Apple's Back to School' Promo starts tomorrow, offers $100 iTunes Gift Card

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    x-menx-men Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like that idea. Why not both an AppleTV and gift card. When you consider that 30% goes back to Apple that $100 gift card isn't costing them much at all. Adding an AppleTV for the Summer would give a huge boost in presence before the SDK drops.

50% are new to Macs.

You started off being jerk so you shouldn't be surprised when by the responses.

Was it the part about my being disappointed that labelled me a jerk? Did you read my post? I simply expressed disappointment in what is a comparatively weak promotion. Heaven forbid! Are you an Apple moderator?
  • Reply 62 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X-Men View Post

Was it the part about my being disappointed that labelled me a jerk? Did you read my post? I simply expressed disappointment in what is a comparatively weak promotion. Heaven forbid! Are you an Apple moderator?

We've already covered this, I would think. Let's try not to bring it up again.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    It is about the ecosystem. I don't play many X-Box games (as I got my system as a gift). The gift, however, changed my intention to buy an Apple TV as all the same functionality in terms of syncing with my Mac and watching things like X-Box is built in.

I do enjoy Kinect Sports (another gift).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Some people are talking about $100 as if it represents a years salary or as if we were living in a third world country. If these frugally minded people go with the free Xbox offer, how will these people ever afford to buy any games, the good ones are pretty pricey and they might be stuck with an Xbox without a single game to play on it if they choose to go that route.

• Reply 64 of 83
    After more than 30 years of using exclusively Apple products and raising my family on them, we will have to be buying 3 pcs (yecch) instead of the 3 macbook pros we had been intending to buy when Apple did its normal ipod promo. We do not need or want anything form the app store so this promo is useless to us and the competition's back to school offer is just too great. If only we could use the $100 coupon towards ipods, Apple would not be losing 3 good lifetime customers. More actually, because we all like to be compatible on our platforms and the rest of us will be migrating eventually too.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiulani View Post

After more than 30 years of using exclusively Apple products and raising my family on them, we will have to be buying 3 pcs (yecch) instead of the 3 macbook pros we had been intending to buy when Apple did its normal ipod promo.

So the computers are completely worthless to you. Great, you're not who Apple wants to sell to, anyway.

Quote:

We do not need or want anything form the app store

What about the iTunes store? The iOS App Store? The iBookstore? Because this works EVERYWHERE.

Quote:

Apple would not be losing 3 good lifetime customers.

Enjoy Windows 7. Remember: Windows Was Your Idea.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Though $100 credit is not really $100 value. Those cards routinely sell for 25-50% off their face value in brick and mortar stores.

They don't sell for that online, are you saying that B&M stores are cheaper than the online retailers like game-cards.eu? Who is selling them for 50 cents on the dollar? I'll get a friend to go buy me some.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    I support Apple, but for all the Apple sycophants (who if Steve Jobs raised all prices by 150% would find a way to say it's a good move) this deal does stink. You say they don't have to give anything - true, but you can't go from giving away a $200+ item (iPod touch) that has multple uses (email, music, video, Internet, games, etc.) to a lousy gift card. iPod sales may be down, but I think touch sales are still respectable and if they want to continue competing with Nintendo and Sony the touch needs to keep being promoted. Not everyone wants or needs an iPhone. I guess if your job bonus gets cut in half you don't feel cheated cuz they don't 'have' to give you anything, or if you go to your favorite eatery and the manager gives a buy one get one half price but then change it to get a free coffee you don't mind. If Apple sets a pattern they should stick to it, at least give a free Nano or as someone else said a $200 gift card. $100 is not going to sway anyone on the fence about buying one.

All IMO!
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

you can't go from giving away a $200+ item (iPod touch) that has multple uses (email, music, video, Internet, games, etc.) to a lousy gift card.

Sure, you can. Apple just did.

Quote:

iPod sales may be down, but I think touch sales are still respectable and if they want to continue competing with Nintendo and Sony the touch needs to keep being promoted.

What does that do for sales? They're not competing with Nintendo and Sony. Not directly.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

After more than 30 years of using exclusively Apple products and raising my family on them, we will have to be buying 3 pcs (yecch) instead of the 3 macbook pros we had been intending to buy when Apple did its normal ipod promo. We do not need or want anything form the app store so this promo is useless to us and the competition's back to school offer is just too great. If only we could use the $100 coupon towards ipods, Apple would not be losing 3 good lifetime customers. More actually, because we all like to be compatible on our platforms and the rest of us will be migrating eventually too.

I'm skeptical of the assertion that you're a lifetime customer of Apple, and then you're going to split because their promotional deal isn't as good as you'd like. What did you do before Apple even made iPods? Also, as noted elsewhere, "iTunes" money can be used on ebooks, iOS apps, Mac apps, music, movies, ring tones and probably other things.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What does that do for sales? They're not competing with Nintendo and Sony. Not directly.

Then why does Jobs like to point out how the touch sales and gaming app numbers and features in comparison to Nintendo & Sony if he doesn't want the touch to compete with the Game Boy/DS and PSP? To me the touch does compete.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple figures that anyone who wants an iPod already has one. Sales have been declining since the iPhone's launch. And what better way to spur on Mac App Store/iTunes Store/iOS App Store purchases?

Fan Boi/Employee alert. A BETTER way to do this promotion would be to offer the discount on an iPad equal in value to the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Given Amazon's prices - and this garbage promo. It may, in some cases, be cheaper to pay the Amazon price sans the tax. If you buy through the Apple store you still pay tax.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THEETRUTHTELLER View Post

Fan Boi/Employee alert.

It's funny how little (read: none) of that quoted material is 'fanboyish'.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    LOL. You do understand you do actually have to use the PCs after you buy them? I am subjected to a Dell running Windows 7 at work. Not much fun. You will lose all the benefits of iCloud.

Apple already gives education customers a break. It isn't giving iPods away this year most likely because it doesn't need to clear inventory. Apple once gave me four hundred dollars off a Power Mac and threw in a free 17 inch monitor. I was very happy with Apple. I certainly haven't held it against Apple that I wasn't given this offer every year.

With all that said, I can see some college students going for the free X-Box.

Quote:

• Reply 75 of 83
    jonpijonpi Posts: 2member
    Yes, Apple doesn't have to give away an iPod Touch. But it's still disappointing. Last year we held off on buying a new Mac during the summer promotion because we couldn't afford it. This year is my wife's final year in school, and we had budgeted all year to take advantage of Apple's back-to-school promotion. (We had one of our iPods stolen.) But it's just not the same getting a $100 iTunes/App Store gift card ... especially if we buy the Mac after Lion comes out. We just don't need $100 worth of iTunes/App Store stuff. We could have used a $100 Apple gift card, though, or maybe a free year of One-to-One membership or Apple Care.

And the Apple education discount isn't that good. For most models you can find similar or better pricing from places such as Mac Mall or Macconnectiion. So just like Apple doesn't have to give away an iPod Touch, we don't have to buy directly from Apple to get a new Mac. So we'll be buying from an online store where get a better price and aren't charged sales tax. It will end up being a better deal than the back-to-school promotion. So what Apple saves on switching from an iPod Touch to a gift card it will lose on not selling the Mac directly.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:

Well folks, Apple "wannabe" newbie here - I had been waiting to purchase my 1st ever Mac for the past 6 months. I have been reading the forum on this site and a few others and researching Macs, and had come to the decision to wait until the Back to school promotion, as two of my siblings had got free ipods over the past two years.

I was getting impatient, as the deal seemed delayed compared to previous years, and grew very excited at the news that an announcement was just around the corner.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the announcement - I own neither a Mac nor an ipod, and was really looking forward to entering the world of Apple. A $100 itunes card is not the sort of enticement I had been expecting, and I will now probably wait a full year to see if a better deal is offered - or perhaps even go with the much more affordable PC option, which I had been sure I would not do.

I guess Apple is really past the point where they are interested in courting the newbie and gaining new converts!

\

Seriously, get a real job if you don't have one, buy a Mac and enjoy a good machine. Do you go bargain hunting for the cheapest used Kia and demand a free Big Mac and indoor A/C unit when you shop for a car?
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Seriously, get a real job if you don't have one, buy a Mac and enjoy a good machine. Do you go bargain hunting for the cheapest used Kia and demand a free Big Mac and indoor A/C unit when you shop for a car?

Actually, i am a Subaru man, but if the car dealership had thrown one in for the past 5 years, I guess I would expect one of each to come my way. Seriously, you can't tell me that you don;t like to get a good deal, and that you have never walked away from a deal that was less than you expected it to be!

Remove the Apple slices from your eyes, or wherever else they might be lodged, and wake up! Apples latest promotion is half of what it has been the past 5 years. If you are fine with that, you are either too wealthy for it to matter, or too blinded by Apple-speak to understand when you are being "corporated".

I know Apple is a great product, but is it too much to hope for some savings that have been offered to customers in the past? Sheesh! Get off your high horse.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

Seriously, you can't tell me that... ...you have never walked away from a deal that was less than you expected it to be

Yes. I can. What's your point?

Quote:

Remove the Apple slices from your eyes, or wherever else they might be lodged, and wake up!

You're far more anti-Apple than anyone to whom you've responded is pro-Apple.

Quote:

you are either too wealthy for it to matter, or too blinded by Apple-speak

Or couldn't care less about the promotion at all. Or don't even want an iPod. Or...
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tallest skil View Post

yes. I can. What's your point?you would not get it if it hit you in the forehead.

You're far more anti-apple than anyone to whom you've responded is pro-apple. I am not anti apple in the slightest - i am just anti-their latest back to school promotion

or couldn't care less about the promotion at all. Or don't even want an ipod. Or...

then why do you care how others feel about this promotion?
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:

then why do you care how others feel about this promotion?

Your wrongful sense of entitlement harms Apple's image online and in the real world. It's wrong.