With later arrival of new iPhone, HTC may challenge Apple as top US smartphone maker

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The strange thing is that as I travel around America all I see are iPhones. Who has all this Android phones?

People who are too ashamed of their cheap phones to take them out and use them in public...
  • Reply 22 of 116
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Regarding PCs, smartphones, tablets and such, the question arises do I want to buy a device because it has the largest market share or because it is the best? Sure, as a long time Apple fan and customer I revel in its recent dominance of several device markets but I didn't buy Apple products in the first place because they sold the most. I bought Apple products because I thought they were the best. Apple hating trolls have always claimed that the one with the most market share must ergo be the best. Of course they had to modify that claim when the iPod, iPhone, and iPad took over. Then it was only stupid people and "sheeple" who buy Apple products. But the point is market share and quality do not usually combine. It's the old "good enough" argument.

I have no doubt that Apple will eventually lose market share to cheaper knockoffs, the so-called "white boxes" but I will continue to buy Apple as long as they are the best and see no evidence of that changing any time soon. My youngest son recently switched from the iPhone to an HTC Android phone just because he wanted something different. At a recent family get together he lamented that the iPhone really is better than the Android. I just nodded in agreement.
  • Reply 23 of 116
    pbrstreetgpbrstreetg Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The strange thing is that as I travel around America all I see are iPhones. Who has all this Android phones?

Maybe you don't travel to any major cities like NYC or DC.
  • Reply 24 of 116
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

People who are too ashamed of their cheap phones to take them out and use them in public...

Everybody I know realizes that people define you by the phone you use.

And nobody wants to be defined as a cheapskate who likes to steal apps.
  • Reply 25 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

My youngest son recently switched from the iPhone to an HTC Android phone just because he wanted something different. At a recent family get together he lamented that the iPhone really is better than the Android. I just nodded in agreement.

Unlike a lot of people your son has used both so he can make an intelligent and informed statement on the differences. The iPhone fit and finish even on the first iPhone is unrivaled. Battery life in iPhone beats anything out there but the keyboard and screen size is not so good in my opinion.
  • Reply 26 of 116
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    The HTC thunderbolt is a very nice 4G phone.... I know three people who chose it over the iPhone 4...

If I had to buy and a new phone now it would be the Thunderbolt......

Before the fan boys pile on, I own three Macs and two iPads. If Apple ever releases a 4G phone, that is when I'll retire my Motorola Droid.....
  • Reply 27 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Everybody I know realizes that people define you by the phone you use.

And nobody wants to be defined as a cheapskate who likes to steal apps.

What a cheap and petty way to judge someone. In that metric Lady GaGa has contributed more to humanity than Albert Einstein. \
  • Reply 28 of 116
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Regarding PCs, smartphones, tablets and such, the question arises do I want to buy a device because it has the largest market share or because it is the best? Sure, as a long time Apple fan and customer I revel in its recent dominance of several device markets but I didn't buy Apple products in the first place because they sold the most. I bought Apple products because I thought they were the best. Apple hating trolls have always claimed that the one with the most market share must ergo be the best. Of course they had to modify that claim when the iPod, iPhone, and iPad took over. Then it was only stupid people and "sheeple" who buy Apple products. But the point is market share and quality do not usually combine. It's the old "good enough" argument.

And I am sure the folks at Apple would agree. They have always claimed that they are not interested in market share for the sake of it. These forums are full of people who at one time or another have insisted that Apple MUST get into the corporate market and produce low cost computers. Those people clearly don't understand what drives Apple. Having said that, I am sure Apple loves market share as much as the next guy / company.
  • Reply 29 of 116
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    given that the iPhone had a huge increase in market share in the US last quarter, I'm not sure where this is coming from. In fact iPhone passed RIM last quarter to become the 4th biggest US handset maker. To put it into perspective, if last quarter's trends were continued, Apple would be 3rd biggest US handset OEM in under a year.

HTC is too low to even show on comScore's publicly released figures, so we don't know how much they gained over the last quarter. Unless they're rapidly replacing Sony-Ericson and Nokia market share they're unlikely to even pass RIM very soon.
  • Reply 30 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

What a cheap and petty way to judge someone. In that metric Lady GaGa has contributed more to humanity than Albert Einstein. \

Einstein did NOT use an Android phone, so your analogy fails, troll.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

And I am sure the folks at Apple would agree. They have always claimed that they are not interested in market share for the sake of it. These forums are full of people who at one time or another have insisted that Apple MUST get into the corporate market and produce low cost computers. Those people clearly don't understand what drives Apple. Having said that, I am sure Apple loves market share as much as the next guy / company.

Agree PAX, marketshare does not matter for Apple. As long as they are profitable and make the best products. They are not out there to please everyone.
  • Reply 32 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Yikes! So much HTC hate. I'm glad to read about some manufacturers actually turning a profit using Android as the OS since it's those circling the drain that are grabbing onto Android like a life raft. HTC made 1/2 billion in net profit last quarter. That should be good for consumers if they intelligently invest that into competing better against the top dog, Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yikes! So much HTC hate. I'm glad to read about some manufacturers actually turning a profit using Android as the OS since it's those circling the drain that are grabbing onto Android like a life raft.

Tbey're not the only profitable Android maker, Samsung is also profitable.
  • Reply 34 of 116
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    I'm not surprised. HTC makes a very well-built phone hardware wise. They also have the enthusiast appeal by not locking down their bootloaders. Only issue with them is that they're pretty slow on the update side of things.

And with them having high end, desirable phones on every network (Thunderbolt on verizon, Inspire on AT&T, Evo on sprint, and the G2 on t-mobile) its not really surprising that they're the top android manufacturer right now.
  • Reply 35 of 116
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    Is HTC a US smartphone maker? Don't think so. Maybe they will top the US market in the number of smartphones sold? Apple could be classified a US smartphone maker, but the iPhones are all made in Asia.

This article is the typical garbage spewed by "industry experts"

The "experts" always focus on market share, not profits. I doubt market share means little to Apple when they are making the profits they do from iPhones and all the associated services and media sales that go with them.

How much profit does HTC make from each phone?
  • Reply 36 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

How much profit does HTC make from each phone?

Pretty much nothing. The only ones sold are BOGOS.
  • Reply 37 of 116
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yikes! So much HTC hate. I'm glad to read about some manufacturers actually turning a profit using Android as the OS since it's those circling the drain that are grabbing onto Android like a life raft. HTC made 1/2 billion in net profit last quarter. That should be good for consumers if they intelligently invest that into competing better against the top dog, Apple.

I believe the number you are looking for is 1.42 Billion: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/9...o_precise.html

Your statement, as an android enthusiast myself sees is correct. Any company content on releasing noticeable # of Android phones in a short period of time is in some sort of trouble.

An Analysis of all the major Manufacturers:

HTC: Android favorite, championed by the developer community, Phones have excellent build quality, Sense UI is most consumer/non-tech friendly android skin that doesn't directly rip iOS(COUGH, samsung, COUGH), and actually LISTENS to it's buyers

Samsung: Noted for excellent phones though they are usually plastic in build, Championed by Multi carrier enthusiasts, UI is TOO similar to iOS, criticized for Abysmally slow updates,

Developer community is neutral, Samsung is currently trying to win more support.

Motorola: Riding Verizon's "Droid" line, noted for metallic builds, loathed by developer community, Newer phones are not much better than the original phones, UI is HORRIBLE.

LG: Build quality is acceptable, Dev community is still not convinced, UI looks to similar to iOS, Newer premier phones experiencing multiple issues.

Sony: Little support shown for most phones, Gaming community attraction to Xperia Play died with Vita announcement, new player, Dev community not convinced.
  • Reply 38 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Pretty much nothing. The only ones sold are BOGOS.

Incorrect, while HTC isn't as profitable as Apple it is making money - going from the research from Asymco HTC is only a little below RIM in terms of profit per phone.

http://www.asymco.com/2011/05/26/a-n...-market-index/

It's Motorola, SE and LG who aren't making money.
  • Reply 39 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I believe the number you are looking for is 1.42 Billion: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/9...o_precise.html

The article in your link is gibberish. $1.42 for "May 2011" while flip-flopping between the terms profit and sales as if they were the same and not qualifying the type of profit.

Here are couple real links:
  • Reply 40 of 116
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

That article is a bit confusing. it states 1.42b in profits in the title, but the article states that's sales (so don't know if its referring to revenue or profit) in may alone.

Anyways, from WSJ: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...906345328.html

For the entire year of 2010, HTC had a revenue of NT$278b, with a profit of NT$39b. So right around a 15% profit margin. Not Apple levels, but not too bad either.