Apple planning massive 12,000 employee 'spaceship' campus in Cupertino

Comments

• Reply 61 of 308
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

No problem, watch the video, then come back to this thread.

It's the other way around. In the USA, anyone (literally, if you watch the video) can become a city councillor. And in this case, it wasn't a case of Steve saying, DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???, he was respectfully presenting the plans and answering questions, of which some were legitimate concerns, and some were silly like the city councillors wanting free iPads and what not.

As you are not American (and neither am I, though I have travelled a lot), you would normally assume Steve Jobs would walk in there and "threaten" them. Like I said, in most developing countries, someone like Steve Jobs wouldn't even have to show up. Whatever he wanted, the government (country, state, city, village, whatever) would simply bow to whatever his wishes were.

I'm living in a country where you can't even be Prime Minister if you are not Muslim, even if you are a citizen. And this ain't the Middle East. The government recently paraded all the Christian church leaders out in front of the media as they were accused of "plotting to put a Christian Prime Minister in power".

Anyway, with regard to the actual approval process, I'm sure someone more familiar with Silicon Valley can comment. They can say "No", but that would be suicide for the city. All they need to do is due dilligence, or at least show some of that if it's just rubber-stamping the approval.

Steve has had a lot of problems with another city, well, town, in this case Woodside, with regards to his plan to demolish an old house of apparent historic value which he bought. I think this Cupertino presentation was a big PR and perhaps an expression of "wanting to play by the rules" move to make sure no problems crop up with the new Apple campus.

Have you watched the entire video?

This was not the first time many of the councillors, city planners/building department were apprised of Steve's plans. The formal presentation to the councillors is a standard protocol for any developer, particularly of this magnitude.

Amazing the number of folks here are of such high levels of expertise to be directing Steve, Apple, the City Council and community members of what, how and when to do things. And that is without even watching the video, let alone being apprised of the many meetings with individual council members and onsite presentations to the various city departments that are involved in the licensing/permitting necessary to even start the project, let alone build it.
  • Reply 62 of 308
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Seriously. Anyone not thinking that this is a green building is smoking some of that weed.

He mentioned natural gas as their primary power source. Probably to power Bloom boxes (fuel cells) which can be switched to renewable fuel sources.

http://www.bloomenergy.com/products/

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ted;photovideo

You are correct, it won't be green ... The color.

There are many levels of 'green' design. Didn't know they published this designs goals yet, have a link?

Yes, could be the bloom boxes, but renewable.... Gas? Not much around. The main benefit is they are not outrageous in price compared to other fuel cells, and in theory lower maintenance. It will be interesting.
  • Reply 63 of 308
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

I like the green space inside the circle. Looks like a beautiful walled garden!

To me it looks like a halo.
  • Reply 64 of 308
    riderrider Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

I like the green space inside the circle. Looks like a beautiful walled garden!

Haha it is a beautiful walled garden! withs its own ecosystem
  • Reply 65 of 308
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

This was not the first time many of the councillors, city planners/building department were apprised of Steve's plans. The formal presentation to the councillors is a standard protocol for any developer, particularly of this magnitude.

Amazing the number of folks here are of such high levels of expertise to be directing Steve, Apple, the City Council and community members of what, how and when to do things. And that is without even watching the video, let alone being apprised of the many meetings with individual council members and onsite presentations to the various city departments that are involved in the licensing/permitting necessary to even start the project, let alone build it.

Exactly.
  • Reply 66 of 308
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I thought the point of being off the grid was interesting. Not sure I understand that. If the main grid goes down due to earth quake most likely gas will be shut off. I get the impression it's a jab at the rolling blackouts that occur during peak usage times in heat waves. Google and others have some fuel cells, i wonder if thats what is in mind? Thoughts anyone?

Well, in 2000-2002 the rolling blackouts in the SF Bay Area was really shocking to me when I was there. I mean, all these major companies having to shut down operations or at least revert to backup power. At work our web team had to keep changing links on various company websites to point to the colocated servers instead of the in-house servers. This was the time when a lot of smaller websites could be run off in-house servers. Of course, today so much is in the "cloud".

It's obvious this campus is designed to be off-the-grid because of clean energy goals and also because Steve doesn't want any amazing, visionary work to ever be dependent on the mainstream energy companies. I hope they're earthquake-proofing it to the max as well.
  • Reply 67 of 308
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Quote:

Exactly.

Yes, I watched the whole video. I assume it's just part of the regulatory process, but the PR element cannot be denied. It was *such* a big deal for Steve to actually turn up at WWDC and he looked like he was struggling. I am positive the last thing he would want to do was to have to go to the Cupertino City Council the very next day, let alone in the middle of Apple's most successful public event!

Like I said, I concede that I am no expert in the matter and there are a lot of pieces and procedures to the whole thing. I was responding to the poster saying "I'm not from America, can they say No to Steve?", whereby I said, yes, I'm sure it is possible, but of course there's a lot of bureaucracy in place and in motion. And I was reminding this poster this isn't like the developing world where you just walk in, flash some cash, jewels and promises and Boom! You have your permit.

Again, obviously this "presentation" is just a piece of the regulatory dance, but for Steve himself, during WWDC, with the status of his health and weight, to personally do all this is IMO significant regardless of how things are normally done in Cupertino.

What is also significant is the obvious shock and awe the councillors were in, and also some of the silly questions they asked for something of this magnitude.
  • Reply 68 of 308
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rider View Post

Haha it is a beautiful walled garden! withs its own ecosystem

Yup, flora and fauna will be tightly curated. We'll be reading on AppleInsider how various employees who like certain plants don't get it "approved" for the courtyard.

Apple will have to come up with a statement:

"Because we want our employees to have the best garden courtyard experience possible, we make sure that only the plants that work best with our campus APIs are allowed."
  • Reply 69 of 308
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Seriously. Anyone not thinking that this is a green building is smoking some of that weed.

He mentioned natural gas as their primary power source. Probably to power Bloom boxes (fuel cells) which can be switched to renewable fuel sources.

http://www.bloomenergy.com/products/

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ted;photovideo

Google been evaluating Bloom boxes for a couple of years now, their first real customer IIRC. While they can supply some of the needs for customers like Google or FedX, they're not yet anywhere near ready to replace traditional power sources for a project of this size, especially economically. With Apple nearly always focused on the bottom line, I don't see them making this kind of upfront investment that may never result in any cost savings.
  • Reply 70 of 308
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google been evaluating Bloom boxes for a couple of years now, their first real customer IIRC. While they can supply some of the needs for customers like Google or FedX, they're not yet anywhere near ready to replace traditional power sources for a project of this size, especially economically. With Apple nearly always focused on the bottom line, I don't see them making this kind of upfront investment that may never result in any cost savings.

Aren't you also going to chime in on how the Googleplex is somehow "greener", more "open", offers more "choice" and "freedom", and how employees can root their cubicles?
  • Reply 71 of 308
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

While true about natural light being nice, most office modern buildings even need cooling in the winter. Remember, all the computers, lights and people add up to alot of heat. It's only on the weekends or long shutdowns of the building that heat would be required.

Yes, but that's because most office buildings use traditional glass rather than low emission glass which reflects the thermal frequencies, while allowing optical wavelengths in. Then there's the really high tech smart-glass option, which Jobs certainly has the money to play with. Also most modern office buildings are built without any natural air-flow, because most are so high that open windows would cause huge problems. A groundscraper like this can have electronically controlled ventilation instead of recirculated air-conditioning except in the hottest weather.

There are LOTS of ways to build an efficient building, solar is just a totemic technology that a lot of people have a woody for. It's not necessarily the best approach, and incidentally part of the reason for that is thermal, solar panels by definition absorb a lot of light, only some of that is converted to electriicty, the rest becomes heat - increasing your cooling bills. Sticking panels on the roof is a good option if you have an existing bullding though.

Check out some of the information on the Rocky Mountain Institute's website http://www.rmi.org/rmi/Cooling+The+Warming the video there discuses a building designed to utilize almost entirely natural light during daylight
  • Reply 72 of 308
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I don?t understand the questions of residents? gains and free WiFi? Sorry I am not American.

I read some of your comment and I still don?t understand. Please Lighten up on things.

Do the ?council? have the power to say no? And why would they say no?

I didn?t watch the video yet. I hope it was a joke. It seems Jobs was threatening them who is in charge, who is more powerful and who pays their salary.

City Council, along with a City Mayor are the Law. They determine what can and cannot be built for the City. They are elected officials to do that and balance the City Budget. Get it yet?
  • Reply 73 of 308
    blimpblimp Posts: 3member
    NEWSFLASH: Steve Jobs reveals to council that Apple just loves Windows
  • Reply 74 of 308
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    it actually is a spaceship.
  • Reply 75 of 308
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blimp View Post

NEWSFLASH: Steve Jobs reveals to council that Apple just loves Windows

Curved, glass windows.
  • Reply 76 of 308
    applebirdapplebird Posts: 78member
    Quote:

Yes, I don't think Apple should have carte blanche to do what they want just because it's already so stunning... Maybe the real questions the city council as well as the state should be asking is what about solar? There are many new office buildings around the world being built that are already "greener" than this. Yes, architect students will come to see it but it's not really an epitome of a green building.

• Reply 77 of 308
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Apple also plans to supply its own power, using the city grid as backup. ...

It's got a built in battery. Fail.
  • Reply 78 of 308
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Aren't you also going to chime in on how the Googleplex is somehow "greener", more "open", offers more "choice" and "freedom", and how employees can root their cubicles?

Don't I always use those words when Google is mentioned?
  • Reply 79 of 308
    Steve Jobs is an utter hero. It obviously took a monumental expenditure of precious energy to make that presentation and he's doing it for Apple's future. He was gracious, fiercely intelligent as always, and stuck to his guns and made his points well. The city cannot help but try to pick up freebies but Steve isn't having that, and does it with humor and no-argue force.

Apple is beyond fortunate to have such a founder who is willing to put himself out there on Apple's behalf when any other person at this point would be resting at home. I pray for Steve every day and thank God for every time I have been blessed to see him in action. A rare Titan of a man. His courage and perseverance are outstanding. Witness a legend.
  • Reply 80 of 308
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by APPLEBIRD View Post

It's fokes like you that want us to return to the Stone Age :-(

Huh? I was just saying, if the council wanted to push Apple a little further, they could... Solar panels are just a possibility. There are many cutting-edge "green buildings" around the world now. I'm wondering what an objective evaluation of the Apple campus would be. Isn't there supposed to be standardised ratings and all that? I'm not asking you to power your computer by a bicycle and compost your poop.

The city council looked like it just wanted to make sure Apple wasn't going anywhere and that they got their free iPads and their own Apple Store (so they didn't have to drive, what, 10 minutes down the road to the nearest one?)... in the video anyways. I'm not saying they don't do important work otherwise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's got a built in battery. Fail.