Microsoft rumored to announce subscription TV service as Apple's iCloud looms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    cy_starkmancy_starkman Posts: 653member
    Ping? If I had to guess, it was a last minute thing using the Facebook integration code that fell apart at the deal table.

On topic... Anyone else wonder about these "tense", "continuing" negotiations that allegedly happen. Apple according to new bites has been locked in negotiations with the labels for months. Now MS is doing 11th hour deals.

I accept they might take time but the portrayal suggests there are these people in round the clock continual haggling. Are there multiple teams? Do they have a limit list they can offer? Are they really meeting all weekend?

Surely due to established relationships it would be a call/email with a potential contract, some banter, legal analysis and a proposed edit in a week; but more banter and legal eyes then a retort. Wouldn't call it intense, more a once a week or day.

Seriously these people aren't sitting at a table for days at a time debating dot points locked in for death or signature.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    dimwitdimwit Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bk212 View Post

At last years E3, Microsoft launched the fastest-selling consumer device in history which is Guinness record holder.

Last year, Apple launched Ping.

So, I wouldn't be too overconfident, Apple fans.

Besides, iCloud is probably just a rip off of Spotify, Amazon and Google services.

Quote:

So Apple should not have released a smartphone because Rokr and Newton failed?

Microsoft has 35 million active Xbox Live users on broadband. That's more than Comcast subscribers. You never know, it could work.

It's not often that you see someone argue both sides of an issue in consecutive posts...

Well done Microsoft shill.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ... even the name is short and catchy

"The service, which will reportedly be named Xbox LIVE Diamond, will combine Microsoft's mediaroom IPTV services with Xbox LIVE. "

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Oh goody, another MajorCrap "me too" product. Apple HAS something so, MC has to SAY they're GONNA have something. Me too, look at me, look at me, don't look at them, ours will be better. I am so underwhelmed.

My exact sentiments. At some point you'd think they'd actually get embarrassed with such lame and obvious tactics.

As more and more PC users buy iPads saying they don't really need a full computer as it does everything they need and more ... Microsoft have to grasp at every straw they can and XBox does have numbers out there, so grasp they will. What they fail to see is how this is looking backwards not forwards but then again looking forward requires innovation. A word yet to be understood in the history of Microsoft, a company basically founded on Apple's first Mac OS (yes I know the history of DOS yada yada yada)..
  • Reply 24 of 92
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

Unless it includes live sporting events there is no reason to have TV.

This is a ridiculous thing to say. Most studies show that somewhere around 50-55% of any given population doesn't care a fig about sports and even among those that enjoy it, it's not always the centre of their world.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    The wrath of the cable monopolies draws nigh.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

At last years E3, Microsoft launched the fastest-selling consumer device in history which is Guinness record holder.

Even a Blind hog will ocassionally find an acorn.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Mobileme a failure? Only according to the press and early adopters who didn't stick with it. I"m a very happy mobileme user, the service is amazing, and the very best value for an all-in-one solution available. It's a brilliant set of web and sync services and it's incredibly inexpensive.

100% agree. I have had a family membership since the very first iteration and simply cannot imagine how life would have been without it. It is so much more than the moaners realize, not just great e-mail and all the obvious services but the syncing is worth the price alone. Every time I have got a new Mac or set up a new partition for as long as I can remember (I can hardly remember life before MM lol) and can log in and pull down all my data and be up and running in seconds with all keychain data, Safari bookmarks, mail accounts etc. The fact I can do this anywhere on planet earth with an internet connection too, no back ups with me. I once had to borrow a MacBook when in the UK when I was without one and it took me no time to set up a partition and have my full working account. I for one say Thank you Apple for MobileMe! May the next iteration go where we haven't gone before
  • Reply 28 of 92
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

So, Apple and MS have add-on boxes that are internet connected. But with TV's coming out with internet built-in, and software built-in with connections to Hulu and Amazon and Google, and will run apps, having an add-on box will not be good enough. Apple with have to build their own TV to include AppleTV inside with Content and Apps.

Input devices and technologies change far faster than do monitor technologies. Unless TV manufacturers start making sets with plug-in, replaceable modules, external inputs will survive just fine.

You going to replace your whole 50" monitor every time there's a speed bump on your CPU?
  • Reply 29 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ohhhh..... Dueling Keynotes...

Boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom... boom...

De-vel-o-pers-De-vel-o-pers-De...

• Reply 30 of 92
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They may have to rebrand it because of that.

Hey, that's a good idea - I wonder what name they could be using? Perhaps we can see in the banners starting to go up for next weeks WWDC? That would probably be a good idea!
  • Reply 31 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Hey, that's a good idea - I wonder what name they could be using? Perhaps we can see in the banners starting to go up for next weeks WWDC? That would probably be a good idea!

Snarky?
  • Reply 32 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Last year, Apple launched Ping.

So, I wouldn't be too overconfident, Apple fans.

Besides, iCloud is probably just a rip off of Spotify, Amazon and Google services.

So we're supposed to be impressed that Microsoft has had one big hit in the past decade compared to about 5 major ones for Apple?

Don't worry, it wouldn't be hard to come up with several Microsoft products that make Ping look like a runaway success.

All one has to do is look at the relative position of the companies in 1995 and today and see who has been doing a better job overall.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a ridiculous thing to say. Most studies show that somewhere around 50-55% of any given population doesn't care a fig about sports and even among those that enjoy it, it's not always the centre of their world.

Spoken like a true Brit! Haha

Puh-leeeez! Sports dominate the core population of the demographics this device would be marketed to, 18-40 yr old men. It's always said that ESPN is the one provider that could easily survive if thy went on their own a-la-carte. The cable companies pay them more than any other single channel for that reason... And ESPN is now Disney's most important branch (read the new ESPN book that came out last week).

*Edit*

Obviously, all local channels, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, for the NFL and college football would be just as important for the success of such a product/service
  • Reply 34 of 92
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

So, Apple and MS have add-on boxes that are internet connected. But with TV's coming out with internet built-in, and software built-in with connections to Hulu and Amazon and Google, and will run apps, having an add-on box will not be good enough. Apple with have to build their own TV to include AppleTV inside with Content and Apps.

True, and not just because of the hassle of having an external box. The bigger issue is the poor and inconsistent user experience across different devices, remotes and services and the infuriating lag when switching between video sources.

Realistically speaking, though, the current selection of TVs with built-in internet is about as appealing as the selection of digital music players before the first iPod came out. The user experience and software quality overall are abysmal. I have a new 55" Sony with built-in internet features and it's a pathetic joke. I have a friend who jumped on the Sony/GoogleTV bandwagon months ago and I think he uses the internet feature maybe once a month because it's so clumsy and awkward.

As history repeats itself, it seems we'll have to wait for Apple to fix this problem, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a "real" Apple TV emerge in the next year or two. Naturally, after Apple shows the world the right way to do this, everyone else will come out with copycat products claiming that the similarity in designs is simply because they're all rooted in "common sense".
  • Reply 35 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

As history repeats itself, it seems we'll have to wait for Apple to fix this problem, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a "real" Apple TV emerge in the next year or two.

There's no money in selling $5,000 TVs. There's nothing wrong with buying a TV from people who've been selling them forever, completely ignoring every single special port on the back except power and HDMI, and plugging in an A5 Apple TV with applications (channels).
  • Reply 36 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

As history repeats itself, it seems we'll have to wait for Apple to fix this problem, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a "real" Apple TV emerge in the next year or two. Naturally, after Apple shows the world the right way to do this, everyone else will come out with copycat products claiming that the similarity in designs is simply because they're all rooted in "common sense".

I'd be shocked to see an Apple television. It's a mature market with several strong players and relatively low margins (by Apple standards).

I COULD see Apple licensing the internals of the Apple TV to television manufacturers.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

All one has to do is look at the relative position of the companies in 1995 and today and see who has been doing a better job overall.

Well out of the 64 quarter results Microsoft posted higher profits than Apple in 63 of them. Is that what you meant?
  • Reply 38 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd be shocked to see an Apple television. It's a mature market with several strong players and relatively low margins (by Apple standards).

I COULD see Apple licensing the internals of the Apple TV to television manufacturers.

After dealing with my Mom yesterday in just trying to switch the video inout on the TV to the AppleTV I really hope Apple can come to market with a really simple TV option. Hell, even the Apple TV between the cable/sat and DVD/BR with the TV set to 1 video input for its entire life would be great. But I just don't see it happening in any way, except in the capacity you mention, which still is a historical no go.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Here's what we want (2 adults & 3 kids).

In our household each member has an iPad -- and we can separately or jointly:

-- play a game

-- read a book

-- watch a movie

-- surf the web

-- study, do homework, etc.

-- create documents, drawings, take notes, photos, movies, presentations...

Why can't we watch live TV separately or jointly?

We have ATT-UVerse -- replaced Comcast about a year ago.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For its part, Apple is said to be in the midst of negotiations with major Hollywood film and TV studios to allow customers to store content on Apple's servers via the iCloud service.

As I understand it, the deals are not about storage, but about letting folks stream purchases of tv shows and movies that iTunes already has in the system along with more rentals and perhaps a half price streaming only option similar to the LaLa.com ten cent option