Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    That is a real danger.
  • Reply 102 of 121
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>That is a real danger.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not going to deny that it's a dangerous situation, but it's the situation anyone is in when they put themselves in the 'protection' of the police and courts. Reason #1 why I no longer support the death penalty.

Just reread your post and change the context from nations & the U.N. to the United States when we (not you obviously) were 13 States and even more. The same "loose framework" ideas fit perfectly, and it took a nasty civil war to keep it all together in the end.
  • Reply 103 of 121
    Exactly the unfortunate conclusion I'd hoped you'd draw. Yes, you are right. It's why I think both courses look pretty bad, just for different reasons.
  • Reply 104 of 121

<strong>It's why I think both courses look pretty bad, just for different reasons.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Which courses are you referring to?
  • Reply 105 of 121
    too many.

War and peace, because both are temporary. More specifically, the sides presented here in this debate: UN diplomacy vs US action. In either way, I only see animosity and tension increasing, nations are playing the system from all sides. A lot of potential for disaster, and I think that Americans will be victims of their own success regardless. If we do not war, technology and politics will furnish new weapons onto the terrorist before time abates hatred. If we do go to war, we will accelerate hatred to move sooner and with greater intent.
  • Reply 106 of 121
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by Sondjata:

<strong>Again, the whole missinformation brigade begins. Most rab countries do not have or have even been trying to develop any so called WOMD. The ones who have been are the ones that :

a) we support in our so called COLD WAR.

or

b) Were the victims of our support of some regime during the COLD WAR.

Not to mention the legacy of Colonialism.

Learn some world history before making wild eyed "The arabs are coming" scare tactic statements</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. It's always blame the US. Always! Early often and without cause.
  • Reply 107 of 121

<strong>too many.

War and peace, because both are temporary. More specifically, the sides presented here in this debate: UN diplomacy vs US action. In either way, I only see animosity and tension increasing, nations are playing the system from all sides. A lot of potential for disaster, and I think that Americans will be victims of their own success regardless. If we do not war, technology and politics will furnish new weapons onto the terrorist before time abates hatred. If we do go to war, we will accelerate hatred to move sooner and with greater intent.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, Bush squandered some post 9/11 good will that would have helped accelerate the demise of the hatred you're speaking about.

But, in the long run, UN diplomacy will help on both fronts. The problem is, Bush's dealings with the UN haven't been very diplomatic. That hurts our good will across the board.

Bush wants to go to war because he wants that oil. When you're motives are suspect, then you have no right to complain when the shit hits the fan.
  • Reply 108 of 121
    I'm not as hopeful, for many reasons.
  • Reply 109 of 121

<strong>I'm not as hopeful, for many reasons. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't blame you. But I'll be less hopeful if my country becomes history's "greatest" imperialist nation.
  • Reply 110 of 121
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Geez, talk about some ignorant people.

Spend a few years reading up on history from LIBRARY books (not school textbooks - they've all been sanitized).

The rules are simple:

You lose a war, you HAVE to do what the victor wants.

Germany, Japan and Italy attacked the world. Germany lost. Japan lost. Italy lost. They all had to destroy their ways of government and adopt governments approved by their conquerers. Even if that meant an utter change.

Iraq attacked a neighbor. The UN (mostly the US) re-took Kuwait from Iraq and forced Iraq to agree to a multitude of cease-fire conditions. Iraq has not done so. Really, there was no further resolution required since the cease-fire. Failure to comply with the terms is prima facie reason to resume hostilities.
  • Reply 111 of 121
    [aiprosaddamantiusleftist] Yea but there's no proof! Bush is an idiot. [/aiprosaddamantiusleftist]
  • Reply 112 of 121
    [quote]Originally posted by jccbin:

<strong>

Really, there was no further resolution required since the cease-fire. Failure to comply with the terms is prima facie reason to resume hostilities.</strong><hr></blockquote>

"Geez, talk about some ignorant people."
  • Reply 113 of 121
    ha, scott is so funny....

pro sadam anti us...i just love how some people can't stand anybody to think different than them....pro sadam and anti US...so wrong of you...like me saying you and bush love and desire to kill iraqi children...

that's it..all right wing people are fanatics that love to kill arab children...you are bad people and god will judge you harshly....

g

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 114 of 121
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I was afraid people would get so spoiled by their ability to act like infants in Fireside Chat that they'd carry it over to AO.

The next person to personally degrade a member as Matsu and zMensch have done above gets banned.

If you need that puerile rush of adrenaline from "blowing someone away," go play a game. I expect a certain standard of civility here, and it's not being met.
  • Reply 115 of 121
    Now is there really reason for name calling? Can't we just talk about SJO's ass instead?
  • Reply 116 of 121
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    *sigh*

Don't say I didn't warn you.
  • Reply 117 of 121
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>ha, scott is so funny....

pro sadam anti us...i just love how some people can't stand anybody to think different than them....pro sadam and anti US...so wrong of you...like me saying you and bush love and desire to kill iraqi children...

that's it..all right wing people are fanatics that love to kill arab children...you are bad people and god will judge you harshly....

g</strong><hr></blockquote>

Chill out dude. I'm mostly joking. We all know that no one likes killing arab children more than Saddam.
  • Reply 118 of 121
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>*sigh*

Don't say I didn't warn you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey, not fair, our posts went in at exactly the same time, or just a second later, I would not nowingly offend your modness.

In any event, read my posts, I was more in support of SJO than either against or concerned with her ass. At least not more than I'm concerned with anyone's ass in general, other than, owing to certain psychoanalytical proclivities, my own, and what comes out of it, neither of which are pretty.

I must either learn to do sarcasm better or be dilligent about my use of smilies, sorry.

You don't have to ban this IP/account aswell, I travel all over during my work day and you'll be banning IP's left and right -- since I believe poor execution a far graver failing than poor ideals, I banish myself untill, or if, you feel wont to invite me back.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Au Revoir toute mes amis.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    I think you got what you deserve. What you did yesterday was out of line. As have been a lot of things. You aren't penitent or tragic. You don't need to learn sarcasim you need to grow up. Get real. If you want someone to blame look in a mirror.

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>