Apple confirms iCloud to retain web apps, but ax iDisk and iWeb

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    I'm a very heavy iDisk user. The information I'm reading about it being axed is totally contradictory to what an Apple support representative told me the day iCloud become official. I should have kept the chat log. The ability to look at documents from any device really became indispensable for me. I can only hope that the "Documents" feature they are referring to is means the same thing. I'm not a fan of the other 3rd-party options like drop box or carbonite. I'm keeping my fingers crossed more info is not being divulged just yet, but I will certainly be backing up all me data soon!
  • Reply 22 of 90
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmac25 View Post

But, who will make updates and fixes to iWeb? I doubt Apple will do this. iWeb is not the best app out their but for ease of use, it is very good. I do not want to learn to program or code, I just want to have a simple, easy to use website building app.

Amen. Someone needs to start a campaign. If they can get Apple to change their minds on the hardware screen lock button on iPad, maybe an organized effort by iWeb users can change this decision. Apple products are "for the rest of us." And the rest of us want personal websites that you don't need a degree in computer science to manage.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    ruckerzruckerz Posts: 58member
    So I iCloud has no way of storing arbitrary files? I imagine the sync services are wrapped behind some kind of Cocoa framework bummer.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    I use iWeb extensively in my real estate business. It's simple, it's integrated with iPhoto and is wonderful. I think Apple looks at it that people just aren't creating personal websites anymore. Facebook has won that battle.

I will keep using iWeb as long as I can. I don't like, Freeway or RapidWeaver and find Adobe's offerings have to steep a learning curve.

I think, from what I've heard is that it will still work in Lion, correct?

Best
  • Reply 25 of 90
    Maybe it's time for us iWeb users to buy a Mac Mini Server, a back up power supply, pay our ISPs for a little more bandwidth, and host our own sites!
  • Reply 26 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I think, from what I've heard is that it will still work in Lion, correct?

All indications are yes.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You people are acting like iWeb will stop working.

What's wrong with you? Apple just isn't doing any site hosting anymore. Your websites can still be sent to any FTP ANYWHERE using ANY other hosting straight from iWeb itself.

But with loss of all the scripts included in the apple hosting for iweb that aren't output with your files for the FTP server, so image gallery scripts, blog scripts, commenting will all be lost.

I think people who don't understand the power of iWeb on Apple hosting don't realise what a great solution this was.

I will miss it badly and hope that Apple are withdrawing it because something new is on the way, not because they're abandoning iWeb's user base.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    jschaujschau Posts: 3member
    Question to self - how many times do I have to get burned by Apple's insane web adventures before I finally give up. The records shows that if I once again transition to iCloud I'll be burned within two years.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post

Sadly I am one of those 15. Loved iWeb for ease of maintaining blog on own domain. Hmmm? might be time to finally migrate to a "real" web site builder app...

yeah. try squarespace
  • Reply 30 of 90
    For some of this I think there's a pretty easy transition. DropBox runs circles around iDisk and is accessible on all platforms/devices.

For the comment about iWork. I've been using Google Docs for a lot of light word processing, spreadsheets and forms. It's great, easy to use, easy to share (as long as all the parties have a google account) and I can start a document in one location and finish it in another with no problems.

iWeb however - that's a different story. I think it would be a good post somewhere to make of other good free, easy-to-use web hosting sites. Personally I've been playing around a bunch w/ Googles Sites (sites.google.com), and it pulls together a lot of difference pieces of their web efforts. I'll probably move my sites over there. If someone has another options, or a better option, I'm game with that.... suggestions?
  • Reply 31 of 90
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Apple is making a laughing stock out of themselves - how do you have an "iCloud" service with no iDisk or iWeb? It's just a poor man's version of Sugar Sync except you only get to sync a few selected proprietary file formats. The Dropbox touts will say just use Dropbox but keep in mind that the cheapest paid Dropbox option (that gives you more than 2 GB) is $99 per year and that's just to replace iDisk. While Mr Jobs took some shots at Mobile Me to tout iCloud, I hope he realizes that he's alienating thousands of customers to pursue this half baked iCloud service that will end up embarrassing Apple even more than Mobile Me did.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Well it sounds like iWeb as a tool is being sidelined/killed too (no update in the last iLife), so you may not want to plan on that as your authoring solution long-term.

Why? It's not like it will change. You can use TextEdit as a long-term authoring tool, for heaven's sake. I code all of my sites by hand in TextEdit or with Coda.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmac25 View Post

But, who will make updates and fixes to iWeb? I doubt Apple will do this. iWeb is not the best app out their but for ease of use, it is very good. I do not want to learn to program or code, I just want to have a simple, easy to use website building app.

SO KEEP USING IT.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I loved the easy use of iWeb. Maybe Apple will add this component later. I don't see why they would care how we used our allotment of space, whether documents or iWeb sites.

The integration with iPhoto was super snazzy.

Something will replace it, no doubt. iCloud will be version 1. By version 3 or 4, it will be refined with even more features than we can imagine today.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    iDisk was the main reason I subscribed to MobileMe. It's good iCloud is going to be free cause I wouldn't pay for a service that didn't allow me to stash files for access nearly anywhere.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Maybe it's time for us iWeb users to buy a Mac Mini Server, a back up power supply, pay our ISPs for a little more bandwidth, and host our own sites!

All a good idea except for the Mac Mini part.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

All a good idea except for the Mac Mini part.

Why so? I don't run a big enterprise.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    wooliewoolie Posts: 34member
    APPLE BREAKING FAITH AGAIN!!! I was excited about iCloud until your announcement of iweb, idisk and gallery are biting the dust... The numerous hours invested gone up in smoke... Thank goodness for Drop Box it's simplicity is awesome... But replacing the iweb, which is wonderful for the simple minded was great gift to non geeks... And far more importantly it was integrated into the Apple family... The reason I divorced myself from Microsoft after 25 years is their products quit working well after they were "upgraded"... And they lost the concept of product integration... Now Apple seems to be going the same way... Telling us to go to some other company for iweb etc makes one distrustful of Apple's future...
  • Reply 38 of 90
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Just another sign that Apple's on the move to cut out business/creative pros. No iDisk means I'll have to look elsewhere for sharing large files with my clients as others have stated. The new Final Cut Pro er iMovie Pro is a joke too. Little by little Apple's cutting out the people who believed in them in the beginning when they catered to the creative pros. It's really sad, but I know it all comes down to the bottom line. I wish that they'd just fail already, so I can move on, but I'll admit my Apple addiction.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    wooliewoolie Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple is making a laughing stock out of themselves - how do you have an "iCloud" service with no iDisk or iWeb? It's just a poor man's version of Sugar Sync except you only get to sync a few selected proprietary file formats. The Dropbox touts will say just use Dropbox but keep in mind that the cheapest paid Dropbox option (that gives you more than 2 GB) is $99 per year and that's just to replace iDisk. While Mr Jobs took some shots at Mobile Me to tout iCloud, I hope he realizes that he's alienating thousands of customers to pursue this half baked iCloud service that will end up embarrassing Apple even more than Mobile Me did.

They fixed Mobile Me by loping off the things that WORKED!!!! I failing to see the beauty of iCloud when hundreds of hours of work are tossed in the trash...
  • Reply 40 of 90
    Count me as another faithful iWeb user now saddened and concerned about my future blogging and posting.