Apple's 'directional audio' concept is like multitouch for the ears

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has worked on "directional audio" technology, specifically employed as an audio user interface, allowing users to make selections and navigate menus based on audio cues in a three-dimensional surround sound environment.

The concept was revealed this week in a new patent application made public by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office named "Directional Audio Interface for Portable Media Device." Discovered by AppleInsider, the filing shows Apple's interest in creating advanced portable devices and accompanying headphones to augment the user interface of the device.

The concept includes one or more "audible control nodes," which are perceived by the user through sound to be located at different points around them. Like the multitouch interface Apple popularized with the iPhone, it's a new twist on an existing way to interact with a portable device, far more advanced than the Voice Over controls featured on the iPod touch.

Apple's application notes that in some contexts, such as driving or running, a user may need to interact with their device in a non-visual manner. While simple actions such as pressing an on/off switch or skipping to the next track may be relatively simple, more complex actions like searching for a particular media file are too difficult to accomplish without visual feedback.

The solution proposed by Apple is an "alternative user interface" that could supplement a device like an iPhone or iPod, allowing users the ability to interact with and control without seeing. This would be accomplished in part through audible cues to the user delivered in a three-dimensional space.

When an option is presented to a user, it could be selected by physically moving the portable device in the direction of the "audible control node." In essence, a user would hear a sound from a particular location via their headphones, and would point a motion-detecting device like an iPhone in that direction to select it.

The application notes that with binaural output to a user through a stereo headset, a portable device can reproduce "spatially distinct" sounds. Coupled with a motion sensor in the device, this audio-based user interface would supplement or perhaps even replace a visual user interface.

Menu items could be presented in a variety of forms, including synthesized text-to-speech, recorded speech, or samples of recorded music. Audio cues could also be played back sequentially or all at once.

Apple's patent application, made public this week, was first filed in December of 2009. It is credited to Aram Lindahl and Richard Powell.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    WTF are they just trying to patent anything now even if its a completely dumb idea. So you hear the menu and move your device in the direction of where it sounds like it is, why not just press a button when you hear the menu item you want.

I will be impressed though if they release a device they can interpret me moving the divice in the direction to select something whilst running and changing direction.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    This is wild stuff. Never heard of anything like it. Innovation at its finest.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    So essentially it's Google's Voice actions, Applefied and patented.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

WTF are they just trying to patent anything now even if its a completely dumb idea. So you hear the menu and move your device in the direction of where it sounds like it is, why not just press a button when you hear the menu item you want.

I will be impressed though if they release a device they can interpret me moving the divice in the direction to select something whilst running and changing direction.

Perhaps you are not... so the innovation is lost on you.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Hardly... Read the text of the patent. These are not voice controls.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

No, because google voice actions are controlling the phone by voice. This apparently is control with the accelerometer, with sound as the display.

It's a bizarre idea, and I can't see how it would work in practice, but it's definitely not google voice actions.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huskydsl View Post

Hardly... Read the text of the patent. These are not voice controls.

I see. It's using different types of cues, and not solely factoring in voice.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

No. This is clearly a rip-off of Gmail Motion.

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/motion.html
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I remember that....and all the angry comments on how google just thrown away a perfectly good idea. good times(april fools)
  • Reply 10 of 33
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

You're right! Unbelievable! Hail Google, great invention, looking forward to this.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Quote:

why not just press a button when you hear the menu item you want.

Because there is only one button and it doesn't do that.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    jhende7jhende7 Posts: 62member
    Quote:

The utility and practicality of this method for individuals with vision or speech inhibitors was apparently lost on you.

The "lets think of ourselves" mentality at its finest!
  • Reply 13 of 33
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    They'll try anything. This is of course, dumb.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

It's not that either. Google motion is a set of gestures that control the computer, essentially a form of sign-language used to control a regular screen device with no keyboard or less keyboard - this replaces both screen and keyboard.

It's distinctly different.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    This will be great for drivers, so they can keep their eyes on the road while flailing their arms about and crashing into stuff.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It's distinctly different.

How is it that folks on this board cant see the obvious differences between what they think its like, and what this is?

Is it because they dont read before commenting, or because they lack basic critical thinking skills?
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

You're right! Unbelievable! Hail Google, great invention, looking forward to this.

If google was smart, one of the ICS features would technically allow this to be plausible. But like most things I'm guessing Google will miss the first time around, like with the ability to natively manage apps >_>.

Forgive me if I detect huge amounts of sarcasm in your post, nothing personal.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

How is it that folks on this board cant see the obvious differences between what they think its like, and what this is?

Is it because they dont read before commenting, or because they lack basic critical thinking skills?

Dunno - but I do think it's interesting that Google Motion is effectively voice control for deaf people, and Apple have now patented what is kinda like a mouse for the blind.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Forgive me if I detect huge amounts of sarcasm in your post, nothing personal.[/QUOTE]

Probably more amusement than sarcasm (but no offence taken!). I just thought this is a really funny page from Google. Although this is a very clear joke from Google, this doesn't necessarily mean they are not working on something serious with these kind of gestures.

Also if you are watching the accompanying videos and this wife: 'we are made for kill' - really very funny!
  • Reply 20 of 33
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    This is pretty sweet for Universal Accessibility

I don't know how well it will work with earbuds... Large driver over the ear headphones really make a difference with binaural output..