Microsoft rumored to announce subscription TV service as Apple's iCloud looms

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Semi OT: When the PS3 network went down it took my Netflix with it. I can't log in to watch so that hastened my decision to buy the Apple TV 2. OH MY GOD! Netflix on Apple TV rocks. The UI is the same as ATV. Add to that the sports packages, and if the NFL and NCAA jump in for football I'm so there.

I could give a flying leap what MS does. Unless it is some major leap from ATV, no way I'll buy an XB just to watch. Oh, and FWIW, the PS3 was just a very expensive toy to play select games with. The other online features never appealed to me much.

Didn't MS make some type of an advance announcement before last year's WWDC? Shouldn't they be focusing on and announcing products that are ready to ship TODAY? Hasn't their marketing department figured out we're onto the "vaporware" trail? This is how Apple broke that lame cycle. Announce only when you're ready and make sure the product will kick serious ass.

Thanks for the positive comments about AppleTV...been thinking about getting one. When PSN went down, I didn't care because I already gave up on it. Sony had been irking me with the constant barrage of firmware updates for the PS3, and version 3.1 broke the Blu-Ray drive (it works for 10 minutes before giving me a disc error and stop working until you power off the PS3 for a while), followed by versions that removed Linux boot option (yup, I installed YellowDog Linux). I tried to rent an HD movie on PSN, and it took 16 hours to download it. I've never had those kinds of problems downloading movie rentals from iTunes. Then I got a nice email from Sony telling me that my unencrypted personal information had been stolen. That was the last straw.

Sony is screwing itself...the future of online media distribution isn't going to belong to them unless they do a 180 and put customers first.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's a stupid argument.

Market cap is the market's determination of what a company is worth. It is based on the analysis of millions of investors and what they're willing to pay for a company.

In 1997, Microsoft's market cap was $130 B while Apple's was $4 B.

Today, Apple's market cap exceeds Microsoft's (both are around $230 B).

So Apple's market cap us up 5500% while Microsoft's is up about 80%. What kind of bizarre logic would lead you to conclude that Microsoft has done better than Apple over the past 15 years?

Revenue shows the same trend. Even profits (which is what you are arguing) shows a similar trend. Apple was losing money in 1995 while Microsoft was (IIRC) the most profitable company on the planet.

In 1997, Apple LOST $1 B on about $7 B in revenues. In the same year, Microsoft made about $4 B on $14 B in revenues.

In 2010, Apple made $14 B on $65 B in revenues. Microsoft made $19 B on $62 B in sales. That trend has continued so Apple is now making more than Microsoft.

Aside from the trends which tell an overwhelming story, there's the fact that the overwhelming majority of Microsoft's profits come from products that have been around for 20 years. They're doing nothing to get into significant new markets and are simply living on upgrades. Customers are apparently getting tired of that based on recent trends. (Xbox is the sole significant exception - and it only recently started to turn a profit). Apple, OTOH, has launched a number of new products which reshaped entire industries.

No rational person could possibly argue that Microsoft has been doing better than Apple for the past 15 years.

It was mean to be stupid, because its stupid to compare a 15 year period where 1 company is virtually bankrupt and the other is at the top of its game. The company close to bankruptcy can only either do better or go bankrupt.

Market cap is also an aweful way to determine how well a company has been doing. The value placed on shares is more to do with people gambling on what they think will happen with the share price rather than what the company actually does. MS has a share price that's flat, if you look at the fluctuations it goes up and down between the same two points for the last 10 years. It doesn't matter if MS doubled their profits as soon as the share price hit's that peak again, investors know to sell. Apple on the other hand is more like a game of chicken, people know that at some point it will stop rising and there's a risk it might crash. But it hasn't yet and you could make a lot of money playing the game.

If we talk about where each company makes it's profit. MS gets 40% from Windows, Apples gets 60% from iPhones. The real question is now Apple have their equivelant success story which has filled them up with billions in reserves, over the next 10 years can they bring out a new product lines better than MS did.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Mobileme a failure? Only according to the press and early adopters who didn't stick with it. I"m a very happy mobileme user, the service is amazing, and the very best value for an all-in-one solution available. It's a brilliant set of web and sync services and it's incredibly inexpensive.

Reading Press reviews of MobileMe will be always misleading. I also used to think like that and when I had goofed my contacts due lots of factory resets on my iphone I realized the power of something so simple. Whatever it's price it does deliver everything that it says ?
  • Reply 84 of 92
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Microsoft is a bunch of posers, always trying to steal Apple's thunder -- give me a break -- M$ should schedule its OWN dates for events, instead of trying to pre-empt Apples!
  • Reply 85 of 92
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Oh goody, another MajorCrap "me too" product. Apple HAS something so, MC has to SAY they're GONNA have something. Me too, look at me, look at me, don't look at them, ours will be better. I am so underwhelmed.

Ignorance is bliss.

Xbox Live allowed for movie rentals before Apple TV and is still the only true HD streaming content around (1080p not 720ish you get with Apple TV). Netflix was on Xbox and the PC before any other platform. To use Netflix on a Mac you need silverlight. The Xbox can be used as your cable box if you ATT Uverse.

The Xbox is everything Apple TV is and way more. If you are a gamer of T rated and above games, Xbox and Xbox Live is where it is happening.

Pull the Apple logo's off your eyes and see the real world. iCloud better be really dam good and cheap, because Amazon beat them to the punch for music and I owned .Mac/MobileMe for 3 years and it was/is the WORST cloud service I have ever used.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Microsoft is a bunch of posers, always trying to steal Apple's thunder -- give me a break -- M$ should schedule its OWN dates for events, instead of trying to pre-empt Apples!

Umm the dates for E3 were in place before WWDC.

FACT's suck when they dont back your bias
  • Reply 87 of 92
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Thanks for the positive comments about AppleTV...been thinking about getting one. When PSN went down, I didn't care because I already gave up on it. Sony had been irking me with the constant barrage of firmware updates for the PS3, and version 3.1 broke the Blu-Ray drive (it works for 10 minutes before giving me a disc error and stop working until you power off the PS3 for a while), followed by versions that removed Linux boot option (yup, I installed YellowDog Linux). I tried to rent an HD movie on PSN, and it took 16 hours to download it. I've never had those kinds of problems downloading movie rentals from iTunes. Then I got a nice email from Sony telling me that my unencrypted personal information had been stolen. That was the last straw.

Sony is screwing itself...the future of online media distribution isn't going to belong to them unless they do a 180 and put customers first.

apple

APPLE

APPLE TV is so sweet . clean lines

elegant display

and app store itunes syncing rock

photos and home movies and pod casts on my 42 "plasma TV is insane

Yet appl has only just started with APPLE TV

WAIT until apple turns its attention full force on APPLE TV

pow !!!

peace fellow space traveler

• Reply 88 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Ignorance is bliss.

Xbox Live allowed for movie rentals before Apple TV and is still the only true HD streaming content around (1080p not 720ish you get with Apple TV).

1) 720ish? IT can't be "ish" a video is or isn't 720p.

2) Speaking of ignorance, you make a silly mention of the number of vertical pixels but fail to mention the bit rate for that video.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Friend's wife dropped an iPhone 4 in a bar and smashed the screen. Replaced for free.

Ask around a bit before totally mischaracterizing Apple's level of customer service.

So anybody can drop an iPhone 4, smash the screen, and any Apple customer service rep will replace it for free? Wow, that's customer service.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    whcirwhcir Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Input devices and technologies change far faster than do monitor technologies. Unless TV manufacturers start making sets with plug-in, replaceable modules, external inputs will survive just fine.

You going to replace your whole 50" monitor every time there's a speed bump on your CPU?

Every time I read an article speculating on Apple making a TV, I think the same thing. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure they've asked themselves plenty of hard questions. And if any company can come into the current TV market, swamped with commodity-priced products, and convince people to pay higher prices, it's Apple. I'm just not convinced it's as simple as building the current Apple TV into an actual TV and adding its own App Store. Upgrading a $99 box every year or two is no problem, but a premium priced TV? I don't think so. They're going to have to really solve that problem before attempting to add an actual TV to their line-up. And solving that might not be the most profitable way to go. If you could get consumers to upgrade multiple, cheaper boxes often enough the margins could add up to more than making a single purchase of a TV every 3 to 5 years (or longer).
  • Reply 91 of 92
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Gears of War 3, new Halo title and release of Halo HD. Forza 4

New peter molyneux title

Handful of kinect specific titles

Some firs looks at 3rd party stuff including MW3 and assassins creed

IPTV subscription, unlikely.

Sounds about right for their 90 minute slot. Microsoft tend to use E3 to showcase this years releases. Sony and Nintendo normally show titles and products coming later this year and through the following year. Looks like this year will be no different.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's a stupid argument.

Market cap is the market's determination of what a company is worth. It is based on the analysis of millions of investors and what they're willing to pay for a company.

In 1997, Microsoft's market cap was $130 B while Apple's was $4 B.

Today, Apple's market cap exceeds Microsoft's (both are around $230 B).

So Apple's market cap us up 5500% while Microsoft's is up about 80%. What kind of bizarre logic would lead you to conclude that Microsoft has done better than Apple over the past 15 years?

Revenue shows the same trend. Even profits (which is what you are arguing) shows a similar trend. Apple was losing money in 1995 while Microsoft was (IIRC) the most profitable company on the planet.

In 1997, Apple LOST $1 B on about $7 B in revenues. In the same year, Microsoft made about $4 B on $14 B in revenues.

In 2010, Apple made $14 B on $65 B in revenues. Microsoft made $19 B on $62 B in sales. That trend has continued so Apple is now making more than Microsoft.

Aside from the trends which tell an overwhelming story, there's the fact that the overwhelming majority of Microsoft's profits come from products that have been around for 20 years. They're doing nothing to get into significant new markets and are simply living on upgrades. Customers are apparently getting tired of that based on recent trends. (Xbox is the sole significant exception - and it only recently started to turn a profit). Apple, OTOH, has launched a number of new products which reshaped entire industries.

No rational person could possibly argue that Microsoft has been doing better than Apple for the past 15 years.

Where do you get these market caps?

As of last Friday: http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL

AAPL Market Cap: $316.4 Billion

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:MSFT

MSFT Market Cap: $201.59 Billion

They're not even close.