Samsung asks ITC to ban import of Apple products in latest legal complaint

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

Oh bite me. I was a senior credit office for a major bank that dealt with medium sized and larger corporations. The running joke with these customers was that negotiations began [I]after[I] the contract was signed.

You sound like these morons that think anyone who disagrees with Barak Obama is a racist,

Who are "these customers"?
  • Reply 82 of 101
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

What difference would it make if one was referring to Koreans as a race or a nation?

Unless you happen to be an expert on the sociological and economic behaviors of Korean business people as it pertains to international trade (which isn't entirely impossible...), your generalization colors all Koreans who do business as being vicious and unreasonable.... a statement which, whether racist or not, colors YOU as vicious and unreasonable as well.

Glad to see someone who recognizes the slippery slope for what it is.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Absolutely I would pay double the price of an iPhone [if it were US-only made].

Doesn?t this kind of ignore all the customers that aren?t American? How would Apple convince them to pay twice the price?
  • Reply 84 of 101
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esXXI View Post

Doesn?t this kind of ignore all the customers that aren?t American? How would Apple convince them to pay twice the price?

A telethon! They could show pictures of grotesquely obese americans and say things like, 'for just 300$ more on your iPhone we can help feed these marvellous human elephants and ensure their survival'.
  • Reply 85 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Huh? FDR's court packing scheme failed. Or are there more than nine justices now?

Anyway, I don't know why Apple's bothering going after Samsung's lookalike tablets. Yes, they DO look like iPads, other than their dimensions. Walk into any Staples and tell me the average non-techie person would be able to tell them apart at a mere glance. But who cares? The market seems to be taking care of that problem for them -- despite being marketed by major tech companies, they're seen by the public at large as inferior knockoffs and ignored.

it is a complex thing. toilet paper rolls look amazing alike, yet, most household shoppers know which brand is which by reading the label. the great big 'SAMSUNG' on the back and the 'ANDROID' on bootup might be some tiny clue that you ain't using an apple product.

what bothers Apple is that they WANT to remove the Home Button and are pissed that the galaxy tab looks too damn good and beat them to it.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

it is a complex thing. toilet paper rolls look amazing alike, yet, most household shoppers know which brand is which by reading the label. the great big 'SAMSUNG' on the back and the 'ANDROID' on bootup might be some tiny clue that you ain't using an apple product.

what bothers Apple is that they WANT to remove the Home Button and are pissed that the galaxy tab looks too damn good and beat them to it.

None of the toilet paper makers could reasonably claim trade dress for a tube of cardboard wrapped in tissue, but if a rival tried to use labrador puppies on their packaging in the UK you can be damned sure Andrex would sue them into next week.

Trade Dress is a real thing, and sticking your own label on the item doesn't immunize you from a successful trade dress suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EOne

Gosh, here we have a device that looked much like an iMac but had a different brand name and ran a totally different OS.

From wiki

eMachines hoped to avoid legal trouble because the shape of the computer was different from the iMac, however Apple still sued successfully.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    It looks like Samsung is just counter suing by copying Apple, but in Samsung case they have no grounds to back it up.

Samsung wants to ban Ipad/iphone imports in the US, OK, but WHY ?!? I cant believe you can randomly suit for no reasons at all... cant the US courts just discard the suit?
  • Reply 88 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

cant the US courts just discard the suit?

They did it with Samsung's demand to see the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 before announcement. Sure thing they will (notice will) discard this one.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 90 of 101
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    To AppleInsider:

Could every thread here have a statement in large bold letters which says:

Apple will only move manufacturing to the US when pay rates are $5 per day
  • Reply 91 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Glad to see someone who recognizes the slippery slope for what it is.

Isn't that a racist term?
  • Reply 92 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

Isn't that a racist term?

What, slippery slope? Is it even POSSIBLE to be racist against eskimos?

Slippery slope is a government term. And a private sector term.

It means "once you let [some entity] get away with something (usually taking away a freedom or feature in a small portion of their power/offerings), there's very little to stop that precedent from snowballing and 'allowing' them to continue taking away other freedoms/features."
  • Reply 93 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What, slippery slope? Is it even POSSIBLE to be racist against eskimos?

Maybe it would be racist if the slope is slippery because it's covered in kimchi?
  • Reply 94 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Maybe it would be racist if the slope is slippery because it's covered in kimchi?

So the soil eroded, revealing the pots which have burst open, pouring kimchi out?

I buy that, sure.
  • Reply 95 of 101
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can you name a US-made high-end consumer electronic product you own?

I dont have any.

However, Apple could be the innovator ( yet again ) to be the pioneer of this movement of bringing back high tech manufacturing to the US.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I dont have any.

However, Apple could be the innovator ( yet again ) to be the pioneer of this movement of bringing back high tech manufacturing to the US.

No. Apple would be a loser if they tried that.

The reason tech has disappeared from the US is not just about US labor costs (which, actually, on an exchange rate-adjusted basis is substantially better than the EU or Japan), but the fact that there is no supply chain for CE here anymore. Every component, every screw, every machine has to be shipped from the Far East. It would be disaster to even try.

You'd better get used to the fact that it's gone for a long while.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    My biggest complaint about Apple is that they haven't done this yet. With unemployment approaching 10%, people could use the work.

And this country could use more "MADE IN USA"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

lolwut.

What if Apple just moves manufacturing to the U.S.?

• Reply 98 of 101
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    So get the supply chain here then...? Don't tell me it can't be done.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No. Apple would be a loser if they tried that.

The reason tech has disappeared from the US is not just about US labor costs (which, actually, on an exchange rate-adjusted basis is substantially better than the EU or Japan), but the fact that there is no supply chain for CE here anymore. Every component, every screw, every machine has to be shipped from the Far East. It would be disaster to even try.

You'd better get used to the fact that it's gone for a long while.

• Reply 99 of 101
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    SAmsung biting the hand that feeds it. Stupid move on Samsungs part.

This will go on and on Samsung will lose business, Apple will lose a supplier.................bottom line: NOBODY WINS! not even the lawyers
  • Reply 100 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

So get the supply chain here then...? Don't tell me it can't be done.

It can't be done.

There, I told you.