Apple's Back to School' Promo starts tomorrow, offers $100 iTunes Gift Card

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple figures that anyone who wants an iPod already has one. Sales have been declining since the iPhone's launch. And what better way to spur on Mac App Store/iTunes Store/iOS App Store purchases?

I agree. If you don't have an iPod my now you really aren't going to get one. The popularity of the iPhone makes having an ipod touch kinda useless too.

I however, wouldn't mind having an iPod Touch though to replace my old iPod.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

The popularity of the iPhone makes having an ipod touch kinda useless too.

The iPod touch is still selling well I think and there are quite a few people who don't want to be tied to a contract. It makes no sense for Apple to be giving those away for free.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It might be that the product is unattractive enough that you need to throw in a separate game system to make it worthwhile.

I don't think it is this at all. It is actually seems like a very intelligent marketing strategy. Windows 7 will have Xbox Live integrated into the OS. You can also access Xbox Live via Windows phones. Why not offer students an Xbox now and get them utilizing a service that links all of their electronics? It's a plan that has the ability to offer customers services that they would lose if they purchase any Apple device.

And to everyone who keeps saying "quit complaining...you're getting something for free so buy your Mac and shutup" are either (1) not in school (and swimming in student debt) or (2) not the parent of a student in school. Apple is a premium brand. Like any premium brand, you are paying quite a chunk of change for the name. I've exclusively used Apple products for the past 7 years and these deals are one of the ways I can justify paying (at times) 2x the price for a comparable PC.

I was the lucky recipient of a very nice Apple gift card after I paid an arm and a leg for an iPhone the day it came out. Why can't we get an Apple gift card instead of an iTunes card (and make it $200 vs. $100)? Otherwise I'll probably choose to save close to $300 by picking the Toshiba Portege R835-P56X over the MacBook Pro 13" (and please don't give the tired "but PCs always break and Macs never do" fallacy...I've had my iMac's display and graphics board replaced three times in two years, but I've still been a loyal customer)
  • Reply 44 of 83
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

That deal sucks...

fcuk

it suck big time

dam sam

• Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Students get a pretty good deal anyway with Educational pricing. Apple does not need to give away an additional $229 (price of an 8GB iPod touch) to sell a MacBook to them.

Students can now get a white MacBook for $799 ($899 less $100 iTunes card) or a 13" low-end MacBook Pro for $999 ($1099 less $100 iTunes card).

That's a good deal !!

dude all those ipod touches feed a lot of families and gave dozens of pies of pizza too school kids

it wont taste the same

• Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:

You absolutely have this right. To suggest that buying a computer is only worth it if it comes with a free iPod, however, is abject nonsense.

Your sarcastic tone aside, yes, this should be done.

Indeed. Today's youth.

abject nonsense.

great line

• Reply 47 of 83
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksmith22 View Post

This deal does suck. I usually took the ipod, put it on amazon, and would have a sale within an hour.

As did many and i'm sure Apple knows this. Combine that with a potential lack of iPod overstocked due to the Japan earthquake and a lack of continued need to lure kids to Mac with the free iPod and he change makes sense.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Eve though this deal is not as good as the free iPod touch, it is good to know that some of this $100 is going to third party iOS and Mac developers.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Though $100 credit is not really $100 value. Those cards routinely sell for 25-50% off their face value in brick and mortar stores.

To the user, sure, but the B&M prices aren't always a good guide, I wouldn't be surprised if those cards are treated as loss-leaders at those discounts, assuming they're real.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    This sounds to me more like getting more apple ids signed up. iCloud is just around the corner.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

To the user, sure, but the B&M prices aren't always a good guide, I wouldn't be surprised if those cards are treated as loss-leaders at those prices, assuming they're real.

I can confirm that they're real, frequent enough to be considered the "actual" price and not tied to any purchase.

http://www.giftcardsonsale.com.au/calendar/

Disclosure: I have no connection with the above website.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emericaous View Post

Why can't we get an Apple gift card instead of an iTunes card (and make it $200 vs. $100)? Otherwise I'll probably choose to save close to $300 by picking the blah blah blah blah over the MacBook Pro 13" (and please don't give the tired "but PCs always break and Macs never do" fallacy...

This is exactly how my mind reads posts of this nature. If you indicated you were turning the random Toshsamsonydell thingy into a hackintosh you would have a point worth making.

It's not that Macbooks don't go horribly awry, because they certainly do from time to time, it's that volunteering to use Windows software feels like volunteering to have a frontal lobotomy.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I can confirm that they're real, frequent enough to be considered the "actual" price and not tied to any purchase.

http://www.giftcardsonsale.com.au/calendar/

Disclosure: I have no connection with the above website.

Loss leaders don't mean that it's tied to a purchase (can be, but not required), what it means is that it's a tool used to get you to visit their store, in the hopes you buy something else profitable enough to make up for the loss on the item that led you to the store.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    blowabsblowabs Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

That deal sucks...

+1!

a gift card that $100 of it goes right back to Apple........or....does it even leave Apple???!!!

;-[
  • Reply 55 of 83
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

Apple figures that anyone who wants an iPod already has one. Sales have been declining since the iPhone's launch. And what better way to spur on Mac App Store/iTunes Store/iOS App Store purchases?

Apple was bundling an iPod touch not an iPod. There are no iOS Store purchases with a Mac laptop but an iPod touch generates a lot of iOS Store purchases. Also, with a Mac and iPod touch you are recruiting a huge number of iOS developers, especially at colleges that offer iOS development classes (like Stanford).

I suppose it is possible Apple hopes to generate more apps for the Mac App Store with marginally fewer developers distracted by the iOS option. There was a disappointingly low percentage of new iOS developers who also developed for the Mac at WWDC.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    I think I will buy a PC, get the free XBox.... then sell the PC unopened and put that money towards the new Macbook Air when its released, and get the $100 iTunes credit...
  • Reply 57 of 83
    That's sad to hear; I was actually waiting for the 'Get a Mac and get a free iPT deal'. An iPT is worth 250 in Canada; switching this freebie for a $100 gift card is just a bummer. I wished they would give out $200 gift cards instead. But oh well, I have to get a Mac for school, might as well get it now before they cancel any promotion next year.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Why not a free Apple TV? I bet a lot of dorm rooms could use one of those.

I like that idea. Why not both an AppleTV and gift card. When you consider that 30% goes back to Apple that $100 gift card isn't costing them much at all. Adding an AppleTV for the Summer would give a huge boost in presence before the SDK drops.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by X-Men View Post

I guess Apple is really past the point where they are interested in courting the newbie and gaining new converts!

50% are new to Macs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by X-Men View Post

...nice to know that opinions can be expressed without fear of reprisal or condescension! Jerk.

You started off being jerk so you shouldn't be surprised when by the responses.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

I hope it's at least a gift card that isn't linked to my Apple account, so I can sell it online or something.

And I needed a new iTouch, my old one is dying.

F***.

I'm in the same situation. Wanted new iPod touch. My first gen's battery dies too quickly. I was planning on getting the 32GB model so it wouldn't have been free.

Anyone want to buy an iTunes gift card? lol

Will definitely be selling it as soon as I get it.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Quote:

This is exactly how my mind reads posts of this nature. If you indicated you were turning the random Toshsamsonydell thingy into a hackintosh you would have a point worth making.

It's not that Macbooks don't go horribly awry, because they certainly do from time to time, it's that volunteering to use Windows software feels like volunteering to have a frontal lobotomy.

Oh, thanks for the laugh.

All I can say is that after working on PC's all day, I appreciate coming home to my Mac even more.