Samsung asks ITC to ban import of Apple products in latest legal complaint

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Associating generalisation with racism is equally bad in my book.

Are you denying that countries behave in general ways?

Are you suggesting a country is a race?

Are you unnecessarily using the race card and subsequently watering down it's effectiveness to deter real racism? Sorry but yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Generalizing Samsung tactics as Korean tactics is a slippery slope to racism.

Racism is a strong characeterization, isn't it? But I don't disagree it is wrong to point fingers at a whole nation.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Yeah, that's true. The whole Android thing started with lookalike iPhones. They don't want that happening again..

I don't think all Android phones looked like iPhones. On the other hand, how different can you make a candy bar design with touchscreen? The Samsung design was over the board similar to the iPhone 3G. This is why Apple went after Samsung and not others, methinks.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    The thing that pisses me off about all this pointless bullshit is that we end up paying for it. A portion of the price we pay for every product we buy goes to arsehole lawyers who dream up this shit.
  • Reply 44 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

I think this is just a delay tactic by samsung,

You think?
  • Reply 45 of 101
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

IMO, webOS mimics the look and feel of iOS a lot more than stock android does, and yet HP/Palm are seemingly both safe.

It shure does. http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/29/h...amsung-tipped/
  • Reply 46 of 101
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Face saving move for a shameless old copycat Sammy.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    An ITC complaints gets decisions made much faster than the courts does.

Most likely ITC will examine the complaint, if it finds the complaint legitimate, it can institute a ban on imports of Apple's iPhone, iPod, and iPad from China to the US immediately.

That would be DETRIMENTAL to Apple.

THIS IS WHY APPLE SHOULD HAVE A MANUFACTURING PLANT IN THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve, PLEASE, with all the money that your company has, setting up a manufacturing plant to produce all your products will a) Stop secret leaks b) better quality control c) pay american jobs d) have these types of legal complaints thrown out the door.

WHY ARENT YOU DOING IT is my freaking question??!!
  • Reply 48 of 101
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Steve, PLEASE, with all the money that your company has, setting up a manufacturing plant to produce all your products will a) Stop secret leaks b) better quality control c) pay american jobs d) have these types of legal complaints thrown out the door.

WHY ARENT YOU DOING IT is my freaking question??!!

My guess is they are not doing it because Apple know nothing about how to manufacture semiconductors and it would be an almost total waste of money to learn considering the spectacularly low margins memory fabs and foundries work for.
  • Reply 49 of 101
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 50 of 101
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brent View Post

I'm sure there are a lot of states with high unemployment rates that would court a few Apple factories here in the US, and that would give Apple a secrecy advantage.

It would be more expensive. Healthcare insurance and 401k are things that people want in the US, well at least a good number do. In china, the labor is cheaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. Americans don't like cheap. They want to get paid.

The jobs are available now, but people don't want low wages with manual labor.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

On the other hand, how different can you make a candy bar design with touchscreen?

Quite different as it turns out.

• Reply 52 of 101
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Quite different as it turns out.

And I promise you, 10:1 most people, when seeing that will ask (Oh, is that an iPhone?)

(additionally, by looking at those icons, Apple could try and sue them like they are suing Samsung for touchwiz)

With the exception of the color of the device, and the fact that there is no front facing button(s), the N9 could just as easily be the next iphone/android device (to the casual observer)

But it is a rectangular slab device, with rounded icons arranged in a grid, which is all that (most) people require to think of it as an "iphone"
  • Reply 53 of 101
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

Q: What's the difference between Korean businesses and Al Qaeda?

A: You can reason with Al Qaeda

No you can't, but your point is taken.

Remember the LA riots back in 92-93 or something... remember the ethnicity of the only shop store merchants out there protecting their stores with shotguns... you guessed it. Just saying...
  • Reply 54 of 101
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What I heard:

"Blah-blah-blah ... ancient right wing rant ... blah blah .... outdated economic ideas ... blah-blah blah ... tea party ... blah-blah."

Then I guess you don't want to hear the truth. Americans want to earn a certain wage and *most* Americans won't work for under a certain wage no matter how desperate they might be. Period. Most don't even produce commensurate with their wage.

Americans think they're entitled to make a zillion dollars but don't want to pay their dues or do the work it takes to earn it.....which is why we still have labor unions.

I know, I'm 47, have been an employer in the U.S. for the past 23 years and my girlfriend is an unemployment claims taker.

I guess you only heard that rant with your left ear.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Generalizing Samsung tactics as Korean tactics is a slippery slope to racism.

So Korea is a race now?
  • Reply 56 of 101
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

You want to pay twice as much for your iPhone?

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...=United+States

Willing to work for $3.25./hr?

http://www.dailytech.com/Cheap+Labor...ticle21946.htm

No offense but how much more is 'unknown' unless you know the amount of 'touch labor' and extra facility charges(if any) that goes into each phone.

So for 'assembly only' over here... Im not so sure its double. If one were to guess one hour (giant WAG, but seems high) of touch labor for each phone... that would be an Extra... $50 - $80. Facility cost per phone... I really don't have a clue.

• Reply 57 of 101
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonro View Post

I agree that the whole thing is a bit silly. Aside from some cosmetic differences, every tablet on the planet looks like an iPad. How many ways can you make a framed skinny rectangle? Apple should have been more specific in their original complaint and tried to get Samsung to address their specific issues. The supply issue is complicated, but I don't thing that Apple wants to stop using Samsung as a supplier because they are trying to compete in the tablet market. They have a lot more leverage over Samsung when they are buying billions of dollars in parts from them. I would like to see more electronics plants in the US, but they can take years to build.

And, again, as gets pointed out every time this topic comes up, Apple's trade dress lawsuit doesn't hang on "framed skinny rectangles." It's a whole laundry list of infringements, which, taken in the aggregate, add up to at least the possibility that Samsung will be found to have systematically copied Apple.

I also think it bears pointing out that, when Apple released the iPad, one of the major bellowing points of contention was the absurdly, ridiculously, grotesquely huge bezel. It was comical, if I recall. Was going to make the iPad (along with the inevitable associations suggested by the name, LOL) a complete flop.

Now here we are, and all those tablets with the exact same screen to bezel ration are completely inevitable and right and logical and how could you do it any other way? Oh, and "Pad" is a perfectly reasonable naming convention, now that it's been widely copied.

Because that's just how the Apple hate machine rolls.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    nicolbolasnicolbolas Posts: 254member
    Quote:

You want to pay twice as much for your iPhone?

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...=United+States

Willing to work for $3.25./hr?

http://www.dailytech.com/Cheap+Labor...ticle21946.htm

how much does putting the phone togethor cost, isn't the Iphone margin (after ad's etc, etc, etc) like 40-50%? are you saying that by paying people 7 more $/h it will dip below 35% (come on, that really healthy) or maybe more costs, and only 30% margins, the horror.

but in terms of making the company grow at the fastest rate (Terms of cash and market share) the lower $ per workers makes sense.
  • Reply 59 of 101
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 60 of 101
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

No you can't, but your point is taken.

Remember the LA riots back in 92-93 or something... remember the ethnicity of the only shop store merchants out there protecting their stores with shotguns... you guessed it. Just saying...

Quote:

Are you suggesting that those store owners were to blame for the attacks on their stores?

No, he is practicing his constitutional right to stereotype people.