Apple confirms iCloud to retain web apps, but ax iDisk and iWeb

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What proprietary file formats are you talking about?

iCloud will sync any applications that uses the service.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple is making a laughing stock out of themselves - how do you have an "iCloud" service with no iDisk or iWeb? It's just a poor man's version of Sugar Sync except you only get to sync a few selected proprietary file formats.

• Reply 82 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Some of you are getting way too emotional about this. Even to the point of loosing perspective about it all.

Apple is a business. They aren't making these choices arbitrarily. They have to critically and honestly at what direction they want to go in and what suites their needs best.

In making these choices Apple looked at its competition for these services. Looked at what direction its all headed in. And had to make a choice if they are willing to invest the money and resources needed to compete.

Perhaps they could see that because of Facebook people have less need to build personal web space. From a business and resource standpoint the very few people that do build personal web space are not worth it.

They look at services like dropbox. Apple decides dropbox does what it does better than iDisk. From a business standpoint its not worth it for us to invest what is needed to compete with dropbox.

We will focus our cloud service down to what we can do best.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    wooliewoolie Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Some of you are getting way too emotional about this. Even to the point of loosing perspective about it all.

Apple is a business. They aren't making these choices arbitrarily. They have to critically and honestly at what direction they want to go in and what suites their needs best.

In making these choices Apple looked at its competition for these services. Looked at what direction its all headed in. And had to make a choice if they are willing to invest the money and resources needed to compete.

Perhaps they could see that because of Facebook people have less need to build personal web space. From a business and resource standpoint the very few people that do build personal web space are not worth it.

They look at services like dropbox. Apple decides dropbox does what it does better than iDisk. From a business standpoint its not worth it for us to invest what is needed to compete with dropbox.

We will focus our cloud service down to what we can do best.

Apple arrogance... You hit the nail right on the head by what you said, "what suites their needs best." I worked for a corporation, much larger than Apple who changed from customer focus to company focus... The company lost its reputation, customers and is still struggling... An upstart company came out of nowhere and trounced them... They have never regained their #1 position...

Reason I moved to Apple after 25 years with Microsoft was their blind arrogance in how they treated their customers... They got rid of products that worked & replaced them with absolute crap software... Spent endless hours on their tech support lines trying to get simple things to work...

I'm on Facebook, there is no comparison to Apple software... Read the reports, people are leaving it by the hundreds of thousands the last couple of months...

Bottom line is Apple is moving the stuff in Mobile Me that didn't work well to iCloud and axing those things that did work... Untold hours of people's work go in the toilet...

What Apple use to do best was customer focus... Move over Microsoft, Apple is taking your place...

Why did I come to Apple... Their software was simple & seamless...
  • Reply 84 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Like I said, it's just a link. Just right click the link and save file, or open it and save. Who cares where you receive it through? You don't have to go to Dropbox website just to download the file someone sent to you, if that's what you meant.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5437895/amelie%20f.jpg

That's not a hotlink. This is a hotlink:

You could have provided a smaller image...

Now, if anyone with a Dropbox account can do that, with 10000 hits a day for a month (MobileMe could do it), and for all file type (not just images), then I'll surrender and say you're right. I really hope you are.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    iDisk gone, now I am severely pissed off.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Now, if anyone with a Dropbox account can do that, with 10000 hits a day for a month (MobileMe could do it), and for all file type (not just images), then I'll surrender and say you're right. I really hope you are.

I'm not a Dropbox saleman or anything but you are just being too suspicious for no reason. Dropbox is the most popular service of its type. It's a harddisk in the cloud so it doesn't matter what file type you'd link or put it there. And people can download your links up to 10GB a day if ypu're a free member or 250 GB a day if you're a premium one. I think it's a great deal.

The only downside is it's not integrated into the OS like iCloud service. It's just a folder. Why don't you check it out for yourself if it's any good for you?

That said I really love for Apple to re-invent iDisk. To have a folder in the cloud where we can share files and join public folders to view other people's files like Dropbox, with the same level of performance of Dropbox. If they'd do that then there is no need for Dropbox for me.
  • Reply 87 of 90
    The loss of Web Gallery and the associated iPhone App will be the one that hits me the hardest. Web Gallery was the way I shared my photos and videos with family and friends in one easy to use site and App. Now what will we have? Nothing. Apple screwed us good with that omission. Apple needs to stop taking away options we currently have and work on adding functionality instead. While many of you likely were content with a flickr account or some other service, they can't match the ease of use Web Gallery had with photos and video. I can understand that Steve is pissed at the MobileMe crew, but there's no need to screw the end user over in the process.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    This is a huge disappointment. I rely heavily on iDisk for image and file hosting and web hosting. The ability to access it directly in the Finder is unmatched to my knowledge. I rely equally heavily on MobileMe Galleries for hosting my amateur photography, a feature that is equally unmatched. One-click publishing to a site that allows full-resolution downloads and private or public galleries is not something that's easy to find.

Are there any alternatives to either of these features?
  • Reply 89 of 90
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Those of us who are complaining need to be heard. Please sign the online petition urging Apple to reverse its decision to ax iWeb hosting on iCloud.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/appleweb/petition.html
  • Reply 90 of 90
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Those of us who are complaining need to be heard. Please sign the online petition urging Apple to reverse its decision to ax iWeb hosting on iCloud.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/appleweb/petition.html

Consider it done.