100,000 choices now available on Apple's iPad App Store

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
There are now more than 100,000 applications available on the iPad App Store written specifically for the 9.7-inch display found on Apple's touchscreen tablet.

Apple crossed the six-figure milestone this week, a fact that was first noted by MacStories. The total applies to software written for the iPad, and does not include iPhone applications, which also work but do not take advantage of the larger screen size.

The 100,000 number was reached less than 16 months after the iPad first went on sale in April of 2010. Then, the iPad App Store opened with just 3,000 titles, and crossed the 10,000 milestone that June.

The total number of applications available on the iPad can be viewed in the App Store by choosing the "Featured" section, and then selecting "Release Date" at the top of the screen. As of Thursday afternoon, the App Store was shown to have a total of 100,159 iPad applications.

Apple's App Store for iOS devices is the largest of its kind. At the Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, Apple Senior Vice President of iOS Software Scott Forstall revealed there are more than 425,000 applications available in the App Store, including both the iPhone and iPad, and that more than 14 billion applications have been downloaded since 2008.

The latest milestone passed without any public acknowledgement by Apple, though earlier this year the company did hold a contest to celebrate the 10 billionth download from the App Store. Also this year, the successful App Store model was brought to the Mac, and the Mac App Store will be the only place where users will be able to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Numbers are great but we all know not all of these ten thousands plus apps are actually app in the sense of tool to do work or play. Quite large of them are passives.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Numbers are great but we all know not all of these ten thousands plus apps are actually app in the sense of tool to do work or play. Quite large of them are passives.

Sure, but the proportion of crap:app is worse on the android markets so that actually means the raw numbers underplay how far ahead Apple is.

I'm stating to see iPad apps get mentioned in non tech circles in remarkable ways - the expensive multimedia app of TS Elliot's 'The Wasteland' made a buzz in a few places.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I'm stating to see iPad apps get mentioned in non tech circles in remarkable ways - the expensive multimedia app of TS Elliot's 'The Wasteland' made a buzz in a few places.

. . . which appears in the Android Market too I think.

https://market.android.com/details?id=book-tMHfQmqxEL0C
  • Reply 4 of 22
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Any takes on if, or when iPad App Store apps will overtake all Android Marketplace apps?

Quote:

Sure, but the proportion of crap:app is worse on the android markets so that actually means the raw numbers underplay how far ahead Apple is.

I wonder if Android Marketplace has "Hello World" apps.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Top that, Androidians.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Yes, but out of that 100,000, only a fraction, maybe 20,000? are truly high-quality apps

(Maybe, then, Android has 100 tablet-optimized apps, 15 of them high-quality? Not that Android apps really equal the iOS versions. They seldom truly offer the same experience even if they match the “bullet list.” See:

http://android-gripes.tumblr.com/pos...rse-on-android and http://android-gripes.tumblr.com/pos...-than-iphone-a )
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

. . . which appears in the Android Market too I think.

https://market.android.com/details?id=book-tMHfQmqxEL0C

Not visible in my country.

Also all the press about it only mentions iPad so even if it's on Androd, it's not getting them any PR.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/vi...and-apps-video

Faber and Faber aren't talking about it either

http://faber.co.uk/

Are you sure you're looking at the right thing, not just a copy of the poem or a copy of some old dead-tree scholarship?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any takes on if, or when iPad App Store apps will overtake all Android Marketplace apps?

I wonder if Android Marketplace has "Hello World" apps.

There's a very good, in-depth study comparing the the Appstore and Android Market here, from Feb/11, so things may have changed a bit in the past four months.

https://www.mylookout.com/appgenome/
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Not visible in my country.

Also all the press about it only mentions iPad so even if it's on Androd, it's not getting them any PR.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/vi...and-apps-video

Faber and Faber aren't talking about it either

http://faber.co.uk/

Are you sure you're looking at the right thing, not just a copy of the poem or a copy of some old dead-tree scholarship?

I don't own the app ($36!), so I don't know if it's just a copy of the dead-tree version or not.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Correct.

Both stores have their share of fart apps and other crapware, however there is a lot of de-publishing of apps at the Android store, more malware, more abandoned apps.

There are fewer opportunities to monetize apps in Android so there's a higher percentage of ad-sponsored mediocre offerings.

Game developers find the hardware fragmentation of the Android platform to be a particular challenge, so there are fewer high-quality games.

I hope that Apple improves the search function of their App Store, however it is not really difficult to find high-quality apps.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't own the app ($36!), so I don't know if it's just a copy of the dead-tree version or not.

Sounds like a different app, probably somebody trying to fool people into thinking it's this one. The real app would have screen shots showing Fiona Shaws performance.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

. . . however there is a lot of de-publishing of apps at the Android store, more malware, more abandoned apps.

How did you determine these? Not claiming you're wrong, just interested in the source.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    I was browsing some stuff from Nielsen because I have no life and I spotted this oddity

The average Android owner uses significantly more bandwidth per month than the average iOS user, but paradoxically the average levels of usage of any high bandwidth activity is higher for iOS users than for Android.

I have no idea how this could be. Are there a small percentage of Android guys massively abusing old unlimited data plans? Do android apps use more bandwidth serving Ads? Any suggestions anybody?

• Reply 14 of 22
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

I was browsing some stuff from Nielsen because I have no life and I spotted this oddity

The average Android owner uses significantly more bandwidth per month than the average iOS user, but paradoxically the average levels of usage of any high bandwidth activity is higher for iOS users than for Android.

I have no idea how this could be. Are there a small percentage of Android guys massively abusing old unlimited data plans? Do android apps use more bandwidth serving Ads? Any suggestions anybody?

My best guess would the ads
  • Reply 15 of 22
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Great! I'm getting my wifi iPad 2 on Tuesday! Yay! With my iP4 am good to go.

Hey guys, should I spend the extra $130 and get a wifi/3g...so I can run GPS on my iPad 2?

Also, I have an original intel iMac. with an old Airport Extreme...I think it's "g" would I see a big speed difference with "N" router? (on my iPad 2/iP4 not my iMac!)

Thanks guys!

Have a great 4th everyone (everyone Stateside, that is!)
  • Reply 17 of 22
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    insult removed
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

some time I feel like Wowbagger, the Infinitely Prolonged

You know, he will insult every living being in the universe - in alphabetical order. He appears in the novel Life, the Universe and Everything, while insulting Arthur Dent with the phrase, "You're a jerk, a complete arsehole" (in the US changed to "...complete kneebiter"). Later, after Arthur escapes prehistoric Earth, Wowbagger shows up again in the present, but when he sees Arthur he says, "I've done you before, haven't I?"

Wowbagger makes a return in the novel And Another Thing... in his ship, the Tanngrisnir where he falls in love with Trillian, fights with Thor (during which he loses his immortality, but survives) and calls Zaphod "a fat arse".

Wowbagger is also present in The Private Life of Genghis Khan,[20] where he insults Genghis Khan, provoking him to burn down large segments of Asia.

But in you case you are so stupid you are beyond an asshole gee

Huh? Hope ur not married! Toxic, dude!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I am getting about 106,284 iPad and Universal and 383,985 iPhone apps in the App Store.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Heh - on the subject of Android market fragmentation - from thisismynext.com

Skype has finally flipped the switch on video calling in its Android app for four phones so far