New Convert: What Should I Buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everyone. I'm heading to school in the fall, and I've decided I want to get a mac for my laptop instead of a PC. I know I want something fairly high end, but not suuper expensive (around the 1-1.2k range). What models would you suggest I go for.

Also I've heard that Apple has good deals for college students sometimes. Haven't they like given out free ipods or something?

What do you think would be the best laptop for me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tunto View Post

What do you think would be the best laptop for this me?

A laptop is a really personal choice, any mac laptop will be able to serve your needs with respect to college work, so go with whatever fits your budget and feels a comfortable weight to carry around. Whatever you do be sure to take advantage of the educational discount - it is substantial and I think you get extended applecare thrown in for free - I certainly did.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    tuntotunto Posts: 16member
    While still deciding on what mac I'm going to get I came across this Apple discount..

Back to School Special: Buy a Mac for college and get $100 to spend on the Mac App Store PLUS 3% cash back when shopping at Apple Store for Education with Free Shipping.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

While still deciding on what mac I'm going to get I came across this Apple discount..

Back to School Special: Buy a Mac for college and get $100 to spend on the Mac App Store PLUS 3% cash back when shopping at Apple Store for Education with Free Shipping.

I'd definitely go with the base model 13" MacBook Pro. It's a beautiful machine with enough horsepower to complete most tasks quickly in addition to fitting your budget. If, however, you want a bigger screen and something really powerful for high-end games and video editing, I'd spring for this 15" MacBook Pro. It is 50% faster than the 13" model and costs $430 more. It's an amazing difference if you're doing high-end work or play, but not necessary if you're just needing a basic laptop at a relatively low cost.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Is the Apple Care worth the extra money in your opinion? I am torn on that one... Don't know if I should get it or not
  • Reply 5 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Is the Apple Care worth the extra money in your opinion? I am torn on that one... Don't know if I should get it or not

If you can afford it, laptops are pretty much the only devices I would ever spring for an extended warranty (AppleCare or otherwise, although AppleCare is pretty solid).

Laptops are (1) expensive and expensive to repair (2) portable, so they're subject to additional wear and tear, and (3) have parts that can actually wear out or have deteriorating performance over time (chiefly the HD but also ports and the screen).

AppleCare doesn't cover normal wear (keycaps and case cosmetics, say) or "consumables" (the battery) although it will also extend the period that those items can be replaced if defective (if the battery is'nt performing within expected tolerance at the two year mark, say).

In my experience you have a better shot showing up at an Apple Store with your AppleCare number in hand and getting something repaired/replaced than with one of those third party extended warranty operations. And Apple employees will often go the extra mile in edge cases, whereas extended warranty providers seem really intent on finding reasons to deny claims.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Since your a college student on a budget, PCs have better values than a Mac.

Right now a Toshiba Protege R835 has a great deal at Best Buy. Its very light (only around 3.5 pounds) much lighter than anything above a MBA. It also has all the features including a DVD drive for watching movies and installing other software. Its priced less than $799.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Porteg.../dp/B004G8QOJS

Get a Mac after you graduate with some money in the bank.

I have both a MBP and PC at my desk. So I'm not a fanboy or anything.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    It's a shame there are no refurb mini's on the Apple site. I'd probably go that route + an iPad vs a Macbook/Air/Pro.

$649 for a mini edu pricing + $499 for an iPad + HDTV + PS3 is a nice little dorm setup that covers 99% of the bases from homework to movies to games to mobility. Don't forget cables, keyboard, mouse, etc. Make sure the mini qualifies for the $100 app store gift card.

Replace the mini with a Dell Zino for $499 with BR if PS3+mini is too pricey.

No laptop but unless you get the Air the iPad is a lot easier to schlepp around campus.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    How much is the AppleCare anyway? and how long is it for?
  • Reply 9 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

How much is the AppleCare anyway?

Varies.

Quote:

and how long is it for?

Varies. An extra year for devices, an extra two for computers.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    dunkendunken Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Back to School Special: Buy a Mac for college and get $100 to spend on the Mac App Store PLUS 3% cash back when shopping at Apple Store for Education with this deal and Free Shipping.

How do you get the cash back?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Back to School Special: Buy a Mac for college and get $100 to spend on the Mac App Store PLUS 3% cash back when shopping at Apple Store for Education with this deal and Free Shipping.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunken View Post

I'm not sure what the 3% thing is about... you can go to the online Apple store (store.apple.com or for Canada store.apple.com/ca), scroll down on the left side until you see "Education Store" and click on that. Then let them know what school you go to. You'll be returned to the store, but everything will be at least $50 cheaper. The MacBook Pro is $100 off. So it's not really cash back, it's just cheaper to begin with.

If you click on the Mac App Store banner on that page, it says that you just get an iTunes card along with the computer when it ships. Note, it's an iTunes card, so I would think you can use it on the Mac App Store, iTunes Music/Movie store, or iOS App Store.

Also, you can click on the computer you're interested in and then scroll down to add in whatever features you want - more RAM, bigger hard drive, iWork (which is $71 for the disk, or you can get it on the App Store for $60), or Apple Care, which for the 13" MacBook Pro is $219 for a total of 3 years coverage.

I hope that helps you guys (girls?) out. Basically your best bet is to just play around on the online store and see what fits your budget and what "extras" you want. Check out the printers, too - if you buy a printer with your Mac, Apple will usually give you $100 rebate.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Hi everyone. I'm heading to school in the fall, and I've decided I want to get a mac for my laptop instead of a PC. I know I want something fairly high end, but not suuper expensive (around the 1-1.2k range). What models would you suggest I go for.

Also I've heard that Apple has good deals for college students sometimes. Haven't they like given out free ipods or something?

What do you think would be the best laptop for me?

Easy

Wait for a Macbook Air with Sandy Bridge and hopefully Thunderbolt. Whether it's the

11.6" or 13.3" display it's the perfect student notebook IMO.

Very fast for productivity apps and light @ 2.9lbs.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I'm not sure what the 3% thing is about... you can go to the online Apple store (store.apple.com or for Canada store.apple.com/ca), scroll down on the left side until you see "Education Store" and click on that. Then let them know what school you go to. You'll be returned to the store, but everything will be at least $50 cheaper. The MacBook Pro is $100 off. So it's not really cash back, it's just cheaper to begin with.

If you click on the Mac App Store banner on that page, it says that you just get an iTunes card along with the computer when it ships. Note, it's an iTunes card, so I would think you can use it on the Mac App Store, iTunes Music/Movie store, or iOS App Store.

Also, you can click on the computer you're interested in and then scroll down to add in whatever features you want - more RAM, bigger hard drive, iWork (which is $71 for the disk, or you can get it on the App Store for $60), or Apple Care, which for the 13" MacBook Pro is $219 for a total of 3 years coverage.

I hope that helps you guys (girls?) out. Basically your best bet is to just play around on the online store and see what fits your budget and what "extras" you want. Check out the printers, too - if you buy a printer with your Mac, Apple will usually give you $100 rebate.

Quote:

The 3% cash back deal I found online on a student discount website. You basically just use their link to go to the apple ed store online and they give you 3% back on your purchase on top of whatever apple is offering.

I'll have to play around online and figure out what I'm doing. Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Easy

Wait for a Macbook Air with Sandy Bridge and hopefully Thunderbolt. Whether it's the

11.6" or 13.3" display it's the perfect student notebook IMO.

Very fast for productivity apps and light @ 2.9lbs.

Wait for it, when's it coming out?
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Wait for it, when's it coming out?

No one can possibly know. Soon.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

The 3% cash back deal I found online on a student discount website. You basically just use their link to go to the apple ed store online and they give you 3% back on your purchase on top of whatever apple is offering.

I'll have to play around online and figure out what I'm doing. Thanks

Sorry I have another question about the cash back...does this apply to computer purchases only or can you also get cash back on software?
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Sorry I have another question about the cash back...does this apply to computer purchases only or can you also get cash back on software?

Applies to any purchase from the apple ed store.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    oh sweet so I can use it on software too. Lightroom or Photoshop??
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:

oh sweet so I can use it on software too. Lightroom or Photoshop??

That'd be implied when he said "any purchase", yes.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    I meant Lightroom or Photoshop , as in which one should i get??