Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features

Comments

• Reply 121 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So you've never ever lent your phone to someone, or put it down for a sec?

Of course not.
  • Reply 122 of 226
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Looks to me like a piece of crap.

I'm asking about features to help me decide if I should switch to Android.

Yes, please. Switch to Android.
  • Reply 123 of 226
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course not.

So you went and did it, you fused your phone to your hand. How's that working out for you?
  • Reply 124 of 226
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The Syncing is much more comprehensive. Apple is behind on maps, but thats because the rely on google.

They may rely on Google, But Apple has the final say on what goes on the iOS version of Maps. If anything is behind it's android counterpart, it's the OEM's doing, not Google's as they push out updates for every platform regardless.
  • Reply 125 of 226
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Cupertino, start your photocopiers!

Yeah, those photocopiers haven't been used very much. Last time it was Xerox PARC. It's usually the other guys that are copying Apple, but feel free to gloat this time. You won't get many chances to

One more thing, can anyone remind us again what Android would have looked like in a world without the iPhone? Anyone?
  • Reply 126 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

One more thing, can anyone remind us again what Android would have looked like in a world without the iPhone? Anyone?

Sure:

• Reply 127 of 226
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Quote:

Yeah, those photocopiers haven't been used very much. Last time it was Xerox PARC. It's usually the other guys that are copying Apple, but feel free to gloat this time. You won't get many chances to

It matters not if Apple recognized that the best way to handle notifications (or any other basic feature) was to mimic Android. They took an idea from WebOS, and another from Microsoft too. Just as anyone else mimicking an Apple way of handling something, it's only acknowledging that that someone else has it pretty much correct. It would be pretty short-sighted and stubborn to be different "just because".

In this case simply an Apple tip of the cap to Android for notifications. If they thought there was a better way to do it they would have. No biggie. They've all taken ideas from each other and tried to do them better.
  • Reply 128 of 226
    loneratolonerato Posts: 54member
    [QUOTE=Wovel;1876320]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

And android copied palms and the Cydia system (you know the one written by the guys who now work for Apple..

Actually the notification system looks a lot like Lockinfo for the JB iPhones.

http://david.ashman.com/lockinfo/
  • Reply 129 of 226
    [QUOTE=LonerATO;1876797]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Actually the notification system looks a lot like Lockinfo for the JB iPhones.

http://david.ashman.com/lockinfo/

The whole "Android copied Apple" stuff was always fairly stupid IMO. Android was started back in 2003. Google bought it with plans to further develop it as a mobile phone OS in 2005. Eric Schmidt didn't join the Apple board until late in 2006. Yet Android came from Apple ideas.

At the worst Google might have seen how a mobile platform could be integrated during late 2006 and into 2007 and taken some cues from Apple. But Google had plans for Android development no matter what Apple was doing, and had them in progress well before any possible inside info they got from Schmidt on the board. No one here has any idea what direction they were going, or even if Apple borrowed any ideas for the iPhone from Google during Mr. Jobs walks/talks with Sergey and company.

With the possible exception of Samsung, nobody (the Chinese don't count) "stole" anything from anybody IMO. Each of the players has tried to better the others with each feature improvement. Google, HP, Microsoft, Apple, Asus, HTC . . . Each thinks they have a better way to do certain mobile features, even tho the original idea came from someone else.
  • Reply 130 of 226
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    [QUOTE=Gatorguy;1876839]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

The whole "Android copied Apple" stuff was always fairly stupid IMO. Android was started back in 2003. Google bought it with plans to further develop it as a mobile phone OS in 2005. Eric Schmidt didn't join the Apple board until late in 2006. Yet Android came from Apple ideas.

The original Android looked like a Blackberry. This is well documented. The modern Android is a clear copy of the multi-touch touchscreen keyboardless phone first created by Apple.

Android is a clear and obvious copy of the iPhone. WP7 isnt.
  • Reply 131 of 226
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    [QUOTE=Gatorguy;1876839]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

At the worst Google might have seen how a mobile platform could be integrated during late 2006 and into 2007 and taken some cues from Apple. But Google had plans for Android development no matter what Apple was doing, and had them in progress well before any possible inside info they got from Schmidt on the board. No one here has any idea what direction they were going, or even if Apple borrowed any ideas for the iPhone from Google during Mr. Jobs walks/talks with Sergey and company.

With the possible exception of Samsung, nobody (the Chinese don't count) "stole" anything from anybody IMO. Each of the players has tried to better the others with each feature improvement. Google, HP, Microsoft, Apple, Asus, HTC . . . Each thinks they have a better way to do certain mobile features, even tho the original idea came from someone else.

Sigh. I don't want to have to yet again go find those pictures of the RIM like Android prototype that was making the rounds before they got a look at the iPhone, please don't make me.

As usual (with these kinds of discussions, not you personally), this is a complete straw man argument. No one, that I know of, is claiming that Google made a phone because of the iPhone or that it was "copying" to simply have gotten into the handset business.

What does get said, because it's undeniably true, is that Google was chasing the RIM/WIndows model of smartphone, with a ton of little buttons and a small screen, until the iPhone was released, whereupon "Android" magically transformed into a big screen with multitouch. Just like every other smart phone abruptly did.

I just get so tired of the idea that Apple released the iPhone and then, just sort of coincidentally, everyone else got around to making the very iPhone like phones that they no doubt had intended to make all along.
  • Reply 132 of 226
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Here's what Android looked like before the iPhone:

But now Apple has copied Android's notifications, they're even! That totally makes up for Google slavishly copying every last element of the iPhone's user interface over a period of several years.
  • Reply 133 of 226
    [QUOTE=addabox;1876845]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Sigh. I don't want to have to yet again go find those pictures of the RIM like Android prototype that was making the rounds before they got a look at the iPhone, please don't make me.

As usual (with these kinds of discussions, not you personally), this is a complete straw man argument. No one, that I know of, is claiming that Google made a phone because of the iPhone or that it was "copying" to simply have gotten into the handset business.

What does get said, because it's undeniably true, is that Google was chasing the RIM/WIndows model of smartphone, with a ton of little buttons and a small screen, until the iPhone was released, whereupon "Android" magically transformed into a big screen with multitouch. Just like every other smart phone abruptly did.

I just get so tired of the idea that Apple released the iPhone and then, just sort of coincidentally, everyone else got around to making the very iPhone like phones that they no doubt had intended to make all along.

It wasn't just that their prototypes were chasing the Blackberry. The first Android phone, the G1 (released in late 2008), was very much in keeping with pre-iPhone smart phones.

It's use of touch was quite limited. Android then gained more and more features of the iPhone over the following 3 years. Many features, such as pinch to zoom, were kept back because Google didn't know if implementing them would infringe on Apple's IP.
  • Reply 134 of 226
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

And they didn't stop making phones like that. You can get many Android phones with potrait keyboards today. And that was never a publicly released device. Yet it had many of the features that you see in every Android up to today. It laid out the desktop concept, the app drawer, the notification blind, etc. Suggesting that Google 'copied' iOS flat out is extremely simplistic. Google did, however, certainly make Android far more touchscreen friendly after iOS came out. But the basic features of Android were laid out well before iOS....and some of those features are now being incorporated into iOS.

Quote:

But now Apple has copied Android's notifications, they're even! That totally makes up for Google slavishly copying every last element of the iPhone's user interface over a period of several years.

Not just the notifications for the taskbar. Lockscreen notifications from Samsung Touchwiz. Split Keyboard from Windows. Camera quick start from Windows Phone. My apps function from Android Market. Android intents with iCloud. iMessage from BBM.

None of that is to say that Apple is wrong. I'm glad to see they are finally incorporating this stuff into iOS. This is just part of the cycle of innovation. Heck, some of these changes could prompt me to get an iPhone if they get the hardware features I want and decide to support my network.
  • Reply 135 of 226
    [QUOTE=addabox;1876845]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Does it really matter that one of the original ideas for a "Google phone" (pre-iPhone) resembled a Blackberry more than an iPhone? All it shows is that Google was smart enough to realize Apple's idea was an improvement over anything RIM had done with hardware. Blackberry's design was destined for the dustbin and Google could see that.

But they never intended to manufacture phones to compete with Apple in the first place. So what a mock-up looked like that was intended to shop to potential partners doesn't really matter at the end of the day does it? It wasn't "magic" but probably recognition that Apple had a great idea. Knowing that, would it have been smart of Google to carry on with a RIM-flavored design that they had determined had no future? Obviously not.
  • Reply 136 of 226
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's so much stuff that I have a feeling this was Jobs last time as ring master and his greatest Show on Earth.

Elvis has left the building .

so smile for us one last time because it will never be again as great as we had it .

never.

• Reply 137 of 226
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Yes, it is. And now it looks like this:

which you're trying to tell me that its a copy of this:

You're telling me that google tried to copy apple's grid launcher and ended up with multiple desktops and widgets. Right. Sorry, but android has more in common with symbian than it does with iOS.

Quote:

The only element that android has that's similar to iOS is the app drawer. Every other aspect of the OS, from the desktop to the notifications (until iOS 5) to the way menus and settings are handled are quite different from iOS.

edit: god that picture was bigger than intended
  • Reply 138 of 226
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

WTF! Why are there still no mailbox specific signatures in iOS 5?

Agreed. This has been my #1 feature request since 2007.
  • Reply 139 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

You're telling me that google tried to copy apple's grid launcher and ended up with multiple desktops and widgets. Right. Sorry, but android has more in common with symbian than it does with iOS.

No, that's not what I'm telling you. I'm telling you Apple created a new touchscreen UI for phones and other devices virtually from scratch and Google copied all of it. Inertial scrolling, swipe, pinch to zoom, the way touch-based UI widgets work, the on-screen keyboard, copy and paste, the way the browser works, many of the basic design elements of apps, and so on. Sure, there's a few things that are different. Some of them come from the fact that Android was originally going after the Blackberry and had a menu and icon based UI more suited to a track ball. Some stuff is original. But the bulk of it, as it has developed over the last 3 years, was directly copied from the iPhone.
  • Reply 140 of 226
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Good to see that Apple continues to take ideas and feature design directly from the jailbreak community. At least someone knows what people want and how to get it to them quickly and well done. Here's to Apple continuing to copy jailbreak devs for future iOS features!