Inside Apple's move to open up SMS-style messaging to non-mobile clients

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

My point has nothing to do with Apple acquiring a carrier. Simply that the so called dumb pipes carry the life's blood of our devices, our calls, emails, SMS/MMS, internet, etc....and they're job like any other business is to maximize profits.

Sure, but that's not the point of contention, is it? I don't see anyone arguing that "dumb pipes" shouldn't exist at all, just that they should in fact be dumb-- that is, a neutral conduit for moving information.

Just as no one would much like it if your circulatory system decided to set up shop as a rival to the brain or nervous system.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    Does iMessage have a feature "like iChat" to send messages to surrounding devices through "Bonjour" ?!
  • Reply 63 of 67
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

And WhatsApp only works on the iPhone. Won't work on the iPad nor the iPod touch. Otherwise, it is nice app as long as you get your messages on time not hours or days later.

I use Whatsapp on my BB to send IMs to my wife (she has an iPhone 4). I like the fact got some of the same features like BB Messenger. I do agree sometimes the connection to the Whatsapp servers will go offline, meaning messages wont be delivered for minutes / hours.

I also use iMessenger (guess this will be turfed from the App Store once IOS 5 comes out) on my iPod Touch to talk to my friends with iDevices. Similar to Apple's future version.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You can send messages to surrounding iOS devices. You don't need Bonjour for that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saud View Post

Does iMessage have a feature "like iChat" to send messages to surrounding devices through "Bonjour" ?!

• Reply 65 of 67
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You can send messages to surrounding iOS devices. You don't need Bonjour for that.

iOS device to an iOS device? .. Like if I was in a cafe and I could send a message to any person around there with an iOS device??

How is that possible? Does it require iMessage and iOS 5?
  • Reply 66 of 67
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You have to get their permission. You cannot just send anything to any Mac through Bonjour either. Not sure what you question is about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saud View Post

iOS device to an iOS device? .. Like if I was in a cafe and I could send a message to any person around there with an iOS device??

How is that possible? Does it require iMessage and iOS 5?