Google confirms FTC conducting review of its business

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

When the bunch was with Engadget they were accused of Apple favoritism. Who knew?

Well they don't seem to be these days. I just listened to them go on for 20 minutes about how much they were excited by 7in android tablets.
  • Reply 22 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Well they don't seem to be these days. I just listened to them go on for 20 minutes about how much they were excited by 7in android tablets.

That's because they didn't have a 7" iPad to be excited about.
  • Reply 23 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's because they didn't have a 7" iPad to be excited about.

I wonder if Steve Jobs will weaken and produce one. They held out for years against making an ultra-portable and now the air is huge. If the 7inch G-tab really sold even 3 mil then that would surely be a market worth entering.
  • Reply 24 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

As they should. Google is NOTHING but pure evil.

I hope that they get shut down completely. They have no respect for privacy, like Steve does.

They are pure evil.

That's not going to happen and you know it.
  • Reply 25 of 121
    Quote:

I wonder if Steve Jobs will weaken and produce one. They held out for years against making an ultra-portable and now the air is huge. If the 7inch G-tab really sold even 3 mil then that would surely be a market worth entering.

Steve said how many times that users would never watch video on an iPod, then he gave us iPod + video.

The iPod Touch may yet morph into a 7" iPad.
  • Reply 26 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackTheRat View Post

Steve said how many times that users would never watch video on an iPod, then he gave us iPod + video.

That would make sense, though hopefully they would keep the current touch form-factor too - it's still a very big seller, 9mil units per quarter and 20mil over the holidays.
  • Reply 27 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

That would make sense, though hopefully they would keep the current touch form-factor too - it's still a very big seller, 9mil units per quarter and 20mil over the holidays.

Apple may not call it an iPad, but a 7" form factor device from them would probably sell well, and be much more travel friendly. Mr. Jobs has changed his view before (ie no AppStore), so no surprise from me if one appears.
  • Reply 28 of 121
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

It's not a question of "weakening", they did their research, decided that 7" sucks, and they have no interest in making a product that sucks just to please a handful of people who don't realize that it sucks. The MBA is not the "ultra-portable" they said they weren't interested in making, those ultra-portables were netbooks, which the MBA is decidedly not. Three million isn't even worth the time it would take to design it.
  • Reply 29 of 121
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Must be a slow news lately since I've been seeing quite a bit of Google news lately on this site lately.

How about reporting on Apple relatedly news like that the new Time Capsules are using consumer-grade hard drives now despite Apple still lists them as server-grade?

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...eng_latest_art
  • Reply 30 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackTheRat View Post

I can think of zero electronic products that would benefit from a 7" screen.
  • Reply 31 of 121
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm as confused about this as Google is. Why exactly is the FTC investigating Google? They don't really fit the classic definition of a monopoly. Anyone can choose another search engine as their default.

The issue is NOT the natural monopoly Google has on search.

Just like the problem was not Windows' monopoly in the PC market.

It is Google/Microsoft abusing their natural monopoly to enter other markets.
  • Reply 32 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Must be a slow news lately since I've been seeing quite a bit of Google news lately on this site lately.

How about reporting on Apple relatedly news like that the new Time Capsules are using consumer-grade hard drives now despite Apple still lists them as server-grade?

because it's not really news?

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/01/...as-advertised/
  • Reply 33 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The MBA is not the "ultra-portable" they said they weren't interested in making, those ultra-portables were netbooks, which the MBA is decidedly not. Three million isn't even worth the time it would take to design it.

I'd disagree, the ultra-portables that people had been crying out for (at least some of us) from Apple where not cheap netbooks but something similar to the luxury Vaios from Sony. As for the market being too small for a 7inch, that may be true - but it may be worth it anyway to deny Samsung et al a niche, that might otherwise be a springboard into the tablet proper market.
  • Reply 34 of 121
    Quote:

Or that Freedompress.org and a coalition of unrelated Librarians and information professionals are making grass-roots efforts to stop the evil actions of Apple with respect to them heeding pressure from content holders and filing for patents that allow suspension of video and camera capabilities when iPhone users attend concerts and the like.

Shut down our ability to communicate visual information at concerts may seem innocuous, until governmental bodies seize control and shut down our ability to communicate visual information at political rallies and other such catastrophic or impugning possible events. (Big Brother is now)

I'm being sarcastic about the evil and Big Brother part... but it is a bit eerie when you think of the big picture.
  • Reply 35 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

because it's not really news?

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/01/...as-advertised/

Unfortunately, Apple's response does little to clarify the situation since they aren't revealing what the MTBF is for the hard drives. Apple and Western Digital are keeping those numbers tight lipped. Normally, a manufacturer would be touting those numbers for a true server-grade hard drive.
  • Reply 36 of 121
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

I'd disagree, the ultra-portables that people had been crying out for (at least some of us) from Apple where not cheap netbooks but something similar to the luxury Vaios from Sony. ...

That might be, but the one they said they weren't interested in making was a netbook.
  • Reply 37 of 121
    Quote:

I'd disagree, the ultra-portables that people had been crying out for (at least some of us) from Apple where not cheap netbooks but something similar to the luxury Vaios from Sony. As for the market being too small for a 7inch, that may be true - but it may be worth it anyway to deny Samsung et al a niche, that might otherwise be a springboard into the tablet proper market.

Apple never said they are not interested in making ultra portables.

They said they are not interested in making netbooks.
  • Reply 38 of 121
    Quote:

Unfortunately, Apple's response does little to clarify the situation since they aren't revealing what the MTBF is for the hard drives. Apple and Western Digital are keeping those numbers tight lipped. Normally, a manufacturer would be touting those numbers for a true server-grade hard drive.

Just letting you know that's not news... it's news from 2008.
  • Reply 39 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Just letting you know that's not news... it's news from 2008.

That's horrible.
  • Reply 40 of 121
    Quote:

That's horrible.

not really. Considering Apple uses the same harddrives on the xserver servers.

Also there is no clear classification for a "server grade" harddrive. Now if they say it's a Enterprice class harddrive, then it might be a problem.