First Nokia smartphones running Windows Phone 7 to arrive later this year

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's probably not going to be confused for an iPod nano very often. But still, a good amount of the design language appear to be lifted from the previous nano,

You mean the 5th gen? Hmm, only very vaguely - flat with rounded edges versus completely elliptical is pretty different at least to me. So yes it's basic shape is that of a 6th gen, but aside from the flat ends it doesn't remotely resemble a 5th gen.

Quote:

I can see people thinking it's an Apple product, even if it's not going to be mistaken for the product that "inspired" the design.

I really can't because the two things that dominate the look are the solid colour and the protruding curved screen - one of which Apple hasn't done in a decade and the other it hasn't done at all. I would agree that it's inspired by Apple in some elements, but it's definitely not a samsung style slavish copy.

Edit: side on the resemblance to the nano-6gen is far less

• Reply 42 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's probably not going to be confused for an iPod nano very often. But still, a good amount of the design language appear to be lifted from the previous nano, I can see people thinking it's an Apple product, even if it's not going to be mistaken for the product that "inspired" the design.

I can see the similarities and the Nano is the first design I thought of she seeing the edges up close, but I can't see anything about the device's "look and feel" that would be a legal issue where what Samsung did is very blatant.

I think the Nokia N9 is a sharp looking device all around. I think some of the animations feel really slick. My concerns are that Meego is apparently used which I thought Nokia was deprecating. If they aren't, and Meego looks as advanced as it is, they what's all this crap with WP7?
  • Reply 43 of 46
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My concerns are that Meego is apparently used which I thought Nokia was deprecating. If they aren't, and Meego looks as advanced as it is, they what's all this crap with WP7?

Nokia seems to be keeping the door to Meego ajar, maybe to leverage concessions out of MS. But yeh - sadly it seems a deadend at this point.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Nokia seems to be keeping the door to Meego ajar, maybe to leverage concessions out of MS. But yeh - sadly it seems a deadend at this point.

After seeing the N9 I'm debating buying Nokia stock. There MS association and this Meego deadened make me suspect. If they had this in the works why didn't they just keep MS out and release this to the world when it's ready. I think they would have shook up the smartphone market and reinforced their fan base that Nokia shouldn't be counted out.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:

After seeing the N9 I'm debating buying Nokia stock. There MS association and this Meego deadened make me suspect. If they had this in the works why didn't they just keep MS out and release this to the world when it's ready. I think they would have shook up the smartphone market and reinforced their fan base that Nokia shouldn't be counted out.

Is it possible that they might sell different phones with different OSs? More than one product line? I thought that they released phones that were both java based and symbian based at the same time.

Is it hard to believe that they will sell both MicroSloth and MeeGO phones?
  • Reply 46 of 46
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

I think the Nokia N9 is a sharp looking device all around. I think some of the animations feel really slick. My concerns are that Meego is apparently used which I thought Nokia was deprecating. If they aren't, and Meego looks as advanced as it is, they what's all this crap with WP7?

I thought you read my posts.

Platforms Solipsism... it's all about platforms. Cloud enabled platforms even.

Over the coming years you can't just look at new devices in isolation, you need to look at them as a part of an overall computing platform.

How it interacts with other devices is more important than how a device works by itself.

Microsoft may be successful with their whole "three screens and the cloud" bit, or they may not, but at least they're a player.

Nokia by themselves with Symbian or Meego, isn't.

Either is RIM.

HP/Palm is questionable, but I think they still have a few cards up their sleeves.