With later arrival of new iPhone, HTC may challenge Apple as top US smartphone maker

Comments

• Reply 41 of 116
    Here's what I think Apple is going to do:

1) Offer 2 new iPhones

-- a top-of-the-line iPhone with all the latest and greatest features

-- a lower-price iPhone for less-demanding needs/users

2) Make some creative package deals with the carriers

-- less expensive family plan

-- shared data

-- more- flexible contracts

-- better warranty replacement

-- easier, less-expensive 12 or 18 month upgrade

-- One-stop shopping

The objectives:

-- A compelling reason for every person in the family to have an iPhone

-- A competitive offering for those who cannot currently justify an iPhone

Tim Cook has said that Apple is going to do the lower-price option.

At some point, we will have reached the capacities (CPU cores, GPU cores, SSD, RAM, etc.) that are meaningful for a phone -- we may be close to this now.

Services, such as iCloud and iMessage will reduce some of the hardware requirements of new iPhones.
  • Reply 42 of 116
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Everybody I know realizes that people define you by the phone you use.

I call BS. Only a naive, self absorbed, pretentious wanker would believe they are defined by, or can define others by, a phone.

You can't possibly know so many of these people.
  • Reply 43 of 116
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    This type of competition is great. It only makes Apple that much better. Just think of the secret features Apple will announce about iOS 5 come this fall.
  • Reply 44 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The strange thing is that as I travel around America all I see are iPhones. Who has all this Android phones?

I have a few geeky friends who have Android phones because they feel they can customize their droid phones to their liking and they just want to buck the trend of having an iPhone. They're dopes of course...
  • Reply 45 of 116
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    "set to challenge"???

That's just another way of saying "potential iPhone killer". And we all know how those end up.
  • Reply 46 of 116
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

1) Offer 2 new iPhones

-- Top of the line - ip4

-- lower price - ip3gs (I have seen it for $0.-) - Or were you thinking Apple will bring out a BRAND NEW lower cost model?

Quote:

-- shared data

-- One-stop shopping

Isn't that all up to the carriers?

Quote:

The objectives:

At some point, we will have reached the capacities (CPU cores, GPU cores, SSD, RAM, etc.) that are meaningful for a phone -- we may be close to this now.

Services, such as iCloud and iMessage will reduce some of the hardware requirements of new iPhones.

iCloud will only reduce the storage capacity requirement. But I am not sure to what extent. The way I see it iCloud is more about (multiple) device and content management, and about making future purchase decision lean towards Apple, whether that be a computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone, and less about catering to new customers on a limited budget.
  • Reply 47 of 116
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

-- Top of the line - ip4

-- lower price - ip3gs (I have seen it for $0.-) - Or were you thinking Apple will bring out a BRAND NEW lower cost model?

I think the point is that when they bring out the iPhone 5 they don't want to keep making the iPhone 3GS, but the iPhone 4 may not be suited to the low cost segment due to the intrinsically expensive construction and materials.

So we may see eventually an update to the 3GS that keeps the plastic enclosure but updates the internals, in much the same way as the MacBook is pretty much the same as a MacBook Pro but is just built of less expensive materials.
  • Reply 48 of 116
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple continued to support the 3G with new OS updates after two years. iOS 5 will be supported on the 3GS which will be over 2 years old this Fall.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Of course, you have to factor in your two-year contract and the fact that you probably won't get software updates at the tail end of that contract after the iPhone 6 comes out, but it may be a good deal, depending on what the 5 has in it.

• Reply 49 of 116
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Everybody I know realizes that people define you by the phone you use.

And nobody wants to be defined as a cheapskate who likes to steal apps.

A lot of people don't mind to be defined with someone who likes to steal apps:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21871

Thought one needs to be shallow to the extreme to define others by the phone they use, or to wish to be defined in that fashion.
  • Reply 50 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Yawn - that is such a non story. A guy wrote an app that used either non-public functions or some other prohibited method to modify the iTunes library, he gave it a generic name and a generic icon based on two previously existing iOS/generic icons.

Of course it was rejected by the App Store and of course the functionality ended up being a core part of iOS and of course the name and icon look just like his.

Again - there was and is NO legitimate way for a complying iPhone app to modify the iTunes library. There is no legal case here, there isn't even a moral case here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple continued to support the 3G with new OS updates after two years. iOS 5 will be supported on the 3GS which will be over 2 years old this Fall.

Yes, but at some point it will need a hardware refresh - the CPU will just be too slow to support the latest apps. The only real question is what they'll call it then.
  • Reply 51 of 116
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Thought one needs to be shallow to the extreme to define others by the phone they use, or to wish to be defined in that fashion.

Did he patent it? Unless and until he wins a court case against Apple, I refuse to believe that Steve would do anything like that. These bloggers make up stuff all the time, like when they said that the IP4 detuned if you held it normally.
  • Reply 52 of 116
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

1) Offer 2 new iPhones

More like they will do what they have been doing.

Create a new phone

Step the last model down to an even lower storage level with a lower price for those that don't need the absolute latest and greatest

Quote:

Unless Apple wants to get into the cell phone carrier business, they need the carriers compliance to support the iphones at all. To do that, they have to stand out of demanding too much in terms of upgrade rules, pricing etc.

The most they are likely to do is unlock the dang phones and let all carriers with the tech have them. Even if that means that someone on a Mom and Pop has to play the risky game of cutting down a Sim card to get it to fit in the tray. If they are that nutty, go for it. If they screw it up and a boinked Sim card is why the phone isn't working Apple can just send the person out to get a new sim from their carrier (rather than replace the phone itself) in keeping with their 'user damage' rules.

Perhaps they might even make a single phone that can handle both ATT and TMobile 3g plus Verizon (and the appropriate GSM little guys), just switching via a sim card and/or software adjustment.

With more choices to the user, the carriers will have to get savvy on their plans to win folks over and keep them after contracts end. I actually know a lot of folks that would be happy to pay full price for an unlocked US phone and then move around until they find the service they like. Folks like that are a carrier's nightmare

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Of course it was rejected by the App Store and of course the functionality ended up being a core part of iOS and of course the name and icon look just like his.

Lets also consider that wireless syncing is the natural next step, one that folks have been yelling for since day one and one that Apple has probably been working on for that long. So it's unlikely that they had to 'rip off' his version because they were already creating their own, better one. Which is why they really rejected it. They just didn't want to show their hand on the feature just then so they took a little time to see if there was another legit reason for the rejection. Which added to the time it was taking just due to tons of apps being submitted every day to be reviewed by perhaps 50 people tops.
  • Reply 53 of 116
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

1) Offer 2 new iPhones

-- shared data

-- One-stop shopping

The objectives:

AGREED

except

maybe take all of number.> 2 << reasons and instead maybe apple will handle the contracts and handle all carrier stuff them selves . apple would buy time for us direct from the carriers .

with the smaller nano phone .

just talking

apple already owns a patent on the SW >>>> MVDO <<< WHICH CAN SWITCH FROM CARRIER TO CARRIER when on a call .

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...highlight=mvno
  • Reply 54 of 116
    Point being that Apple promised to only support iOS updates for two years. And have gone beyond the two years they promised. Of course eventually support will be cut off.

Quote:

Yes, but at some point it will need a hardware refresh - the CPU will just be too slow to support the latest apps. The only real question is what they'll call it then.

• Reply 55 of 116
    Do you really believe Apple suddenly got the idea to build a billion dollar cloud service and give it away for free because of this developer?

Quote:

Again - there was and is NO legitimate way for a complying iPhone app to modify the iTunes library. There is no legal case here, there isn't even a moral case here.

• Reply 56 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Which is why they really rejected it.

No - they really rejected it because it was non-compliant. They reject ALL apps that use non public functions - and the iPhone security model is such that Apps can't access other Apps' files. So either his app was breaking the security model or it was using non public functions - or both.

It would be the same if I wrote an app that copied your friends music ratings into your iTunes library where you had the same songs. Even though Apple may have no interest in doing it I would be breaking the development rules by writing into the iTunes DB.

On the other hand if I wrote a music player that browsed the iTunes DB, allowing me to play whatever I wanted from it and then broadcast the names of what I was playing to my friends that would be allowed, even if it directly competed with ping - because that is all supported functionality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Do you really believe Apple suddenly got the idea to build a billion dollar cloud service and give it away for free because of this developer?

Did I ever say I did? Or are you quoting me because you're agreeing with me? I'm confused
  • Reply 57 of 116
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

I think the point is that when they bring out the iPhone 5 they don't want to keep making the iPhone 3GS, but the iPhone 4 may not be suited to the low cost segment due to the intrinsically expensive construction and materials.

So we may see eventually an update to the 3GS that keeps the plastic enclosure but updates the internals, in much the same way as the MacBook is pretty much the same as a MacBook Pro but is just built of less expensive materials.

+1

I think this is a strong possibility.
  • Reply 58 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

-- Top of the line - ip4

I am thinking a new low-cost model -- so there is some product differentiation, lower manufacturing costs, and higher manufacturing capacity.

Where I don't have any clue is how/what Apple determines the minimum capabilities and capacities for a low-cost model.

Quote:

Quote:

-- shared data

-- One-stop shopping

Isn't that all up to the carriers?

It always has been -- but that doesn't mean it cannot change.

Remember how ATT changed VoiceMail to cater to the original iPhone.

I believe Apple has more negotiating power with the carriers than any single competitor.

I believe Apple has some exclusive offerings (planned and currently available) that give it great negotiating power:

For example Apple's online and Stick and Stucco stores. Currently, when you go to upgrade to a new iPhone you are given a flat Yes or No ($299 vs $499), based on your contract date. How about Apple suggests to the carrier: "Why don't we find a way in Apple Stores (supported by you the carrier) to give the customer what he wants -- prorate the contract, eliminate ETFs, and encourage sign-up and hand-me-down of the older model as a working iPhone (instead of a SIMless iPhone serving as an iPod Touch).

So, the above customer pays, maybe, $399 and gives the older model to his child.

So, the customer who wants to buy now, is given a way to do so -- rather than being told: "No iPhone for you today -- you must wait".

That's just Sales 101.

Also, Apple has a lot of services (and presumably much more coming) that consume bandwidth -- exactly what the carriers are selling and making profits on. Apple could negotiate with the carriers to provide more of these services in exchange for reduced data charges and higher (or eliminated) caps.

As an illustration:

Apple: Our new iPhone Nano only has 8 GB SDD, so we want to encourage users to redownload songs and apps from the iTunes stores whenever needed -- over 3G as well as WiFi. How about we, Apple, reimburse you, the carrier, $.01 for each song and $.05 for each app our customers download over your 3G.

Now, there's a snowball's chance that the above would happen -- but there are things that Apple can do for the carriers to the benefit of customers, carriers and Apple, alike.

Quote:

iCloud will only reduce the storage capacity requirement. But I am not sure to what extent. The way I see it iCloud is more about (multiple) device and content management, and about making future purchase decision lean towards Apple, whether that be a computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone, and less about catering to new customers on a limited budget.

I agree... what we know about iCloud today. But, if that's all there is, I doubt that Apple would have bothered. iCloud is currently WiFi only -- but I suspect that plans are in place for cell radio support.

Also what about streaming content -- I suspect we will see that within a year after the iCloud roll out.
  • Reply 59 of 116
    I guess I was confused by your statement and checking on what you meant.

Quote:

Did I ever say I did? Or are you quoting me because you're agreeing with me? I'm confused

• Reply 60 of 116
    Quote:

Exactly!

Maybe, the entry iPhone has an A4 (256 RAM) and no retina display -- hardware/cost tradeoffs based on the anticipated usage of the target market.

At the end of a model period (not necessarily a year) the older model of iP and iPEntry will be offered at a discount until stock runs out -- instead of continued manufacturing of last-years model.

The release of iP and iPEntry could be staggered if there were advantages to doing so.