Existing MobileMe subscriptions extended, service ends June 2012

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
On the heels of the unveiling of the new iCloud service, Apple has indicated that current MobileMe subscribers will receive a free extension until June 30, 2012, at which point the service will be shuttered.

Apple has sent an email to current MobileMe subscribers notifying them of the extension "at no additional charge," iLounge reports. According to the note, MobileMe will "no longer be available" after June 30, 2012.

In recent months, the Cupertino, Calif., company had begun drawing down the $99 MobileMe product from online and brick-and-mortar stores. Resellers told AppleInsider in February that the MobileMe Single User and Family Pack products had been declared "End of Life" by Apple.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs candidly admitted on Monday that the MobileMe launch was not Apple's "finest hour." Last month, an "Inside Apple" report noted that a furious Jobs berated the MobileMe team after a shaky launch, allegedly disbanding most of the team and appointing a new executive to be in charge.

"You've tarnished Apple's reputation..." Jobs reportedly said. "You should hate each other for having let each other down."

Jobs took the wraps off the much-rumored iCloud on Monday during a keynote at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco. The free service, which will ship this fall alongside iOS 5, will store iTunes, App Store and iBook purchases, as well as provide backups of iOS devices independent of a computer.

Though Jobs took care to identify the iCloud service as a completely new product, it will also incorporate services from MobileMe, such as Contacts, Calendar and Mail, with a completely redesigned architecture. As such, Apple recommends that MobileMe users make the switch to iCloud and promises ?more details and instructions on how to make the move? this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    therobintherobin Posts: 11member
    I just got this email from Apple about MobileMe going away by next summer. My big question is what will happen after that with my me.com email address. I will start moving away from it if they are shutting down the email service also.
  • Reply 2 of 85
    joncojonco Posts: 25member
    That was my first reaction. I've had the same address since iTools.
  • Reply 3 of 85
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheRobin View Post

I just got this email from Apple about MobileMe going away by next summer. My big question is what will happen after that with my me.com email address. I will start moving away from it if they are shutting down the email service also.

It will move to iCloud. I want to know what happens to iWeb and iDisk?
  • Reply 4 of 85
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    my impression from the keynote was that not only would it not be shut down, but anyone with an iOS5 device or lion gets a free .me address.

the real question (at my house) is will the .mac accounts my kids used for messaging only still be in their names when they upgrade to iOS5.
  • Reply 5 of 85
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    i suspect iDisk is history, for good or ill. if you have documents in an app that supports icloud, then for good, they are still there but easier to manage. if they are other file types, they may go the way of the dodo...
  • Reply 6 of 85
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    I see now reason why existing @mac.com or @me.com addresses (which are one and the same) will simply redirect to the new @icloud.com service.

Frankly, I'm wondering what was so bad about MobileMe. I really had no issues with it, it worked quite well. Was the launch delayed? It seemed like a natural progression of iTools.
  • Reply 7 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

ME TOO!

I have a website with a huge podcast archive and use iWeb to submit to my domain.
  • Reply 8 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

I see now reason why existing @mac.com or @me.com addresses (which are one and the same) will simply redirect to the new @icloud.com service.

Frankly, I'm wondering what was so bad about MobileMe. I really had no issues with it, it worked quite well. Was the launch delayed? It seemed like a natural progression of iTools.

No complaints of past service. Not so enthusiastic of letting Apple manage my data. The sync prospect is super for keeping all devices in sync, but I have some skepticism about it becoming more difficult to backup and restore my own data. Apple lost my data accidentally. Sure hope they leave me a way to manage my own copies. IOS without a PC? No thanks. My trust does not run that deep.

Not to mention the process to jailbreak my device. Apple seems to now be taking over managing my files on a device where I have no control over it's file system. How am I supposed to jailbreak using cloud deployed deltas? Effective way for them to win the jailbreak war.

On the other hand, at this point jail breaking offers me little in the way of missing features. Your results may vary. In a real sense though I see little option once a bad iOS update, ala iOS4 on my old 3G, occurs. At least back then I had an old ipsw installer I could fudge to facilitate a downgrade.

I like cloud as a new feature but I hope it does not come with the loss of the tried and true manage it yourself option.
  • Reply 9 of 85
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Just a heads up to all for your movies, that apple left out, go with pex it's great and has a great iPad app.
  • Reply 10 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonco View Post

That was my first reaction. I've had the same address since iTools.

Just like iTools as a service offered the @mac.com email domain iCloud will let you use your @me.com email domain. I don't think @mac.com was mentioned by Jobs but I see no reason for Apple to discontinue that specific domain of the two.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

And Gallery publishing. I have several family members that prefer because it doesn't require people to have accounts all over the interwebs.
  • Reply 12 of 85
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Excellent, I come up for renewal in September so that's $A129 ($138.50) saved.

I still wish Apple would do something about the exchange rate, the Australian dollar has been higher than the US for quite some time now making iTunes purchases much higher.
  • Reply 13 of 85
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What happens to iWeb?
  • Reply 14 of 85
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Watch the Keynote and you will see! It will be a miles better service.

P.S. I've had MobileMe for ages and rather liked the contacts, email syncing.

Best
  • Reply 15 of 85
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Though Jobs took care to identify the iCloud service as a completely new product, it will also incorporate services from MobileMe, such as Contacts, Calendar and Mail, with a completely redesigned architecture. As such, Apple recommends that MobileMe users make the switch to iCloud and promises ?more details and instructions on how to make the move? this fall. ...

I wish they would actually give us some details now though.

They've frozen parts of the accounts, put everything in doubt and then just said "we'll let you know." I understand they have a lot on the boil but for those of us that have been members since day one it's a bit unnerving and more than a bit rude as well.
  • Reply 16 of 85
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

And Gallery publishing. I have several family members that prefer because it doesn't require people to have accounts all over the interwebs.

Yep...it looks to me like Facebook has won that battle. Most people could not be bothered by updating their own website.
  • Reply 17 of 85
    vigginviggin Posts: 7member
    The iCloud section on Apple.com says that you get 5 gb of space with your iCloud account, so maybe iWeb isn't as dead as people are thinking. In fact this could be a great way for Apple to really push iWeb...now that everyone with a Mac will have 5 free Gb of space.

As for galleries? Well since you'll have space on there for 30 days worth of photos, I can't imagine that...once again...they wouldn't let you use some of your 5 gb for photos older than 30 days.
  • Reply 18 of 85
    To answer,

Quote:

Important information for MobileMe members.

Dear MobileMe member,

We'd like to share some exciting news with you about iCloud — Apple’s upcoming cloud service, which stores your content and wirelessly pushes it to your devices. iCloud integrates seamlessly with your apps, so everything happens automatically. Available this fall, iCloud is free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users.

What does this mean for you as a MobileMe member?

When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your MobileMe subscription will be automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

It won't be hard to route your .Mac and MobileMe email addresses to iCloud I would think. Frankly speaking, @iCloud.com is a bit lame compare to @mac.com.

Shame, one year from now; people who have just renewed their subscription wouldn't feel like they're getting it for free. Mine was on the 2nd Jan this year so 6 months free extension but I would migrate soon after they make it live I would imagine.
  • Reply 19 of 85
    Apple's website says new icloud accounts get me.com email addresses so I would assume our mac.com addresses will still work fine.
  • Reply 20 of 85
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    I understand the redirect part regarding the email addresses, but I am not clear about the incoming and outgoing IMAP mail servers MobileMe provided. I paid extra for the ad free service and the convenience of IMAP. I hope they will be extended with iCloud. Because of my poor vision, having not to navigate through ads was and is important. I will get it figured out.