Gartner cuts 2011 PC forecast; Microsoft considering own-brand Windows 8 tablet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I would advise Microsoft to come out with a brown ZunePad, it can't fail.

... at the end of 2012 you should have added.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Last week I would have agreed, that very few people would get an iPad instead of a computer. Come this fall, though, that will start to happen more and more!

Excellent point, nagromme! I'm seriously considering doing this. I have an iP4 and an orig. intel 20" iMac. I just sold my orig. intel MB.

I run a real estate business and am in the process of simplifying all my processes, charts, reports, presentations, etc., to all be done on an iPad 2 using iWork.

Admittedly, reconfiguring everything for the iPad will take some effort, but once it's on the iPad it's just a question of updating said reports with monthly data. Which can be done sitting by the lake sipping a beer!

With an iPad 2, an iP4 (both running iOS 5), an ATV and iCloud, I'm good to go.

Simplify the business and simplify my tech gadgetry. No stand alone camera's, no stand alone GPS units, no stand alone video camera, no ext. HD. Not to mention all the un-needed ugly pwr bricks and cables!

All thanks to Stevo and Apple. I love it!

Best
  • Reply 23 of 49
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,336member
    The Microsoft branded tablet is nuts. First, their brand is nearly worthless -- maybe even harmful. I'll bet WP7 would be more popular if it didn't have the names Microsoft and Windows associated with it. Second, they have nothing to bring to the hardware design relative to the likes of Samsung or HTC. Third, this totally undermines their business model which is to sell OS software to OEMs.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Since the PC/Mac "will just be another device" on iCloud, maybe its time to consolidate our desktops into a single desktop supporting a cluster of iPads. Either a top end Mac Mini, or a 27" iMac for whatever heavy-hauling we might need. Sep. user accounts for everyone, remote control to the iMac when I don't need to be at the desk. You know, that sounds very workable. Add in Apple TV for content in the family room - I potentially could drop cable TV as well.

Chime in folks - downsides? Something I'm missing?
  • Reply 25 of 49
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:

Microsoft considering own-brand Windows 8 tablet

So Microsoft is going to back stab their "partners" yet again? Imagine that! Not like this has never happened before.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    MicroSoft should stay out of the hardware, but i understand why they are doing it. Look at Windows Phone 7 adoption. Most WP7 phones are Android phones that were rebranded with WP7 loaded. Android ate WP7s market and partners.

MS should have Nokia build their W8 tablet. That is why they "bought" them right? (I mean a back door "buy".) To have someone building devices for WP7 only. Now they can add W8 tablets. Still at the rate of change at Nokia it will still be the end of next year or Nokia would have the hardware and MS would have incomplete SW like the RIM Playbook. Other also rans in the tablet market would sell their tablets with W8, but it would be the same rebranding of Android devices with W8 loaded.

Overall still a big MS fail.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    "The Zune media player, the company's own-brand TVs and especially the Kin smartphone have all performed below expectations."

That is a rather kind way of saying it ... but these products have come no where close to expectations.

MS has become the IBM of the 1970's and 1980's ... big, fat, dumb and incapable of innovating anything. They can only follow Apple at this point, and they have been failing at that too (see above).

MS have been in their own way for two decades. They have lot's of talented people, but their leadership has not set the correct focus.

The OS is still too complicated to use (I know, I have to provide family technical support to those who still use MS products). Vista was a joke, Windows 7 is a little better, but still can't come close to OS X in terms of overall user experience.

Granted there are plenty of satisfied Windows users, but then most of those have not tried the Mac and so have no way to compare.

Ballmer needs to step aside and they need to bring in someone who will refocus the company.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Besides the software licensing model, has Microsoft ever been the first to market with anything, rather than copying?

R&D = Rewrap & Disguise
  • Reply 29 of 49
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Apple should release a soda, just to watch MS decide to slavishly copy the idea. Apple soda would obviously be apple flavored. MS I'm not quite sure...

What a cool idea. Apple flavored Apple soda. All natural. iSoda
  • Reply 30 of 49
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:

Apple should release a soda, just to watch MS decide to slavishly copy the idea. Apple soda would obviously be apple flavored. MS I'm not quite sure...

Okay this made me laugh
  • Reply 31 of 49
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Besides the software licensing model, has Microsoft ever been the first to market with anything, rather than copying?

Yep, see iOS 5 feature list for examples
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

What a cool idea. Apple flavored Apple soda. All natural. iSoda

Don't call it iSoda sounds wimpy. Call it iDrank so MS could call theirs Zuds.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Let MS try manufacturing its own things the way Apple does (or doesn't depending on if you count contracting with others to do the work). Is it even possible for MS to drop their OS and create something new?

HP is moving in the direction of being independent of MS. I hope it succeeds in dumping MS. I wish Dell would adopt a Linux distribution for their products (HP too). That way users could have a better computing experience without the crap that comes along with MS. Doing this would spur more programmers to create awesome programs for Linux. It would also help them eliminate the need for so many technical support telephone staff. All Dell and HP would need to do is be sure that all of the drivers necessary to run videos and everything else were pre-configured in their computers.

Businesses need to get over the idea that all computers must be able to run MS Office products. It's time to move on and get something better running on Linux. If there is an office program out there that is free or for a fee, that works as well as MS Office, they really need a better PR team. I haven't heard of one.

I have OpenOffice and I've heard of Libre. They work well but not quite as good from the reports I've read. Honestly, if you think about it, the office needs are the only reason MS continues to exist as the default OS on most of the computers sold in the world. Manufacturers just need to step up and just say no to MS and begin offering Linux machines along side MS products (and this time not give up on the idea). It's the only way they'll ever lower their need for technical support people.

Smallwheels
  • Reply 34 of 49
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It's an interesting theory, but it's not backed by the facts.

X360 has the highest attach rate per console sold of the current console generation.

I don't have any clue for Xbox success, but one thing for sure. No other company beside Micosoft would still alive with the horrible Xbox reliability and fail rate.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:

Well obviously it would be Zune flavour \
  • Reply 36 of 49
    cambocambo Posts: 38member
    I hope it comes stock with a big picture of Ballmer's sweating, stressed-out face as a desktop pic.

Cheers,

Cameron
  • Reply 37 of 49
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

The Microsoft branded tablet is nuts. First, their brand is nearly worthless -- maybe even harmful.

This says it all. MS is paying the price for all the years and years of frustration people have had to suffer using Windows 3.0 thru Windows Vista. Sure MS has made a fine OS with Windows7... but it's too late. I think Windows is viewed much like people view cable companies... many people are neutral toward them and the rest loath them, yet the product is necessary and the options are greatly restricted, so they are put up with.

Now if MS puts out a product that is approximately equal to an Apple product (maybe a little worse... or even a little better) I think the MS brand will hurt them. People will not necessarily make the assumption that the product is a top-notch. Where, with Apple, it is quite the opposite.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Bit of topic. But could anybody please explain why it is taking SO long for HP to get into the Tablet Wars. I can understand that they are trying to get it right. But man they have had all the Palm smarts and engineers for about two long years. And I personally think that the Palm OS was the closest thing to iOS.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

Bit of topic. But could anybody please explain why it is taking SO long for HP to get into the Tablet Wars. I can understand that they are trying to get it right. But man they have had all the Palm smarts and engineers for about two long years. And I personally think that the Palm OS was the closest thing to iOS.

I think WebOS is facing the same challenge of Google with Android 3.0. They come out quickly with an tablet augmented UI from a Phone OS, but there still a lot of work to do in its API before releasing the platform to developer. HP already state WebOS was underfund we created by Palm, so WebOS backend can be a ugly mess.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

I'm guessing MS soda would be Cola+Orange+Lemon+Apple+Barbecue+HotSauce+...

More features means better right?

Might be difficult getting the cheese flavour in though.