to be regulars on this board, I'd think that they were astroturfers, using pretty much the same words. (Not meaning any slurs on those of us who think alike and not criticizing the commenters' opinions.) Reminds me of the commenters/reviewers on MacUpdate who are all one person (the developer's brother) commenting under different logins, extolling the virtues of the app, all reading the same.

Of course the quotes are reduced to a few words and probably taken out of context.

It's true I unfairly snipped out the quotes here, and from some people I really respect, but the point is that Microsoft is slipping in some truly awful taste (still) with their new snazzy tile metaphor.

Remember starting in the early sixties when everything in the kitchen had to be avocado or harvest gold? Horrible. That's maybe where these "designers" formed their color habits.

It has to stop. These colors are deeply depressing, and it's alarming that they and seemingly everyone else fails to see it. I bet Jobs and company are howling.

Microsoft has dragged down the world's spirit with their visual littering long enough. They should hire Martha Stewart or somebody. Somebody with taste.
  • Reply 139 of 177
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    I'm lovin the innovation here. Lion looks stagnant in comparison. :/
  • Reply 140 of 177
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    "Sales of PCs have yet to rebound to levels prior to the release of Vista"

Flat out wrong. Last year 348 million PC were sold, which is up from the year before and the higest ever.

Of course DED wrote this so the lies should be expected.