Apple releases $49 Thunderbolt cable, offers external RAID systems

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday added a new $49 Thunderbolt high-speed data cable to its online store, as well as a handful of external RAID storage options starting at $999.

The new Thunderbolt cable measures 2 meters and supports the next-generation data port found on Apple's latest iMacs and MacBook Pros. Thunderbolt offers two independent channels of 10Gbit/s each.

The official Apple Thunderbolt cable allows users to connect Thunderbolt peripherals, but it can also be used for Target Disk Mode between two Macs. The cable can also be used to make a Thunderbolt-equipped iMac serve as a display for a new MacBook Pro.

Also available in Apple's online store are a handful of external RAID systems, all of which ship within 24 hours:

The least expensive option is the Promise Pegasus R4 with 4TB of data. It features four 1TB 7200-rpm drives delivering over 500MB/s of disk performance.

For $1,499, the Pegasus R4 can be doubled to 8TB, operating at the same 500MB/s.

For more speed, Apple offers the Promise Pegasus R6. It includes six 1TB 7200-rpm hard drives that deliver over 800MB/s of disk performance for $1,499.

Finally, the R6 can also have twice the storage with the 12TB offering, priced at $1,999.

Thunderbolt was launched in March, when Apple's new MacBook Pros went on sale. The technology, co-developed by Intel and Apple, utilizes the standard mini DisplayPort connector, but offers high-speed data transfers in addition to external monitor support.

Thunderbolt also appeared on the new iMacs launched in May, and is expected to rapidly appear on the rest of the company's hardware lineup. Tuesday's additions to the Apple online store mark some of the first Thunderbolt-capable accessories available for purchase.

Just last week, LaCie showed off a new Thunderbolt solid-state drive that it will release this summer. The system has two SSDs paired in a RAID 0 configuration offering read speeds of up to 870MB/s.

Though Apple cooperated with Intel on Thunderbolt, the technology is not exclusive to the Mac maker. This week, rival Sony showed off its own proprietary implementation of Thunderbolt, which will arrive on a new laptop in Europe this summer, dubbed the VAIO Z.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, the R6 can also have twice the storage with the 12TB offering, priced at $1,9999.

• Reply 2 of 80
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Apple, please make a Mac that is about the size of that RAID system. Perfect size for a Mac between the Mini and the Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Not in the market for Thunderbolt yet...but I am glad so many are cause the early adopters that will spend $50 on a cable pay the R and D costs for guys like me who cant quite afford to be on the cutting edge...that said, even for cutting edge tech that cable should be no more than $25...Apple must model their cable business after monster...not a bad plan for stock holders
  • Reply 4 of 80
    I get the feeling Apple have their decimal point in the wrong place. Mind you, this is Apple where they try to give the best bang for the buck with Macs and devices, then gouge you on accessories or upgrades such as memory.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    We need a breakout box that has FW and USB ports. Stash all the peripherals in a corner and and just have a single cable going back to my Mac. Is anyone working on such a device?
  • Reply 6 of 80
    Can anyone point me to any of the thunderbolt equipped raid drives. I AM in the market for raid backup at another location, an Apple sku number i can find?
  • Reply 7 of 80
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Now we just need the monoprice.com versions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Can anyone point me to any of the thunderbolt equipped raid drives. I AM in the market for raid backup at another location, an Apple sku number i can find?

They are still being developed. Soon...
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Thanks=!

mention of the new raid systems are bracketed in the article by Thunderbolt paragraphs, I inferred the raids were thunderbolt -

guess i will stick with separate usb time machine drives for each mbp for now
  • Reply 9 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    This is cool. I was planning on a new iMac this summer and almost decided to go with both SSD and physical disk option, but with Thunderbolt peripherals starting to appear, I may just go with the smallest SSD internal and a Thunderbolt external.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

I get the feeling Apple have their decimal point in the wrong place. ...

Your feeling is wrong. The Apple Store clearly lists the PROMISE VTrak x30 Series (16x 2TB SATA) 3U RAID Subsystem at $19,999.00. The mistake in the placement of the decimal point was made by AppleInsider, not Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Not in the market for Thunderbolt yet...but I am glad so many are cause the early adopters that will spend $50 on a cable pay the R and D costs for guys like me who cant quite afford to be on the cutting edge...that said, even for cutting edge tech that cable should be no more than $25...Apple must model their cable business after monster...not a bad plan for stock holders

If it weren't for Promise leaving out the cable, this wouldn't be necessary. Most external drives include the data cable. These Promise devices are the first I've seen to leave out the data cable.

Quote:

The Promise units in the story are linked to Apple's web store, the ones I checked are Thunderbolt enabled.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If it weren't for Promise leaving out the cable, this wouldn't be necessary. Most external drives include the data cable. These Promise devices are the first I've seen to leave out the data cable.

The Promise units in the story are linked to Apple's web store, the ones I checked are Thunderbolt enabled.

Yes! Thanks for pointing that out. Searching the apple store with keyword thunderbolt, only the cable showed up
  • Reply 13 of 80
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Apple, please make a Mac that is about the size of that RAID system. Perfect size for a Mac between the Mini and the Pro.

Why would they do that? Only a handful of geeks want that.
  • Reply 14 of 80
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Just let me sneak in this pic one last time:

• Reply 15 of 80
    tbstephtbsteph Posts: 95member
    $50.00 for a 6ft cable? And I thought Monster had a monopoly on such things.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Extra nine. Its $1999.00. For price comparison, the Thunderbolt equipped pegasus series has $200 premium over the firewire800 equipped smartstor series in the same configuration.

Also coming down the pipes is a thunderbolt to dual 4GB fibre channel adapter.

http://www.promise.com/storage/raid_...sn1=40&rsn3=49
  • Reply 17 of 80
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Yes! Thanks for pointing that out. Searching the apple store with keyword thunderbolt, only the cable showed up

Promise Pegasus R4 4TB

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5...g&s=topSellers

They're all under:

Home > Shop Mac > Mac Accessories > Storage
  • Reply 18 of 80
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Wow, that is sad.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

If you remember when HDMI first came along the cables were taking the piss expensive like this. Prices soon drop and in practice, this is an area where buying the Apple option will cost you dear, when compared with a generic.
  • Reply 20 of 80
    richwissrichwiss Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

No kidding!