Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 226
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Back to iOS 5:

iOS 5 enables 1080p video to be synced to the iPad 2. What about the original iPad? What about outputting 1080p on the Apple TV under the 4.4 beta?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

If it bothers you that much, have at me with the ignore list.

Yes, that's the solution to everyone's problems; ignore all standpoints that don't jive with your own...
  • Reply 222 of 226
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iOS 5 enables 1080p video to be synced to the iPad 2. What about the original iPad?

I doubt the CPU in the original iPad can handle it.

Quote:

What about outputting 1080p on the Apple TV under the 4.4 beta?

Since 1080p files are so large, I doubt they are going to be in a hurry any time soon.

Quote:

Yes, that's the solution to everyone's problems; ignore all standpoints that don't jive with your own...

It's the only practical solution that's going to work in this situation. Part of real solutions are knowing what what you can control and what you can't and being realistic about it.
  • Reply 223 of 226
    Quote:

I doubt the CPU in the original iPad can handle it.

I guess I don't understand the discrepancy in being able to convert 1080 to 720 on the fly and not being able to output 1080 outright...

Quote:

Since 1080p files are so large, I doubt they are going to be in a hurry any time soon.

4GB. Not too large. Apple TV could buffer two of them.
  • Reply 224 of 226
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess I don't understand the discrepancy in being able to convert 1080 to 720 on the fly and not being able to output 1080 outright...

Well I think it's safe to say it definitely doesn't have the oomph to transcode, and even if you did it I doubt it has the oomph to display it.

I've had trouble with 720p video when the codec's are too demanding....

Quote:

4GB. Not too large. Apple TV could buffer two of them.

Yes, but how do you get content to the computer feeding the AppleTV - that's what I was alluding to. It's not yet practical.
  • Reply 225 of 226
    Quote:

Well I think it's safe to say it definitely doesn't have the oomph to transcode

It does that NOW. That's what I'm saying. I would think the transcoding takes more processing power than just taking it in and putting it out.

Quote:

Yes, but how do you get content to the computer feeding the AppleTV - that's what I was alluding to. It's not yet practical.

iTunes Store. Apple's 720p files are crap quality and 4GB already. They're way too big.
  • Reply 226 of 226
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    eWeekNews has a nice slide presentation showing how Apple is eating Android for lunch. . .

so far.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...istics-763758/