Apple's iPad contributes 89% of global tablet traffic

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you read the actual report, you'd understand the discrepancy. Comscore said that the iPad accounted for equal to or greater than 89% of tablet traffic across all markets. That means that every single market had the iPad at greater than 89% (with India at 89% and everyone else much higher). It did NOT state that 89% was the global average.

You could have just said that you know. It made your point without accusing me of lying or being an android shill or raping sheep. You're right, I misread that line of the report, 89% is the floor not the average. In my defence they phrased it very badly, had they said 'at least 89% in all markets' they would have been clearer.

I didn't see you acknowledge your mistake though, you were wrong about >98% though. Come to think of it I didn't call you a fanboi or accuse you of lying or being innumerate, but then that's presumably because I'm an evil sheep-screwing lying android shill.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

You could have just said that you know. It made your point without accusing me of lying or being an android shill or raping sheep. You're right, I misread that line of the report, 89% is the floor not the average. In my defence they phrased it very badly, had they said 'at least 89% in all markets' they would have been clearer.

I didn't see you acknowledge your mistake though, you were wrong about >98% though. Come to think of it I didn't call you a fanboi or accuse you of lying or being innumerate, but then that's presumably because I'm an evil sheep-screwing lying android shill.

The US was 97% instead of 98%. Big deal.

Your post, OTOH was full of errors - all of which were major. When you make 10 major errors - all of which are clearly intended to make Android look better than it is, then it's hard to see you as anything but an Android shill. That's very different from a minor error in one number.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That is a number you could have looked up. Which is 325 as I recall.

I believe all the stores I go to are about 15 ipads if you include the one they use for work shops. But generally folks are playing games on them not the internet so I would say it's probably more like 3 hours each tops. So by using your methodology that would be approximately 15000 hours (we'll round up to cover the larger stores like 5th avenue that likely have more ipads and more like 5 hours each) not 100k.

Also, folks in control of their own ipad are more likely to be on it more than a demo one where they get shoo'd off after 20 minutes. So the home hours are probably 1 to 1 if not more like 2 to 1 over the demo units.

But then you also have to consider the 30 or so demo computers in each store which are way more likely to get internet use for facebook etc. They likely match if not beat the store ipad use when it comes to surfing. Thus adding to the total hours.

All the demo computers don't count. This survey recognizes the OS that's in use - and unless the Demo Macs in the Apple Store are running iOS, they can't be confused with tablets.

My point was that even using my very generous estimates, the number of iPads in Apple Stores is insignificant - refuting what someone else said. Your numbers only makes them even more insignificant.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new study has found that 89 percent of the world's Internet traffic on tablets comes from Apple's iPad.

Last month, research group Nielsen published a study that found the iPad has an 82 percent market share of tablets in the U.S. The Samsung Galaxy Tab was second with a 4 percent market share.

So I don't see how this makes sense.

iOS users use the internet in a disproportionately high amount. Seemingly, much more than the Android users.

But we were told that iOS users use Apps instead of the internet. But this information indicates that Android users use Apps more than iOS users, who disproportionately use lots of internet.

This doesn't make sense, or else it is not true that iOS users prefer Apps. It seems to indicate the opposite: That it is the Fandroids who use apps more than they use the internet.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

iOS users use the internet in a disproportionately high amount. Seemingly, much more than the Android users.

But we were told that iOS users use Apps instead of the internet. But this information indicates that Android users use Apps more than iOS users, who disproportionately use lots of internet.

This doesn't make sense, or else it is not true that iOS users prefer Apps. It seems to indicate the opposite: That it is the Fandroids who use apps more than they use the internet.

There's no conflict. This study doesn't really address the amount of app usage.

All it says is that iOS devices account for the majority of non-computer internet access -- and the overwhelming majority of tablet internet access. It doesn't say anything about how much is app-based and how much is browser-based.

(Hint: it is possible that iOS users could use the internet more than Android users and ALSO use apps more than Android users).
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:

The US was 97% instead of 98%. Big deal.

Your post, OTOH was full of errors - all of which were major.

You said

Quote:

For all the countries given, the iPad is > 98% of tablet net traffic.

That was a pretty major error right there. My post wasn't full of errors, there was one and I admit it was major, I misread the comscore report of a floor for an average.

I don't have a pro-android agenda, if you don't believe me go and read anything else I've posted, I have a pro fact agenda. You might try owning up to your own serious errors and you might want to stop assuming that everybody who disagrees with you is motivated by some evil motive. Or you can continue to look like crazed fanboi - maybe that's working for you.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I'm an evil sheep-screwing lying android shill.

The first step in recovery is admitting to your problem ..... (relax ... just a joke ... couldn't resist walking through the door you opened for me.)
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

I don't have a pro-android agenda, if you don't believe me go and read anything else I've posted, I have a pro fact agenda. You might try owning up to your own serious errors and you might want to stop assuming that.

ROTFLMAO. I guess that's why nearly everything you wrote about this article was wrong.

I'm still laughing about your 'facts' about Asia and South America being hotbeds of Android -and being the reason why Comscore is wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

It seems to indicate the opposite: That it is the Fandroids who use apps more than they use the internet.

As jragosta says this is very unlikely, mostly because we know that there are only a handful of apps available on the android market that actually support their honeycomb tablets. Even Froyo tablets like the Galaxy Tab won't have an optimal experience and don't have much explicit app support - no Hulu Plus for example. If anything the fact that we aren't capturing App traffic here means it may be underestimate how much more iPads are used than Android-tabs.

Quote:

This is not good news for iADs.

iAds problems are real but they're more to do with advertisers not liking the way that it works than with any perception of a lack of eyeballs.

iAds doesn't allow advertisers control over which apps they end up on, and it doesn't allow advertisers to track information that they're interested in. Google naturally enough has a lot more experience in monetizing eyeballs, which is the polite way of saying that it can climb up its customers' assholes and tell you what they ate for breakfast.

I'm not really sure how Apple fix their problems with iAds, if they become as invasive of privacy as Google or even worse Facebook then consumers may react negatively, especially as Apple gets less of a free ride from the press than Google. On the other hand for as long as Google offers advertisers a more compelling (read invasive) proposition then iAds will continue to suffer.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

Another possibility:

iOS users use the internet mostly, while Android users use Apps mostly.

Yup. That would explain why they all keep touting Flash. And, why Android developers are making tons of money.

/sarcasm.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

ROTFLMAO. I guess that's why nearly everything you wrote about this article was wrong. .... etc etc

Hey, relax. You've made your point. I don't think his original post was meant to be such a slam on you -- no need to take it so personally. And, when someone comes back with an outstretched hand (well, sort of) and some self-deprecating humor, just consider it a mea cupla, and move on.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hey, relax. You've made your point.

Yes, I did - but then he continued to rant about how he was all about facts and getting things right. It was his hypocrisy that I was talking about in the post you cited.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

And, why Android developers are making tons of money.

I would love to know how much they were really making, so far the only data i've seen is that report about Rovio making considerable income from their free Android version of angry birds (more than their paid android version), but I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Rovio are almost certainly getting a premium to other Apps because of their popularity, in Android Advertising terms they're the superbowl. Anybody seen any decent analysis of this?
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Yes, I did - but then he continued to rant about how he was all about facts and getting things right. It was his hypocrisy that I was talking about in the post you cited.

Wait my hypocrisy? I made a big mistake and I owned it, you made a big mistake and you dismiss it. But this is about my hypocrisy? Dude you are projecting.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

Most of us are hypocrites over something or the other some time or the other.

If you've never been one, good for you.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

I would love to know how much they were really making, so far the only data i've seen is that report about Rovio making considerable income from their free Android version of angry birds (more than their paid), but I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Rovio are almost certainly getting a premium to other Apps because of their popularity, in Android Advertising terms they're the superbowl. Anybody seen any decent analysis of this?

http://gigaom.com/2011/05/27/android...aker-for-devs/
  • Reply 36 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    These figures are hardly surprising to anybody with a brain.

The iPad is something that people buy and use a lot. People use it for everything, from apps to general internet usage, such as surfing and streaming movies.

Tablets (made by everybody else besides Apple) are something that mostly sits on store shelves and collects dust. The few unfortunate bastards who do use them apparently don't do much with theirs, and they certainly don't use the internet a lot.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

Quote:

There's no conflict. This study doesn't really address the amount of app usage.

All it says is that iOS devices account for the majority of non-computer internet access -- and the overwhelming majority of tablet internet access. It doesn't say anything about how much is app-based and how much is browser-based.

(Hint: it is possible that iOS users could use the internet more than Android users and ALSO use apps more than Android users).

Apps and internet use are not mutually exclusive. Many apps use the internet constantly or abundantly. Take, for example, the Netflix app. And what about iTunes. Those two would account for mucho tablet traffic on the internet. This is bound to increase substantially with iCloud.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

http://gigaom.com/2011/05/27/android...aker-for-devs/

That's only giving details about the paid-app revenue, where there is no doubt that Apple is miles ahead.

According to mobilemix the Android ecosystem is about even on Advertising revenue, but they fail to say exactly how much the total revenue is - they only give percentages, so I've no idea if its even remotely comparable to the 2.5BN that we know Apple has paid to iOS developers as of June.

Actually I don't even know if the 2.5BN includes advertising or not, I've been assuming not, I may need to go rewatch that bit of the keynote to be sure.

Edit: Ok - I found the site below projecting a 3.3BN mobile ad revenue for 2011. Now the problem is that now I don't know how much of that is search - which google owns outright. 2BN? More? All they say is it's the biggest category, which I could have guessed frankly. Bloody market research firms. Oh and I don't know if mobilemix is including mobile search. Where is Horace Dediu when I need him?

http://www.mobilemarketer.com/cms/ne...rch/10225.html.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Apps and internet use are not mutually exclusive. Many apps use the internet constantly or abundantly. Take, for example, the Netflix app. And what about iTunes. Those two would account for mucho tablet traffic on the internet. This is bound to increase substantially with iCloud.

This survey isn't generic IP traffic, it's not even all HTTP traffic, its likely web-traffic in terms of pages served to a browser.

This is because the obvious way for them to distinguish between say a Galaxy Tablet and an android phone is by the browser ident string, and a non web-app making an internet connection wouldn't supply that string - it would use one of its own, if it did anything.

Incidentally this also means that it's possible that some of Other is actually iDevice, because some 3rd party browser apps like opera may not be distinguishing clearly between platform. I'd have to do some digging to find out if they all do.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Ok. Normally I'd dismiss yet another article claiming a new tablet that will kill the iPad, but in this case, the word is 'hurt'. So maybe we should cut them some slack.

Anyway, HP seems to be doing things differently, controlling the hardware and software of their tablet as does Apple, plus they have an ex-Apple employee to help them out.

A good feature they have is Synergy. Here an excerpt:

A webOS feature called Synergy lets developers design applications that talk to each other. Facebook friends' birthdays automatically show up in your contacts. Work and personal calendars, even those of a partner, appear together.

Users can make a call using their wireless carrier or Skype, without having to open separate applications. "The concept from the very beginning of this is, 'Your life is moving to the cloud,'" says Jon Rubinstein, who helped create the IMac and IPod at Apple before becoming chief executive officer of Palm.

Since this is a software feature, competitors could easily incorporate it into their own device, making the HP a tougher sell.

What do you guys think? http://smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office...blets/X7G4Q4Q8