"Apple's iCloud will automatically store, sync data for free"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Yes, to get you hooked! But in about 2 years time, when you can't do without anymore, you will have to pay. Every year again. Pay for the privilege of accessing your own data...!



If you use iCloud – or any 'cloud' for that matter – you're selling your soul to the devil.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 30
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,748member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post


    Yes, to get you hooked! But in about 2 years time, when you can't do without anymore, you will have to pay. Every year again. Pay for the privilege of accessing your own data...!



    If you use iCloud ? or any 'cloud' for that matter ? you're selling your soul to the devil.



    1) you don't know that

    2) don't use it then

    3) you don't know that
  • Reply 2 of 30
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    1) you don't know that

    2) don't use it then

    3) you don't know that



    Non sequiturs are easy. And cheap. And non-productive.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,748member
    Funny, I was thinking the same about your post. Do you have any evidence, at all, to back up your claims? If not, my post was not only easy, it was entirely accurate.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post


    Non sequiturs are easy. And cheap. And non-productive.



    Particularly when the original post is itself completely nonsensical.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Particularly when the original post is itself completely nonsensical.



    Au contraire, mon frère. Better check out Ryan Nakashima.



    And while Nakashima focuses on sound tracks/iTunes and iCloud, cloud schemes obviously pertain to every single bit and byte currently on your HD. All your music, photos, videos. And eventually also all your other personal files, confidential correspondence, tax returns, love letters, and of course your porn collection! They're all just bits and bytes after all. YOUR bits and bytes, which Apple is manoevering to get behind THEIR gateway.



    So expect toll booths to get at your own data!
  • Reply 6 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Having what to do with anything? Not only does that not reenforce your original (wrong) point, but it has no relevance to iCloud's service as a whole.



    Your link has nothing to do with this. It doesn't even hint at the possibility that Apple will make iCloud paid.



    That second paragraph? Yes. So what? That's how it works. You put your data in other people's hands. You act as though we're forced to use iCloud.



    Again, you have no evidence for this. Apple said it isn't happening. Guess what's happening? What Apple said.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post


    Au contraire, mon frère. Better check out Ryan Nakashima.



    And while Nakashima focuses on sound tracks/iTunes and iCloud, cloud schemes obviously pertain to every single bit and byte currently on your HD. All your music, photos, videos. And eventually also all your other personal files, confidential correspondence, tax returns, love letters, and of course your porn collection! They're all just bits and bytes after all. YOUR bits and bytes, which Apple is manoevering to get behind THEIR gateway.



    So expect toll booths to get at your own data!



    Because my personal files, confidential correspondence, tax returns, love letters, and porn collection are all copyright encumbered material that I may well have pirated so the copyright owners are open to a plan that would at least partially monetize said material?



    Feel free to wax hysterical regarding possible nefarious schemes, but at least try to gather supporting material that supports.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Because my personal files, confidential correspondence, tax returns, love letters, and porn collection are all copyright encumbered material that I may well have pirated so the copyright owners are open to a plan that would at least partially monetize said material?



    And who do you think they're planning to let 'monetize' that scheme?



    Quote:

    Feel free to wax hysterical regarding possible nefarious schemes, but at least try to gather supporting material that supports.



    How about a brand spanking new 2 billion dollar data center in North Carolina that is going to be home to iCloud? Do you think Steve does that as a free gift, a present to His users?

    No my friend, that is one humongous money machine! Pure and simple.



    Wake up and smell the roses. We're getting fucked.



  • Reply 9 of 30
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post




    Wake up and smell the roses. We're getting fucked.




    You're already fucked.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post


    And who do you think they're planning to let 'monetize' that scheme?



    Um, the copyright holders?



    Quote:

    How about a brand spanking new 2 billion dollar data center in North Carolina that is going to be home to iCloud? Do you think Steve does that as a free gift, a present to His users?

    No my friend, that is one humongous money machine! Pure and simple.



    Wake up and smell the roses. We're getting fucked.



    You're not.... terribly concerned with making sense, it that it?



    Apple built a big data center to support user services that they reckon will make their platforms more desirable so they can sell more hardware and software. You appear to believe it's a de facto admission of a scheme to.... I'm not sure. Charge people for things? Sell user data to crime syndicates? Hold your stuff hostage?



    Really, could you tone down the insanity? It's giving me a headache.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post


    And who do you think they're planning to let 'monetize' that scheme?



    How about a brand spanking new 2 billion dollar data center in North Carolina that is going to be home to iCloud? Do you think Steve does that as a free gift, a present to His users?

    No my friend, that is one humongous money machine! Pure and simple.



    Wake up and smell the roses. We're getting fucked.



    It's funny because since you can't coherently (or for that matter, accurately) reply to what I've proven wrong of yours, you decided not to reply at all.



    Apple makes all the money they "lose" back in hardware sales. Plain and simple.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,748member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post


    Wake up and smell the roses. We're getting fucked.



    Really? You are getting fucked? So, even if you choose not to use their services, they can still get you? Because you aren't using iCloud yet, but they still managed to fuck you?



    I think you need to be more worried about Steve sending his ninjas to kill you at night for outing their plans. Seriously. You really need to be more concerned about that then the ridiculous crap you are posting.



    It would be nice if a mod could just merge this waste of a thread in their thread it should have been in in the first place (you know, the one with the same name). That way his drivel can just be buried and ignored. Or just delete the thread. Worthless crap.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Apple makes all the money they "lose" back in hardware sales. Plain and simple.





    Sleep well, my friend!

    It seems you've missed the fact that well over 80% of Apple revenue and profits – BILLIONS – was generated from software sales in the last decade: iTunes, iBooks, and iVideos.

    Apple develops and sells their hardware only to get you to spend on software to run on it, because that is where they make a shitload of money.



    iCloud is Steve's next big time rip-off scheme. And it's brilliant, because with iCloud Apple doesn't even need to 'create' or sell the software he wants you to pay for. It's your own software that you park in Steve's iCloud. And Steve will happily charge you to get at your own software! Again, and again, and again.

    Brilliant!

    And devious.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post


    Apple develops and sells their hardware only to get you to spend on software to run on it, because that is where they make a shitload of money.



    Ah, the ambiguity of English syntax. It allows me to turn your sentence into one that supports my position!



    For example, I could respond by saying, "Exactly. Hardware (your 'that') is where they make money."



    But that wouldn't be a good reply. It's nothing more than a play on syntax without data to back up my position.



    OH LOOK. DATA.







    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that software sliver there... is smaller than the hardware sections. At least, it looks like that to me. Even if it's "billions" of dollars in software sales (pro tip: it isn't, unless you're being pedantic and asserting that two billion at max is "billions"), it doesn't matter.



    iCloud is free. iCloud will stay free. And Apple will offset operating costs by the increased sale of iDevices–and through them–Macs. Deal with it.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    What a pretty picture.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    iCloud is free. iCloud will stay free.



    Famous last words.

    Reminds me of Obama's campaign promises that he was going to "bring our [military] men and women home". Two years later there are more US military in the Middle East than ever before...
  • Reply 16 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    You refuse to listen to any point but your own. This thread's over. I'm done responding to a troll.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    I'm done responding to a troll.



    That's funny: your argument doesn't make sense so you resort to name-calling and insulting!
  • Reply 18 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post


    That's funny: your argument doesn't make sense so you resort to name-calling and insulting!



    You said:



    Quote:

    It seems you've missed the fact that well over 80% of Apple revenue and profits ? BILLIONS ? was generated from software sales in the last decade: iTunes, iBooks, and iVideos.

    Apple develops and sells their hardware only to get you to spend on software to run on it, because that is where they make a shitload of money.



    which is flatly untrue. That's the "argument" that "doesn't make sense."
  • Reply 19 of 30
    charley2charley2 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Ah, the ambiguity of English syntax. It allows me to turn your sentence into one that supports my position!



    For example, I could respond by saying, "Exactly. Hardware (your 'that') is where they make money."



    But that wouldn't be a good reply. It's nothing more than a play on syntax without data to back up my position.



    OH LOOK. DATA.







    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that software sliver there... is smaller than the hardware sections. At least, it looks like that to me. Even if it's "billions" of dollars in software sales (pro tip: it isn't, unless you're being pedantic and asserting that two billion at max is "billions"), it doesn't matter.



    iCloud is free. iCloud will stay free. And Apple will offset operating costs by the increased sale of iDevices?and through them?Macs. Deal with it.



    Itools is free, Dot mac is free, Mobile Me is $99 a year. They did it once and they'll do it again.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charley2 View Post


    Itools is free, Dot mac is free, Mobile Me is $99 a year. They did it once and they'll do it again.



    .Mac wasn't free.
Sign In or Register to comment.