Apple's iCloud will automatically store, sync data for free

1234568»

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdk View Post


    I am little worried what will happen to iweb when the transition to icloud is completed next July?



    anyone has some info?



    I have tried to contact apple as well, but they referred me to to future announcements in Autumn.



    Uh, that's your answer then. If Apple isn't telling people, we can't possibly know.
  • Reply 142 of 155
    ixplorerixplorer Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post


    I want to know how this is going to impact my data plan.



    iCloud may be free for now, but this is going to be transferring a LOT of data over 3G.

    So it looks like "free" from Apple means me paying $10-$25 more a month with AT&T on a new data plan or overages.



    UPDATE: looks like iCloud is WiFi only for now. (still watching keynote...)



    100% agree there... in New Zealand we pay through the nose for data... and our plans are complete SHITE... half the time its as if we actually have a dialup service.



    I see iCloud as being a great way for Apple to clean apps, music and get a massive data mining exercise done on pirated music and Apps... as per usual stay behind the wave and avoid the usual early adopter coronary failure that will no doubt occur... a pity Steve didn't say how long Cloud would be free for. I put my money on 12 months.



    As for the music sync thing being $24.99 a month... why not just sync the first month... which updates all your music to hires... and then turn off the service... makes no sense to me to do it for any longer.



    Wonder when jailbreaking the iCloud will kick in.



    g
  • Reply 143 of 155
    ixplorerixplorer Posts: 12member
    I spoke to Steve Job's dad last night and he said if you use iWeb, your insane.
  • Reply 144 of 155
    ixplorerixplorer Posts: 12member
    I would suggest it will be a catastrophe... syncing retro systems to latest can't possibly work with any efficiency ... i hope they are employing a large qty of cust services hunnies. What if you have a jailbroken iphone, and 9 other legit mac systems... lol... oh dear.
  • Reply 145 of 155
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ixplorer View Post


    As for the music sync thing being $24.99 a month... why not just sync the first month... which updates all your music to hires... and then turn off the service... makes no sense to me to do it for any longer.



    Wonder when jailbreaking the iCloud will kick in.



    g



    It's supposed to be $24.99 per year, not per month.
  • Reply 146 of 155
    ixplorerixplorer Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post


    It's supposed to be $24.99 per year, not per month.



    Well spotted ... cheers
  • Reply 147 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ixplorer View Post


    I spoke to Steve Job's dad last night and he said if you use iWeb, your insane.



    He's dead. Very tasteful.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ixplorer View Post


    What if you have a jailbroken iphone, and 9 other legit mac systems... lol... oh dear.



    You imply they're not going to sync to jailbroken devices. That's nonsense.
  • Reply 148 of 155
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 896member
    I have a first gen. iPod touch, and I can't use iCloud with it. Why? Because Apple is going greedy. There is no special reason that my iPod touch can't be upgraded to iOS5 other than planned obsolescence. Apple is making you buy a new "device" every 3- 4 years, for no other reason than the profit motive. I don't want to contribute to the landfills by buying into a wasteful, narrow minded business model.



    This business model is a slap in the face to customers.
  • Reply 149 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post


    I have a first gen. iPod touch, and I can't use iCloud with it. Why? Because Apple is going greedy. There is no special reason that my iPod touch can't be upgraded to iOS5 other than planned obsolescence. Apple is making you buy a new "device" every 3- 4 years, for no other reason than the profit motive. I don't want to contribute to the landfills by buying into a wasteful, narrow minded business model.



    This business model is a slap in the face to customers.



    You should totally ban everything that has to do with Apple.
  • Reply 150 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    He's dead. Very tasteful.



    You really need to get out more.



    You imply they're not going to sync to jailbroken devices. That's nonsense.



    They have never supported jailbroken and they never will. No biggy.
  • Reply 151 of 155
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post


    There is no special reason that my iPod touch can't be upgraded to iOS5 other than planned obsolescence.



    I run 4.2 on my first-gen, Day One 2007 iPhone.



    There's a legitimate reason Apple doesn't allow 4.x?much less 5.x?on these devices. You can't understand that.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ixplorer View Post


    They have never supported jailbroken and they never will. No biggy.



    iCloud sync has nothing to do with jailbreaking. I can sync to iTunes with my jailbroken/unlocked iDevices. People synced to MobileMe with their jailbroken/unlocked iDevices. Apple cares WAY more about marketshare than about not supporting jailbreakers. It's nonsense to think that iCloud won't work when it has already been proven to.
  • Reply 152 of 155
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derev View Post


    I contacted MobileMe chat Support. Here is the transcript.



    Chat Support



    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 08:50 PM

    Duration: 23 minutes 3 seconds



    Tamara:

    Hello, my name is Tamara. Welcome to MobileMe chat support. Please give me a moment to look over your information.



    Tamara:

    Hello Stephen. I see that you're wanting to know what will happen with your iDisk, iWeb, and Gallery when iCloud is released, correct?



    Stephen:

    Yes



    Tamara:

    I can definitely understand how important it is to have more information regarding your gallery, iDisk, and iWeb sites, and I'd be glad to do everything I can to get this resolved for you today. Is this the first time that you've contacted us regarding this issue?



    Stephen:

    Come on, it was all just announced yesterday!



    Stephen:

    With virtually no details about this aspect of .mac/mobileme.



    Tamara:

    Thanks.



    Tamara:

    There has not been a lot of information released regarding the iCloud at this time. We do know that it will include a new feature called Photo Stream, however there has not been any information provided regarding iWeb with being used with the iCloud. For more information about the iCloud, please visit www.apple.com/icloud .



    Stephen:

    I did, there is nothing there.



    Stephen:

    Although photostream has a 30 day limit?



    Tamara:

    Yes, they will appear within Photo Stream for 30 days, however that allows you to be able to access them and save them to another location for future use.



    Stephen:

    What about those of us that want to share it with others for more than 30 days?



    Tamara:

    At this time, we have not been provided with that information. Within the coming months, there should be more information regarding iCloud and how the transition will take effect.



    Stephen:

    That is really unacceptable from a customer's point of view. "Hi we're changing everything you've been paying for over the last several years, but we don't have any information or details regarding the main reasons you signed up for the service. Why don't you go look at this webpage that doesn't help you and just go away?"



    Tamara:

    Stephen, I apologize that you feel that way. I wish there was more information available regarding iCloud, however I have provided you with all the information that we currently have available. I totally understand how frustrating this must be to be unsure if the features that you enjoy will be included or not.



    Tamara:

    If you would like for your voice to be heard about this issue or other changes that may improve MobileMe, please click on the link below and provide your feedback. Many of the most recent improvements to MobileMe have been a direct result of our customers' valued feedback. http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html



    Stephen:

    Not your fault personally-oh and the feedback link goes to the circular file. thanx anyway....Bye



    Tamara:

    I assure you that it doesn't. A lot of updates that were submitted through the feedback link have been implemented.



    Tamara:

    Stephen, although I have been unable to provide you with a resolution to your issue at this time, may I ask if you were satisfied with the level of service that I have provided to you today?



    Stephen:

    No, but only because your superiors are dropping the ball allowing you to provide NO service other than lip.



    Thank you again for contacting Apple Support. We hope this has addressed your needs. If you need additional assistance with this topic, simply visit your case information page and choose the option to chat with us again.

    Sincerely,

    Apple Support









    Look, I've been known to go off on some customer service folks, including several at Apple. But I think you were really unfair with this woman. The product was just announced and is not even available for three months. You expect them to have all the info the NEXT DAY? Come on. You're complaining about a 30 day limit for a third party service that's integrated? Are you going to complain about the Facebook privacy policy next?
  • Reply 153 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    Look, I've been known to go off on some customer service folks, including several at Apple. But I think you were really unfair with this woman. The product was just announced and is not even available for three months. You expect them to have all the info the NEXT DAY? Come on. You're complaining about a 30 day limit for a third party service that's integrated? Are you going to complain about the Facebook privacy policy next?



    What a dick! Besides the fact Apple has over a year to work out what will happen to MobileMe services and to get that information to consumers he belittled this poor CSR rep because she was only given the same information as him from the presentation.
  • Reply 154 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derev View Post


    I contacted MobileMe chat Support. Here is the transcript.



    Chat Support



    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 08:50 PM

    Duration: 23 minutes 3 seconds



    Tamara:

    Hello, my name is Tamara. Welcome to MobileMe chat support. Please give me a moment to look over your information.



    Tamara:

    Hello Stephen. I see that you're wanting to know what will happen with your iDisk, iWeb, and Gallery when iCloud is released, correct?



    Stephen:

    Yes



    Tamara:

    I can definitely understand how important it is to have more information regarding your gallery, iDisk, and iWeb sites, and I'd be glad to do everything I can to get this resolved for you today. Is this the first time that you've contacted us regarding this issue?



    Stephen:

    Come on, it was all just announced yesterday!



    Stephen:

    With virtually no details about this aspect of .mac/mobileme.



    Tamara:

    Thanks.



    Tamara:

    There has not been a lot of information released regarding the iCloud at this time. We do know that it will include a new feature called Photo Stream, however there has not been any information provided regarding iWeb with being used with the iCloud. For more information about the iCloud, please visit www.apple.com/icloud .



    Stephen:

    I did, there is nothing there.



    Stephen:

    Although photostream has a 30 day limit?



    Tamara:

    Yes, they will appear within Photo Stream for 30 days, however that allows you to be able to access them and save them to another location for future use.



    Stephen:

    What about those of us that want to share it with others for more than 30 days?



    Tamara:

    At this time, we have not been provided with that information. Within the coming months, there should be more information regarding iCloud and how the transition will take effect.



    Stephen:

    That is really unacceptable from a customer's point of view. "Hi we're changing everything you've been paying for over the last several years, but we don't have any information or details regarding the main reasons you signed up for the service. Why don't you go look at this webpage that doesn't help you and just go away?"



    Tamara:

    Stephen, I apologize that you feel that way. I wish there was more information available regarding iCloud, however I have provided you with all the information that we currently have available. I totally understand how frustrating this must be to be unsure if the features that you enjoy will be included or not.



    Tamara:

    If you would like for your voice to be heard about this issue or other changes that may improve MobileMe, please click on the link below and provide your feedback. Many of the most recent improvements to MobileMe have been a direct result of our customers' valued feedback. http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html



    Stephen:

    Not your fault personally-oh and the feedback link goes to the circular file. thanx anyway....Bye



    Tamara:

    I assure you that it doesn't. A lot of updates that were submitted through the feedback link have been implemented.



    Tamara:

    Stephen, although I have been unable to provide you with a resolution to your issue at this time, may I ask if you were satisfied with the level of service that I have provided to you today?



    Stephen:

    No, but only because your superiors are dropping the ball allowing you to provide NO service other than lip.



    Thank you again for contacting Apple Support. We hope this has addressed your needs. If you need additional assistance with this topic, simply visit your case information page and choose the option to chat with us again.

    Sincerely,

    Apple Support







    The phrase "you are a dick" comes to mind. Referring to you, of course. No information has been given about iCloud and the representative even told you that she did not have any information, and you still blow a gasket at her? Here are some pills, they make you chill, TAKE THEM
  • Reply 155 of 155
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    What a dick! Besides the fact Apple has over a year to work out what will happen to MobileMe services and to get that information to consumers he belittled this poor CSR rep because she was only given the same information as him from the presentation.



    Agreed. I also realized he was referring to Photo Stream from Apple, not the third-party site. Either way, it just seems like a REALLY pointed and specific question the day after a product is announced.
Sign In or Register to comment.