Inside Apple's move to open up SMS-style messaging to non-mobile clients

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Is iChat even a part of Mac OS Lion? Perhaps it is already being killed.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    What ever happen to all that White Space noise we heard a while ago?

I am sure that Microsoft, Google and all the rest that were making all the

noise did not have the courage to open up the airwaves.

Apple is really the only one who will go against the establishment.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Is iChat even a part of Mac OS Lion? Perhaps it is already being killed.

Of course it is. You can't kill iChat. FaceTime can't do half of what iChat does, and iMessage isn't anywhere near the other half.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    iMessage is only useful if every single person in the world has an iOS Device. SMS/MMS are global standards that exist on every text device regardless of maker. iMessage is proprietary. It will have limited appeal but for me, most of my contacts do not have iOS devices (yet) and some will never have one (love Androids).
  • Reply 25 of 67
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Wouldn't it be great if Apple just bought Sprint, hired a few PHD's, called AppleMobille and only sold iPhones and iPad's from their Apple stores and online. With an unlimited plan for $49.95 for your iPhones and iPad!

How many people would stay with Verizon and ATT...3?

No advertising, no Sprint stores, one simple bill = no customer service or billing staff. Bill through iTunes.

P.S. Then buy a SatTV company! All channels, $29.95/mo.

Apple would never buy Sprint or any other cell company for that matter.

Apple considers mobile operators as dumb pipes. They provide no value add. Mobile operators are like the electric company, just a utility.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

How can you know its better than iMessage, when you've never used iMessage?

He knows iMessage is not cross platform.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    This was trending on reddit. And I thought I should post. Things don't look too well. At least to me, or any one else who has seen them.

Steve Jobs rests his head against his wife, Laurene Powell Jobs, after delivering the keynote address to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference at Moscone West on Monday.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theblackswan View Post

This was trending on reddit. And I thought I should post. Things don't look too well. At least to me, or any one else who has seen them.

Steve Jobs rests his head against his wife, Laurene Powell Jobs, after delivering the keynote address to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference at Moscone West on Monday.

Oh, for frick's sake. He's not resting his head because he's exhausted, he's resting his head lovingly. These people have obviously never done that, so they're being doomsayers.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    I only SMS with a few close friends and family and they are all using iOS as of a couple of months ago. So I will be punishing imessage as soon as iOS 5 arrives. So it's goodbye google voice and as for carriers, no way I am paying for SMS when I pay for a data plan. Goggle voice, MobileMe push email, third party texting app, imessage, whatever. Not getting any more money from me so they can suck it!
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, for frick's sake. He's not resting his head because he's exhausted, he's resting his head lovingly. These people have obviously never done that, so they're being doomsayers.

Look at the next pic. It seems sad to me. Anyhow, I only posted because it felt that way, and I am not alone.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/commen...inst_his_wife/
  • Reply 31 of 67
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

He knows iMessage is not cross platform.

And WhatsApp only works on the iPhone. Won't work on the iPad nor the iPod touch. Otherwise, it is nice app as long as you get your messages on time not hours or days later.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:

Look at the next pic. It seems sad to me. Anyhow, I only posted because it felt that way, and I am not alone.

And have any of these people ever felt or expressed love for another person? Jeez.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And have any of these people ever felt or expressed love for another person? Jeez.

Ah so you are the one who posted this on the other reddit post - "Did you see him lift anything? How do you know he's weak?" You obviously think that he is great, while most of us don't. Anyways it all conjecture. I thought it was relevant. And a lot of developers too have tweeted how they felt this was the last Stevenote. And this picture exemplified that in my mind.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

iChat, Facetime, iMessenger = Unzen

Am I the only one who feels these should be 1 app? Unzen = Unapple!

They probably will be, at least technologically, if not the mental model. The underlying iMessenger framework supports the functionality of all of them plus notifications, and in a svelte way. iChat and FaceTime presumably will meld and the inefficient supporting technology will go away.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple unveiled a new iMessaging app that brings SMS-style messaging to iOS devices that lack a mobile data connection, such as WiFi-only iPads and the iPod touch. The technology behind the software presents several advantages for mobile devices over offerings from rival Google and Microsoft, and is also likely to soon find its way to iChat on Mac. ...

iChat sounds so much better than "iMessaging" though.

I wish they'd actually done something with iChat instead of letting it languish all these years. Then they wouldn't have to reinvent chat yet again with iMessage.

Bleh. It's not only not a nice sounding word/phrase, it's actually kind of hard to use in regular speech.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    tulliustullius Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Oh please. That's just a married couple being close - after he's done with a big event. She's actually smiling in the second pic.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'd like to see the FaceTime service regulated to an open, service that is backed into iMessages.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

it only "seems sad to you" because you read the stupid write-up on Reddit instead of actually looking at the picture.

Both it and the next one clearly show Jobs smiling, and his wife smiling back at him. He's not exhausted, and you can totally tell quite easily by looking at the pictures as well as the ones on either side, as well as simply watching the freaking Keynote.

These are pictures of a happy man at the top of his game and it's ridiculously obvious that they are, if (again), you actually look at the pictures (closely).
  • Reply 39 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Maybe it's just me, but I get the impression that Apple has learned enough about and had enough of the weakest links in their iPhone, iPad, iPod touch product chain... Wi-Fi hotspots and the phone companies. It's about time they started burning some bridges and took these things to the next level and AWAY from the phone service providers, who have nothing more than their own interests in mind.

Ummmmm, huh? Ahhh yea its just you.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple would never buy Sprint or any other cell company for that matter.

Apple considers mobile operators as dumb pipes. They provide no value add. Mobile operators are like the electric company, just a utility.

Just like veins are dumb pipes but without them you'd die rather quickly.